Newbie Scope Power Question

longrie

First, let me say how much I enjoy this site. I have been a long-time lurker here reading up and soaking in information on this site for some period of time. I have gleaned a great deal of knowledge and for that I say - THANK YOU!

Now here comes post numero uno for me. I have hunted a good deal in the West and taken shots out to 400 yards using both a .340 WBY mag and a .270 with a 3.5-10X44 Zeiss Conquest scope on them. I am looking to move my maximum range out to not more than 700 yards and will be setting my scope on a .257 WBY mag that I have. I am going to go with a Zeiss Conquest again as I absolutely love them for the money. My question is this:

6.5-20
or
4.5-14

I am leaning towards the 20X as the weight, size and money are not all that different. I am also thinking Z-Plex reticle with target knobs then getting them etched for my load in the .257.

Thoughts please guys - tell me what you think and if I should look at something else.

Thanks!

Jason

I am going to suggest that you look at the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50. You can get it in either the first focal plane or second focal plane reticle. One of the reasons I suggest you look it over is that it has illumination (that I find to be very helpful at dusk or dawn) and the glass is excellent. I chose the FFP MOA version but that was because I like MOA. I have compared it against my Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X50 and the Vortex has a little better resolution. There have been some problems getting the Viper PST (don't get the plain Viper) but I think there are a number of stocking dealers that have them in stock now. Cameraland is one of those who usually carries them in stock. I really like their FFP MOA reticle. The illumination does have to be turned up to the highest two settings to be seen in daylight but that leaves the lower settings for a dark environment or night vision. Vortex does have a zero stop but it requires shims to be put in and it is not as clean a solution as some. However, I really like the scope and prefer it to my Leupold.

If you're going to make 700 yards your max then I would suggest the 4.5-14 only because of a better field of view at the low power.

If your favorite country to hunt is like here where I'm at with large open south facing slopes and timbered north facing slopes and most shots are 200 yards and out the 6.5-20 would be a better choice.

With that said I prefer the 4-16 scopes because of the good field of view for timber yet plenty power cross canyon.

I should add: in additon to the the 3.50-10X44 Zeiss I also have a straight 4X scope on my eastern hunting rifle. This set up would be primarily for antelope in the west on the .257 and possibly in years where I don't have a tag I'd throw it on my .204 Ruger.

The FOV difference is not huge between the 14X and 20X from my memory.

either one, the 4.5X14 or the 6.5X20 i have shot both my vx3 out past a 1000yrds without any trouble, if your hunting where you might get in close you will probably like the 4.5 X 14 for the fact that you can turn it down a bit farther, I prefer the higher power 6.5 X20 as most of my shots are 500 yrds and beyond in big open basins.

First, let me say how much I enjoy this site. I have been a long-time lurker here reading up and soaking in information on this site for some period of time. I have gleaned a great deal of knowledge and for that I say - THANK YOU!

Now here comes post numero uno for me. I have hunted a good deal in the West and taken shots out to 400 yards using both a .340 WBY mag and a .270 with a 3.5-10X44 Zeiss Conquest scope on them. I am looking to move my maximum range out to not more than 700 yards and will be setting my scope on a .257 WBY mag that I have. I am going to go with a Zeiss Conquest again as I absolutely love them for the money. My question is this:

6.5-20
or
4.5-14

I am leaning towards the 20X as the weight, size and money are not all that different. I am also thinking Z-Plex reticle with target knobs then getting them etched for my load in the .257.

Thoughts please guys - tell me what you think and if I should look at something else.

Thanks!

Jason
Out to 700yds for deer sized game the 10x is plenty. If you like the Conquest as much as I do, just go to the 4.5-14x if you are on a budget.

I've killed coyotes out to 1000 with the same scope..

+1 for the viper PST The 44mm objective one can be had for 600-ish and is excellent glass. In fact it's going on the Stevens build. A 3/4 MOA or better rifle with glass for 1500 bucks out the door is hard to beat. Oh by the way buy another barrel and You can change calibers in ten minutes. Add another 20 to re-zero glass and input data in ballistics calculator. Also the standard Viper is a good choice. Than in the 1k category you have Leupold and Nightforce, the hands down winner being NF. "Tactical" scopes are well suited to long range hunting for the same reason they are well suited to combat. Rugged, good glass, repeatable clicks and range estimating reticle.

As scopes go best glass per price point I rate them in this order
Really Cheap: <300 Sightmark
Cheap Vortex >400Viper
Cheapish <600 Viper PST
Mid range <1000 NightForce
Expensive <2000 US Optics SN3
Uber expensive <3000 Schmidt and bender

Honorable Mention Nikon, Trijicon, Bushnell, Leupold (Mk4 or VXL) Redfield for short range flat shooting rounds.

You Mileage may very but go to a F-class and benchrest Competition and look at what glass the scope are wearing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.