Newbie - Need help choosing a hunting caliber

hotbuzz

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and to long range shooting.
I've been hunting for many years now but until recently haven't thought about shooting long range. (Max I've ever taken an animal is ~300 yards)
I'm looking to get a setup for shooting deer, elk and bear up to possibly 1000 yards.
I want a caliber that won't break the bank since I don't reload.
Has plenty of stopping power for big animals at up to 1000 yards.
I currently shoot a 7mm rem mag and have been happy with it at the ranges that I use it at (under 400 yards).
Any recommendations for a good caliber that meets these specs? so far I'm debating between a 300 win mag or just getting a better 7RM setup, but I'm looking for more opinions.

Also if you have any recommendations for rifles let me know, I'm hoping to spend no more than $2000 on a setup right now.

Thanks!

I've been hunting for many years now but until recently haven't thought about shooting long range. (Max I've ever taken an animal is ~300 yards)
I'm looking to get a setup for shooting deer, elk and bear up to possibly 1000 yards.
I currently shoot a 7mm rem mag and have been happy with it at the ranges that I use it at (under 400 yards).
Any recommendations for a good caliber that meets these specs? so far I'm debating between a 300 win mag or just getting a better 7RM setup, but I'm looking for more opinions.

Also if you have any recommendations for rifles let me know, I'm hoping to spend no more than $2000 on a setup right now.

Thanks!
You are going to have a hard time finding any factory ammo that can provide you the necessary accuracy for shooting game at 1,000yds. If that is your eventual goal you really will need at some point to wrap yourself around the idea of handloading.

The 7mm's are a bit light for elk and big bears but with the right bullet put in the right spot should get the job done.

Here though is the quandary, is it ever wise to bring "just enough gun to get the job done"? No, that's simply not a logical way to approach it so my advice would be to go with the 300wm or 300 Norma.

Personally my "go to" for nearly everything is the 7mm STW but I also shoot both the 300wm and 300 Rum and enjoy both of them.

You'd be very hard pressed to beat the performance of the Remington 5R in 300wm. I have the Gen II version which is still stainless but it comes from the factory in a very nice flat black color and with a good stock. Have a gunsmith work over the trigger and bed it (including checking to make sure it's fully floated) and you have a great shooting rig right out of the box. Should you want to do any more upgrading/customizing on it in the future there's an all but completely unlimited amount of aftermarket upgrades available.

I also own a half dozen Sendero II's (SF) and while they have all shot pretty well for me overall the only one that gets close to matching the 5R's performance is the .220 Swift which is the same basic rifle as the Sendero but is called the VSSFII instead of Sendero SFII.

You can order these through Bud's Gun Shop and while you might find one on special some place a little cheaper if you look long enough and hard enough but not easily.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+Gen2+Model+700+5R+.300+Winchester+Magnum+24"

The other rifle I bought recently that is performing outstanding for me is the Ruger Hawkeye FTW edition. It's a good bit lighter than the Remington and is also shooting exceptionally well for what I have in it.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog.../719010165/Ruger+47146+Hawkeye+FTW+Hunter,+BA

I bought one of each of these in the last few months in .260 Remington and they are both exceptional rifles at very good prices. Both in fact are performing considerably better than expected even shooting factory ammo.

Pair the rifle with a good VX-3I 4.5-14x50 and you'll have a great starter rig at or below your 2,000.00 price.

Thanks!

7mmRM and .300WM are so close, I'd just stick with 7mm RM. Invest in a reloading setup. Like WildRose said, you most-likely won't find factory ammo that is consistant enough for you to shoot at 1000 yards.

For large game at those distances, it will require specially loaded ammo tuned for your specific rifle.

Invest in a reloading setup, and learn to reload properly...And it will pay for itself in the end.

What make and model rifle are you shooting now? If you are shooting a Remington 700 or something common like that, you will be better off (and cheaper) having a new aftermarket barrel put on it by a gunsmith, than dropping the money on a whole new factory rifle.

Thanks!

It boils down to end-user's personal preference between the 7MM Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag.

The .300 Win Mag is my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards (others have used it further but it's my self-imposed limit at this time).

ABM now sells ammo loaded with 215 and 230 Bergers, 300 Winchester Magnum Ammunition. Having said that, handloading is best as others pointed out.

1000 yards shots does not happen overnight, practice, practice, practice ...

Here's for your consideration, >>> Build Your E.R. Shaw Mk. VII Rifle, You can have nice set-up for under $1K and is very DIY friendly should you decide in the future.

If you opt for the link above and .300 Win Mag, IIWY, I'd go with 26" and 1:9" or faster twist to take advantage of the heavier and higher BC bullet offerings.

Good luck!

Ed

7mmRM and .300WM are so close, I'd just stick with 7mm RM. Invest in a reloading setup. Like WildRose said, you most-likely won't find factory ammo that is consistant enough for you to shoot at 1000 yards.

For large game at those distances, it will require specially loaded ammo tuned for your specific rifle.

Invest in a reloading setup, and learn to reload properly...And it will pay for itself in the end.

What make and model rifle are you shooting now? If you are shooting a Remington 700 or something common like that, you will be better off (and cheaper) having a new aftermarket barrel put on it by a gunsmith, than dropping the money on a whole new factory rifle.

Was thinking the same thing

You are going to have a hard time finding any factory ammo that can provide you the necessary accuracy for shooting game at 1,000yds. If that is your eventual goal you really will need at some point to wrap yourself around the idea of handloading.

The 7mm's are a bit light for elk and big bears but with the right bullet put in the right spot should get the job done.

Here though is the quandary, is it ever wise to bring "just enough gun to get the job done"? No, that's simply not a logical way to approach it so my advice would be to go with the 300wm or 300 Norma.

Thanks wildrose,
I am absolutely for hand loading in the future, I just know that I won't have the time at the moment, but I am interested in doing it. Yes I definitely want plenty of stopping power since this is going to be my new main hunting rifle, I don't like the idea of taking a shot that won't bring down whatever I'm shooting at quickly.
I will check out those rifles that you listed, thanks for the help!

Mudrunner,
I'm currently shooting a Savage Model III, nothing fancy but It works well since I love to hunt in the rain and it tends to get a little beat up from that.
I would prefer to get a whole new rifle and then just upgrade certain things over time.
Thanks for your input!

It boils down to end-user's personal preference between the 7MM Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag.

The .300 Win Mag is my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards (others have used it further but it's my self-imposed limit at this time).

ABM now sells ammo loaded with 215 and 230 Bergers, 300 Winchester Magnum Ammunition. Having said that, handloading is best as others pointed out.

Here's for your consideration, >>> Build Your E.R. Shaw Mk. VII Rifle, You can have nice set-up for under $1K and is very DIY friendly should you decide in the future.

If you opt for the link above and .300 Win Mag, IIWY, I'd go with 26" and 1:9" or faster twist to take advantage of the heavier and higher BC bullet offerings.

Good luck!

Ed

Feenix,
Thaks for the input! I'll check that link out, and yes I do plan on practicing a lot with this new rifle, I want to get really good with it and don't plan on shooting over say 600 yards for a while until I get myself dialed in more than the rifle.
Thanks again!

Thanks wildrose,
I am absolutely for hand loading in the future, I just know that I won't have the time at the moment, but I am interested in doing it. Yes I definitely want plenty of stopping power since this is going to be my new main hunting rifle, I don't like the idea of taking a shot that won't bring down whatever I'm shooting at quickly.

Mudrunner,
I'm currently shooting a Savage Model III, nothing fancy but It works well since I love to hunt in the rain and it tends to get a little beat up from that.
I would prefer to get a whole new rifle and then just upgrade certain things over time.
Thanks for your input!

Good luck!

Ed

Feenix,
Thaks for the input! I'll check that link out, and yes I do plan on practicing a lot with this new rifle, I want to get really good with it and don't plan on shooting over say 600 yards for a while until I get myself dialed in more than the rifle.
Thanks again!

Thanks wildrose,

Mudrunner,
Thanks for your input!

Feenix,
Thanks again!
While it seems there is little difference in a 7mm and 7.62mm bullet at a glance there really are substantial differences.

Look for instance at the energy of a 7mm RM firing a 162gr projectile at average velocity and compare it to a 300wm firing a 190gr bullet of the same type. That energy makes a tremendous difference when it comes to penetration and to the hydrostatic shock.

Even at low end velocities not only is the energy substantially better with the 300 when your shot placement isn't perfect there's also a physical size difference that gives the advantage to the larger diameter bullet because it contacts substantially more of the body tissue physically as it is passing through.

Now I am not a guy that likes to see massive exit wounds, to me no matter what the caliber I really don't like seeing an exit much bigger than a golf ball and minimal wasted meat as a result.

We have a dear family friend that has killed truck loads of elk and semi loads of deer with a 7mm RM but he's also the best natural shooter I have ever known and rarely would you see him not get perfect or near perfect shot placement.

Sometimes we see waves of a terrible disease pass through here, called "Cannonitis". It makes folks believe they've got to have the latest, fastest, biggest case, and biggest bullet to kill an elk or a moose and it then comes time for a reality check.

The flipside of that however is the school of thought that says, "Bring just enough gun to get the job done". Well, if you follow that philosophy there will be times you just didn't bring enough gun to get the job done and end up losing a wounded animal or having to put several into the animal or just end up with a long and unpleasant tracking job.

My preference is for the 7mm STW in almost every case for deer and larger game but the .300wm is the SUV of rifle cartridges and like I say, "The .300wm is never the wrong answer".

You can in most cases get the job done with less but there's no benefit in not being prepared to show up with enough gun to always get the job done as long as you can make a decent shot.

For someone new to long range hunting you need to put in a lot of time practicing so I think it's a great idea to have two rifles of the same platform, one in something like the 300wm and another in .260 Rem or 6.5cm. The latter two ballistically as far as drop and wind effects on the bullet very similar to the .300wm but are considerably less expensive to shoot and don't beat on you so you end up enjoying your practice sessions more and as a result go more often and shoot more when you do.

Once you get your skills pretty well honed you'll find it's a blast shooting prairie dogs and predators with the 6.5's and it's well worth scheduling such a trip every year outside of deer/elk/moose seasons to get that kind of practice in if you can manage to do so.

Shooting is supposed to be fun, not something you dread but know you need to do it to develop the skills necessary for the big game hunting.

While it seems there is little difference in a 7mm and 7.62mm bullet at a glance there really are substantial differences.

Look for instance at the energy of a 7mm RM firing a 162gr projectile at average velocity and compare it to a 300wm firing a 190gr bullet of the same type. That energy makes a tremendous difference when it comes to penetration and to the hydrostatic shock.

Even at low end velocities not only is the energy substantially better with the 300 when your shot placement isn't perfect there's also a physical size difference that gives the advantage to the larger diameter bullet because it contacts substantially more of the body tissue physically as it is passing through.

Now I am not a guy that likes to see massive exit wounds, to me no matter what the caliber I really don't like seeing an exit much bigger than a golf ball and minimal wasted meat as a result.

We have a dear family friend that has killed truck loads of elk and semi loads of deer with a 7mm RM but he's also the best natural shooter I have ever known and rarely would you see him not get perfect or near perfect shot placement.

Sometimes we see waves of a terrible disease pass through here, called "Cannonitis". It makes folks believe they've got to have the latest, fastest, biggest case, and biggest bullet to kill an elk or a moose and it then comes time for a reality check.

The flipside of that however is the school of thought that says, "Bring just enough gun to get the job done". Well, if you follow that philosophy there will be times you just didn't bring enough gun to get the job done and end up losing a wounded animal or having to put several into the animal or just end up with a long and unpleasant tracking job.

My preference is for the 7mm STW in almost every case for deer and larger game but the .300wm is the SUV of rifle cartridges and like I say, "The .300wm is never the wrong answer".

You can in most cases get the job done with less but there's no benefit in not being prepared to show up with enough gun to always get the job done as long as you can make a decent shot.

For someone new to long range hunting you need to put in a lot of time practicing so I think it's a great idea to have two rifles of the same platform, one in something like the 300wm and another in .260 Rem or 6.5cm. The latter two ballistically as far as drop and wind effects on the bullet very similar to the .300wm but are considerably less expensive to shoot and don't beat on you so you end up enjoying your practice sessions more and as a result go more often and shoot more when you do.

Once you get your skills pretty well honed you'll find it's a blast shooting prairie dogs and predators with the 6.5's and it's well worth scheduling such a trip every year outside of deer/elk/moose seasons to get that kind of practice in if you can manage to do so.

Shooting is supposed to be fun, not something you dread but know you need to do it to develop the skills necessary for the big game hunting.

So since you brought up the size of the wound and wasting meat, How does the 300 handle at closer range say 100-300 yards? is it going to obliterate a deer compared to my 7mm? I do believe in proper shot placement over blasting away at every opportunity.
I like the idea of getting a couple more rifles for different longer range applications although its not quite in the books right now.

Thanks for the advice!

get a rem 700 long range. put a new trigger in it. shoot it. if it does not get you as far as you want accurately. put a krieger barrel on it.

My go to elk rifle is my 700 sendero 300 RUM shooting 200gr accubonds. Just to see how it would do last year I shot a whitetail buck at about 90 yards. I purposely waited for a broadside shot behind the shoulder to avoid as much meat damage as possible. I've shot deer with a 270 that had more damage than what the RUM did.

For long range work up to elk sized game something like a 300 RUM will do everything a 300 WM will do just with more authority. If you don't plan on handloading for a while a 300 WM makes more sense and will be more cost efficient. If you intend to shoot long range then practice is part of the equation. I would consider something like a 300WM or if handloading is a certain in the future then maybe a RUM. Keep the 7 mag and use if for smaller game in closer and use the new gun for more of your dedicated long range rig.

If your not going to be hunting high steep terrain then the sendero is a great platform. Stainless barrel for bad weather, comes with a nice HS stock, and mine shoots handloads at .25-.5 moa. For a dedicated long range rig it is one of the best factory options in my opinion.

So since you brought up the size of the wound and wasting meat, How does the 300 handle at closer range say 100-300 yards? is it going to obliterate a deer compared to my 7mm? I do believe in proper shot placement over blasting away at every opportunity.
I like the idea of getting a couple more rifles for different longer range applications although its not quite in the books right now.

Thanks for the advice!

Bullet choice will be the most noticeable difference here. Not so much displacement. Bullets designed for good weight retention but soft enough to expand at low vel are what is in order.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts