Help choosing a caliber

I do not own a 6.5 creedmore, I do however have a 6.5x55 Swede in a Tikka T3 hunter and a .243 in an older savage heavy barrel. When I go to shoot steel, predators, or prairie dogs, I grab the .243. It is a pleasant gun to shoot, all day. Mine can only stabilize 87gr Berger with its factory twist rate. It was my first gun when I was 12 years old and has taken dozens of deer and a few antelope just a touch past 400 yards. When on stand for coyotes, most of my family and friends bring a .223 AR-15 and then the coyote appears at 4-500 yards and I'm the only one shooting. :)

260 Rem or 6.5 PRC. My 12 y/o grandson took a buck with a PRC this year at 404 yards and commented that he was able to watch the deer go down in the scope after the shot. Basically no felt recoil with a brake. He ended up shooting it in the hind quarter and the 143 ELD-X traveled far enough to put a hole through the heart. I have still never taken game with a 6.5 but it has been perfect for everyone using my 6.5s over the past few years.
BD84B43A-F232-446A-A46E-1E5515900A9C.jpeg

I think Feenix hit the nail on the head. I am over thinking it and complicating it. The response on this topic has been great and I appreciate all the information. I believe I have decided on the 6.5cm. I like the idea of being able to have the choice of a heavier bullet for larger came if I want or lighter ones for predators and varmint. Thanks for all the help

I think Feenix hit the nail on the head. I am over thinking it and complicating it. The response on this topic has been great and I appreciate all the information. I believe I have decided on the 6.5cm. I like the idea of being able to have the choice of a heavier bullet for larger came if I want or lighter ones for predators and varmint. Thanks for all the help
If you're stuck on a creed for your intended purposes check out the Remington 85198

In a 10tw the 87 vmax at 3350 does the work for sure. Easy with a 26" barrel and more than a few powders. 100v rl19 rl17 varget is a bit limited in speed but H1000 will pressure with top velocity. That has the added bonus of being more throat friendly than the 4350 speed powders.
The creed is a fun cartridge for sure as well. Doesn't have the red mist speed of the various 6mm's but will get it done on bigger game. Both have lapua peterson adg and alpha brass. Both have some of the best bullets made.
I'd get the 243 this year and the 6.5 next if I were you. I already have both now:cool: Neither made it to the range last week

I've killed multiple mule deer and blacktail with 6x47 Lapua, pretty much a 243. But if I were you I'd get a 6.5. I also own a 7 rem mag and if using equivalent quality brass and bullets it is definitely cheaper to load for the 6.5. Less powder, cheaper bullets, and longer brass life.

The 6.5 Creedmore has a LOT going for it, no question. But, you might want to take a look at the 280 (7mm-06 or 7 mm Remington Express as it's been known in the past), and if you like the 7mms a 7mm-08. That's if you like the 7mm. The 280 can pack very close to the same punch as the 7 Mag without the punishing recoil of a medium weight rifle. The 7mm-08 will accomplish anything a .308 will do and at longer ranges because the ballistic coeffecients of the 7mm are that much better. Look at the energy of a 300 win mag and you'll see that they are lethal out to 1000 yds. The 7mm Mag is good to 1500 yards... But the 6.5 Creedmore has even better ballistics.
Before the advent of the 6.5, I have built or bought a 7mm-08, 280 and 7mm Mag (and still have them). The 7 Mag is very heavy because of the 26" heavy fluted barrel and Choate Machine and Tool Tactical stock, so recoil isn't an issue. But, at 13 Lbs., I won't drag it around the mountains.

My vote is for the 243. Easy to shoot. Easy to reload for, very forgiving on load selection. Cheap to reload and ammo cheap to buy. Everyone should have at least one nice 243.
YUP ,..THIS ^^^ I just bought a Tikka T3 in .243 Win and OMG is it accurate and PLEASANT to shoot ! The 1-10 Twist, .243 Win., shoots from, "Bugholes" to less than 1/2" groups with, the #1510 80 gr Sierra Blitz's and close to the same groups with, the 87 V-Maxes ! I'm enjoying my new, T3 at 7.5 Pounds, sporting a 4.5-14X Burris with, the light recoil and flat shooting .243 round for, Steel Plates, Varmints to Deer sized Game ! WHY punish yourself with, MORE recoil than 90 grain Bullets ??? Good Luck with, YOUR,.... choice !

Tikka 243 is your answer, 45.9 grains of Accurate 4350 will push a 90 grain Sierra Gamechanger bullet, BC for the bullet is .490 and at over 3300 feet per second, this load will shoot flatter than a 6.5 cm by about 80 inches at 1000 yards and will only have 50 foot pounds less energy than than the 6.5 at 1000 yards shooting a 130 grain ELDX. It is cheaper to load this 243 than to load a 6.5cm. All my info is from a "Pact" chronograph and Hornady ballistics computer. Not only does this load shoot better than moa it has Crushed several whitetail and coyotes at assorted ranges and a few steel plates.

P.S. All of this info is on line, No Hype just facts ! Happy Hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.