New toy from Fort Shaw Mt....

Geeze louise heavy. If I find some time, I have got to contact you and go shoot together. I would love to see some of kirbys workmanship in action. I bet just standing near one of those rifles will make me a better shot. Those are some great looking guns. I normally have sunday and monday off (sorta) but I am right in the middle of bear season and juggling 2 jobs. Like I said if I see a sunday available coming up maybe we can get together.

4ked Horn:

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to see some of kirbys workmanship in action

[/ QUOTE ]
It would be worth the price of admission. They are super and shoot as good, if not better, as they look.

[ QUOTE ]
I bet just standing near one of those rifles will make me a better shot

[/ QUOTE ]
Standing near one of them would, first of all, probably make you quite a bit poorer, because you'd probably have to have one. If you shoot it, then you're hooked, so be careful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hvyw8t:

Looks like you're finding out what it's like to be able to consistently bust sub-moa targets at extreme ranges with the 7mm AM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Usually when going shooting I take along a few gallon milk jugs filled with water. The reactive targets are really fun and to be able to consistently bust jugs at 800 to 1000 yards plus will put a grin on just about anybody's face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I always have a spray can of fluorescent orange paint along and some times, if needed because of light conditions, I'll spray them with a quick shot of the paint. Makes them look like a clay pigeon at 1000 yards and a can of paint will last a season or more of shooting. A few drops of bright food coloring also makes it a little more spectacular when they blow.

I know what you mean about the 200s hitting something. They do have a tendency to move the terrain around when they hit something.

Good luck with your future testing and keep us posted as to the results.

Hvyw8t,

Looks pretty good!! I think any critters in your area that are at least as large as a rockchuck will be in serious trouble at 1/2 mile and even further.

Good shooting and keep us posted as you push her out to 1K and beyond.

Don;t shoot her to much, need to save some of that barrel life for this seasons big game hunting, I want some pictures to hang on the wall!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bet your already laying awake at night thinking about how that 1/2 mile reach will increase your chances on big game this fall. I do that all the time!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the update.

Kirby Allen(50)

SS7mm,

Hvyw8t has been a customer of mine for quite a while. He has ordered many smaller caliber rifles from me and I am ALWAYS amazed at the tiny little groups he sends back to me from these rifles.

The reason I am suprised is because he shoots them into tighter groups then I ever could. The last couple rifles have been larger rounds, 257 STW and finally he took the plung on one of these crazy 7mm AMs. Again, he shoots them as well or better then I can.

For that matter, so do you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Good to have great customers that can load and shoot this well, good advertisement. Lets me sleep well at night also!!

Kirby Allen(50)

The 7Am looks very impressive , what would be the benifit of it over the 270Am.
Is their realy enough performance gained over the 270 to warent the extra cost of the Lapua brass? for say deer out to 1000 yds

JDJones,

If your looking at "ease of loading", the 270 AM kicks the heck out of the 7mm AM for the level of performance you will get.

The 7mm AM will drive a 200 gr ULD RBBT to 3200 fps, the 270 AM will drive a 169.5 gr ULD RBBT to 3350 fps and some are pushing 3400 fps.

I will say there is more to be had with the 7mm AM but we have to work on bullets that will handle the strains of this round. So far we have proven that 3300 fps is possible with a 200 gr bullet but at these velocities, extraction gets a bit sticky and the rotational strains are a bit much for the 200 gr ULD RBBT.

I am testing other twist rates right now to try to find a combination that will allow this round to run full tilt with good bullet performance. Seems the 1-7 may be more then we need for the 200 gr ULD RBBT but when the 225 and 250 gr pills get here it will be very useful.

The 270 AM is so easy to load for and very high in performance so its hard to beat to be honest, especially in a Rem 700 based rifle, very easy to build a 270 AM in this receiver.

With the soon to be released 185 gr ULD RBBT for the 270 AM I suspect it will produce velocities in the 3150 to 3200 fps which will nearly match the 7mm AM ballistically. Terminally, the heavier bullet will be packing more energy and penetrate deeper in the 7mm but both will be amazing to say the least.

The main advantage of the 7mm AM is what you are calling a disadvantage, that being the Lapua cases. Very strong, very high quality.

Its really a personal preference, if your looking for ease of loading in one of the Allen Magnums, the 270 AM is head and shoulders better then all the rest if thats the only thing your looking at comparing the rounds.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.