New to reloading

Received a rock chucker for my 12th birthday and most of the related handloading tools of the time. Now handloading for over 100 calibers have added a pact electronic scale and continue to use that original Rock chucker 45yrs later

Ahh, those days are gone...... I got my first shotgun when I was 12 and it hung on my gunrack above my bed along with the ammo in my squirrel vest. Can you imagine telling someone you got your kid some primers, powder brass and a press for his 12th birthday. Hahaha

They would haul us of to jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor..
I have a Forester and a Hornady Lock n Load. The Forester does all of my large primer stuff and the Hornady does the small primer stuff.

You are starting off spoiled. The BBII drops the primers down through the center of the ram. You've cheated yourself out of the joy of picking spent primers up off of the floor.

Good choice by the way. Was your press part of a kit?

Now you will start to learn the value of good hand tools for case prep. I like things that are sufficiently large so my hands don't cramp during use. Things like the Lyman large deburring tool and Lee's ball handle case trimmer. EJS tools are especially nice for primer pocket uniforming and flash hole deburring.

Give us an update.

I didn't buy a kit just bought out right, started to buy a electric case prep center, for the $ propbly been the same, but I enjoy doing things by hand, everything hasnt arrived here yet. bb2 I got for 160$ at brownells on sale, and got this for my case prep Lyman Ultimate Case Preparation Kit found it a brownells on sale for 80, got a Frankford arsenal tumbler at midway on sale for 30 something. I'll be doing low volume reloading, my goal is accuracy..... not saving money, I'll have a fortune in my reloading stuff, take forever to come out in the $$$$ department.

I load 45-70, 7mm RM, 25-06, 223 and 221 Fireball. Used to load 300 WM. Only cheap ammo was 223 but the stuff I make is a lot better than factory. Some of the bigger stuff is around $50 for 20. Return on investment is pretty quick.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.