New to reloading

Tulefog

Hi,
I'm new to reloading, I'm looking to get a good set up for 300RUM and 556. Looking at Redding Turret press and Redding type S die sets. Any thoughts?

Hi,
I'm new to reloading, I'm looking to get a good set up for 300RUM and 556. Looking at Redding Turret press and Redding type S die sets. Any thoughts?

They are very good!

For your 5.56 you might consider the small base from RCBS.

P2231596_zps1a9493f9.jpg

P2231597_zps9fe328ec.jpg

More reloading info here >>> http://ar15armory.com/forums/topic/55192-reloading-223556/

the redding turret press is an excellant choice. IMHO the best turret press on the market.
As for dies all of the US dies are also excellant quality. Take your time to read the set up and care instructions you cant go wrong

If you're reloading for hunting purposes the turret press will do just fine. If you're loading for competition I'd recommend a cast iron 'O' frame single stage press like the Redding Big Boss II or the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, etc.
The Redding dies, which are excellent, will fit either of those. RCBS dies are also very well made.

DITTO......Rockchucker press Redding S dies for the RUM. If the 5.56 is for a semi-auto with that semi-auto hunger for ammo ( mine always seems to overeat ) a single stage press may not be my choice. Maybe a T-7 turret press would better meet your needs. Look at the T-7 if you are going to go turret for sure.

for the kind of money involved with the Redding T7, you could buy the Forster Co-Ax and be a step ahead in the game plan. Albeit the Co-Ax is about maxed out (lengthwise) with the 300 Ultra mag. But it has more than enough power to full length size (more than the ones mentioned in the other posts).

Die wise, it's your call. I wouldn't waste my money on Redding dies. Perhaps a Lee Collet die? Buy the Forster seater (the Redding is an over priced copy and still not as good). For a full length die, the generic RCBS, Forster, etc. will do the job nicely and leave cash in your pockets. With the .223, you must either use a small base die for the AR platform. Yet if your shooting a bolt gun, then I'd go with the Lee Collet die and the Forster seater. I would add a Redding body die to the mix, assuming I was using the Lee Collet die.

The only thing better than the above without going the custom die route, is via an arbor press and Wilson inline dies. Even then your maybe looking at five or six tenths difference (TIR)
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts