New To Reloading Please Help!

GBA1776

Formerly 'Savageman69'
Hi everyone.

I am new to reloading I got a setup about two weeks ago and have loaded 150rds and don't have any real "issues" I get pretty darn consistent velocity and am not seeing any loss in accuracy compared with most match grade loads so I know I am doing it "right" but I also know I can do better. I got a 2 hour "crash course" in reloading from the guy at the store, he helped me set up my dies and we loaded ammo in the store as he tried to cram as much knowledge into my head as possible in that short amount of time.

I do have a few questions/concerns and hope that you more experienced guys can help me out and maybe give me tips on improving my setup/technique so bear with me as I walk through my process.

I have a Hornady Lock and Load press kit with RCBS dies a Full Length sizing die and a seating/crimping die I'm using a Hornady digital scale and Hornady's powder measure with Lee case trimmer tools. I am loading for .223/5.56 and I have cases segregated and different loads for each case type.

I am hand cleaning my used brass, brake clean for the outside and a good wipe down which is slow but it works and I will invest in a media tumbler later, a primer pocket cleaner and and old bore brush for the inside of the case, I am not going crazy I am just knocking some of the fouling out of the inside, cleaning the primer pocket and making sure the outside is clean and free of any debris that will scratch my dies. I make sure the cases are totally dry before I do anything else.

I then lay cases out on a blue shop towel usually 10 at a time and spray them down with Hornady case lube that came with the kit, I roll them to distribute the lube and remove any excess, the cases have a thin oily film on them, they are slippery but not dripping lube, I inspect the cases before they go into the sizing die. The sizing and de-priming process goes smooth the press goes "over center" and the top of the ram and the die are making light contact. Coming back out I have no issues although some of the case necks are tighter than others and require a bit more force to get beyond the expander ball.

Here is my first question/concern. My book says trim 5.56 to 1.250 but my Lee case trimmer stops cutting at 1.256" I cant screw the dang thing down any more/tighter and a lot of my cases are at 1.255". The guy in the store said as long as they were all the same length between 1.250-1.260 its fine and less trimming means longer case life. Do you all agree? Should I buy a different case trimmer that will actually get down to 1.250? This ammo is mostly going back in the same gun but I also don't want any issues if I do want to load into a different rifle.

I trim to 1.256" on the 50-60% of cases that will actually need it as stated, I debur inside and out and remove primer crimping since most of my brass is Lake City 5.56.

I then install primers using the tool I got with the Hornady kit no issues here. I never touch the primers they go straight from the box to the tool. The remaining primers go into a sealed container with a couple of silica gel packets.

I have CFE223 powder mainly because it was available in 1lb bottles but am happy with my results so far so I bought 2lbs more and I think I will just stick with it I did lose some because I was an idiot and didn't clean/degrease my powder measure before pouring some into it but I realized it as soon as I did it and I didn't load any contaminated powder and I didn't try to save any of the powder that went into the oily powder measure.

I think I have a very good process for metering out powder (And CFE223 meters extremely well) I keep the hopper topped up to about the same level the whole time to keep steady pressure in the powder column.
I have marked the drum and the frame of the measure so I can run the lever, pouring powder into my pan, then I lift it up about 1/3rd of the way and drop the handle from the same height each time.
I found when I was racking/knocking the drum by the handle after each load was measured to knock out any powder stuck in the exit funnel I was getting a lot of .2-3 gr variation and with the "drop method" from the mark I made I get the same amount within the tolerance of my scale which is 1/10th grain about 80% of the time. If its over I knock a tiny amount of powder back into the hopper if its under I just pour the whole thing back in and try again.

Ive been measuring every charge before I load it into a case. I know its time consuming but I am looking for extreme precision and I don't mind taking my time.

For loads I stopped at 24.5 (.4 under book max) for .223 and 26gr (.5 under book max) for 5.56. I am getting an average of 2638fps and 2784fps out of .223 and 5.56 respectively with Hornady 73gr ELD's in 35-40 degree weather. No excessive pressure signs from each load and accuracy on par with most factory match ammo. Gold Medal Match is still better but I will eventually dethrone that load.

When it comes to seating and crimping I am running into an issue where I get rings from the seating rod around the tips of my bullets they aren't deep but I assume that cant be good for consistency and it seems like I am really having to push on the load lever pretty hard, some cases it takes more effort to seat the bullet than it did to size them. I have also seen a few extremely thin copper shavings appear around the case mouth that I am certain are coming from the bullet jacket. I do my best to set the bullet in the case perfectly plumb vertically before seating.

Am I doing something wrong when seating my rounds? Or anywhere else in my re loading procedure? Is there anything I can do about the ring being left on my rounds during seating? And should I even worry about that?

Sorry for writing a "How I learned to reload on my summer vacation" short story but I figured the more detail I gave the better the help I would receive.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I have also seen a few extremely thin copper shavings appear around the case mouth that I am certain are coming from the bullet jacket.
your not chamfering the inside of your case enough.

I would get a new case trimmer, lap the seating stem with your actual bullet should get rid of the ring.

Sounds like you got a good head start on reloading.

I would anneal after every firing...

As Koda said, you're well on your way. A couple of points:

1. You didn't specify, but it sounds like you're using Hornady One Shot spray lube, and applying it while the cases are lying flat. I have only used two cans of One Shot, as I prefer Imperial die wax, but for me the great benefit of One Shot is that you can lube the inside of the case neck at the same time if you stand the cases up and spray them lightly. I stand them in a tray of some kind, spray them all lightly, wait 30 seconds for that to dry, then rotate the tray 180 degrees and repeat. Two passes will get the inside and ourside of the case necks properly lubed, and you might find you have less problem on the upstroke of the press.

2. The difficulty of seating some bullets, and the thin ring, might be because of different brass hardness and/or case necks that are not chamfered inside sufficiently. You can address hardness by annealing, but you don't want to get into that at this stage of the game, and probably never for .223. Try inside chamfering a little more and see if that solves the problem.

3. The ring around the bullet is partly because of lack of chamfering, but could also because the seating stem does not fit your bullet properly. You could try lapping the seating stem. Not difficult (hand drill with lapping compound), but maybe not necessary when you get the inside of the case mouth chamfered a little more.

Good luck -- you've got a good start. BTW, is this for a bolt gun or a gas gun?

One other thing: I'm not sure the RCBS dies are crimping the cases, but if they are, you might find you don't need to with the bullets you're using. If they are crimping, triy backing the seating die out 1/2 turn (you'll need to turn the stem down the same distance if this works out for you) and that should remove the crimp. If you're picking up copper rings, you most likely have enough neck tension to not need a crimp.

Clean your dies, chamfer/debur every case, do the exact same pressure/force on your press priming, seating bullet, etc. That is imperative if using a progressive press 110%, consistency!!!!! Measuring powder by hand, I finger tap dipper watching digital scales and stop at the exact point it changes to my desired charge weight, in between each 1/10 grain can be many granules of powder dif, your SD and ES will drop dramatically by that alone. Get comparator, use CBTO instead of COAL also helps with Consistency. Do everything exactly the same

I'd get a "VLD" chamfer to stop the shaving of bullets. And keep measuring the powder charge. If you're using Hornady dies then get their seating stem for the ELDM bullets. If you're using other dies then see if there is the appropriate seating stem available. If not google lapping the seating stem with bullets.

Yes, you got a great head start. I agree with all of the above.
Only thing that I'll add is that all my cases get an in/out with a case neck brush with very light lube before sizing. You mention bore brush so maybe your already doing this…

Hi everyone.

I am new to reloading I got a setup about two weeks ago and have loaded 150rds and don't have any real "issues" I get pretty darn consistent velocity and am not seeing any loss in accuracy compared with most match grade loads so I know I am doing it "right" but I also know I can do better. I got a 2 hour "crash course" in reloading from the guy at the store, he helped me set up my dies and we loaded ammo in the store as he tried to cram as much knowledge into my head as possible in that short amount of time.

I do have a few questions/concerns and hope that you more experienced guys can help me out and maybe give me tips on improving my setup/technique so bear with me as I walk through my process.

I have a Hornady Lock and Load press kit with RCBS dies a Full Length sizing die and a seating/crimping die I'm using a Hornady digital scale and Hornady's powder measure with Lee case trimmer tools. I am loading for .223/5.56 and I have cases segregated and different loads for each case type.

I am hand cleaning my used brass, brake clean for the outside and a good wipe down which is slow but it works and I will invest in a media tumbler later, a primer pocket cleaner and and old bore brush for the inside of the case, I am not going crazy I am just knocking some of the fouling out of the inside, cleaning the primer pocket and making sure the outside is clean and free of any debris that will scratch my dies. I make sure the cases are totally dry before I do anything else.

I then lay cases out on a blue shop towel usually 10 at a time and spray them down with Hornady case lube that came with the kit, I roll them to distribute the lube and remove any excess, the cases have a thin oily film on them, they are slippery but not dripping lube, I inspect the cases before they go into the sizing die. The sizing and de-priming process goes smooth the press goes "over center" and the top of the ram and the die are making light contact. Coming back out I have no issues although some of the case necks are tighter than others and require a bit more force to get beyond the expander ball.

Here is my first question/concern. My book says trim 5.56 to 1.250 but my Lee case trimmer stops cutting at 1.256" I cant screw the dang thing down any more/tighter and a lot of my cases are at 1.255". The guy in the store said as long as they were all the same length between 1.250-1.260 its fine and less trimming means longer case life. Do you all agree? Should I buy a different case trimmer that will actually get down to 1.250? This ammo is mostly going back in the same gun but I also don't want any issues if I do want to load into a different rifle.

I trim to 1.256" on the 50-60% of cases that will actually need it as stated, I debur inside and out and remove primer crimping since most of my brass is Lake City 5.56.

I then install primers using the tool I got with the Hornady kit no issues here. I never touch the primers they go straight from the box to the tool. The remaining primers go into a sealed container with a couple of silica gel packets.

I have CFE223 powder mainly because it was available in 1lb bottles but am happy with my results so far so I bought 2lbs more and I think I will just stick with it I did lose some because I was an idiot and didn't clean/degrease my powder measure before pouring some into it but I realized it as soon as I did it and I didn't load any contaminated powder and I didn't try to save any of the powder that went into the oily powder measure.

I think I have a very good process for metering out powder (And CFE223 meters extremely well) I keep the hopper topped up to about the same level the whole time to keep steady pressure in the powder column.
I have marked the drum and the frame of the measure so I can run the lever, pouring powder into my pan, then I lift it up about 1/3rd of the way and drop the handle from the same height each time.
I found when I was racking/knocking the drum by the handle after each load was measured to knock out any powder stuck in the exit funnel I was getting a lot of .2-3 gr variation and with the "drop method" from the mark I made I get the same amount within the tolerance of my scale which is 1/10th grain about 80% of the time. If its over I knock a tiny amount of powder back into the hopper if its under I just pour the whole thing back in and try again.

Ive been measuring every charge before I load it into a case. I know its time consuming but I am looking for extreme precision and I don't mind taking my time.

For loads I stopped at 24.5 (.4 under book max) for .223 and 26gr (.5 under book max) for 5.56. I am getting an average of 2638fps and 2784fps out of .223 and 5.56 respectively with Hornady 73gr ELD's in 35-40 degree weather. No excessive pressure signs from each load and accuracy on par with most factory match ammo. Gold Medal Match is still better but I will eventually dethrone that load.

When it comes to seating and crimping I am running into an issue where I get rings from the seating rod around the tips of my bullets they aren't deep but I assume that cant be good for consistency and it seems like I am really having to push on the load lever pretty hard, some cases it takes more effort to seat the bullet than it did to size them. I have also seen a few extremely thin copper shavings appear around the case mouth that I am certain are coming from the bullet jacket. I do my best to set the bullet in the case perfectly plumb vertically before seating.

Am I doing something wrong when seating my rounds? Or anywhere else in my re loading procedure? Is there anything I can do about the ring being left on my rounds during seating? And should I even worry about that?

Sorry for writing a "How I learned to reload on my summer vacation" short story but I figured the more detail I gave the better the help I would receive.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Like other have said get away from the spray lube and buy yourself some Imperial Sizing Wax it only takes enough to cover the skin on the pad of your index finger to lube a case sufficiently and I only lube every 3 rd case on something as small as 223 but every case on something as large as 30-06 and you can wipe the edge of the throat on the inside of the brass to give the epanding ball a little lubrication every 20 or so I've never seen it matter if you get some Sizing Wax inside the case .Can you tell me why you bought a Hornady press but Rcbs dies??? I have used almost every kind of die and press combo out there in the last 35 years but I find that Lee dies have no problems with build up inside the die and the have a wrench type nut for die adjustment and now have a new style locking nut but I still like the older version.I have some Rcbs dies but have replaced them all with Lee over the years. I just couldn't get past the knurled stems that most people use pliers to tighten them up and I just don't have any place on my reloading bench for Vice Grips or Channel lock pliers( just me nothing wrong with them) other than the marks you are seeing You are definitely ahead of the curve and I wouldn't fret over a few thousands different in OAL if you were shooting a precision rifle in competitions then you would need to invest in a whole different set up like most competitors do.

Last edited:
Welcome to the reloading world. The advice I would give you at this point is to buy a couple of good reloading manuals and read them thoroughly. The rabbit hole is very deep, but can be very rewarding. Consistency is the key. Measure everything and go slowly. Do not get distracted while in reloading room. Trimming brass is my least favorite part of the process. Lastly, be very cautious on using recommended loads from the internet. Use well known manuals and start low on charges and work up.

The only time I have seen bullets shaved was when the cases weren't inside chamfered.
I tried to convince the guy but he just knew it was Noslers fault/junk bullets with weak jackets.
He had chamfered the cases last time he reloaded them...and this time he had trimmed them.
I was just in amazement that he couldn't see that the cases were flat as could be at the mouth.

your not chamfering the inside of your case enough.

I would get a new case trimmer, lap the seating stem with your actual bullet should get rid of the ring.

Sounds like you got a good head start on reloading.

I would anneal after every firing...
I have never heard of lapping the stem.
Got me to thinking... I wonder if anyone has glass bedded their stem?
Might have to use a loaded round or seated factory bullet. Make sure it is a "straight" bullet.
Good idea?

I am set up to process a lot of brass. 223/5.56 in this case: deprime, swage primer pocket, trim, FL size (set headspace to a headspace die; also no expander stem nor depriming), Lyman M die, eject. Notice no chamfering. No need. The slight over-expansion of the M die allows any bullet to be seated without scratching. Then when I load, a taper crimp die puts all the things right in the world, or at least on the case neck.
For custom ammo, i headspace to the gun, not a generic headspace die.
I mostly detest One Shot "lube." I have some and it works when dry. Wet, it is like glue. I use lanolin in alcohol like Dillon sells.