New to long range, looking for setup advice.

Hi all. I am new to this forum, this being my first post.

I started longrange hunting a few years ago, and as I had little funds to purchase the necessary equipment at the time, I repurposed my trusty old Mauser 98 3006. I developed a load using 190gr Bergers doing about 2600ft/s and with a bit of trial and error using a ziess scope was able to shoot steel out to 900 metres.

Long story short, I am a big fan of the 3006, very versatile cartridge even though many of my fellow countrymen think it is overkill for NZ hunting. I now have a better more tailored LR rifle now, but the 3006 still gets used frequently.

I agree with those above in that your 3006 is halfway there, and any spare $$ you have should be put into optics.

Thanks.

Welcome from another newcomer.
I also am a huge fan of the 30-06... it is by far my favorite all around cartridge. If I had to choose only one rifle to keep it would be an '06. Tat being said, I went ahead and picked up the 270 WSM. It's in almost pristine shape, only 23 rounds through it... 20 at the range, one scope check shot at the lease and 2 dead deer. It also came with 6 full boxes of various ammo (minus those last 3 Winchester Ballistic Silvertips.)
I should point out that my reason for picking this rifle up is that it was a deal I could not pass up, and did not cost me any actual cash money... I'm a die-hard horse trader. Any upgrades I do to either of these rifles will be the result of trading and scrounging... so I will work with what I have until I can get into better optics and gear. The new rifle came with a (good but not great) 3-9x40 scope so I'll move that to the '06 and put the 6.5-20x44 on the WSM. I figure If I can learn how to shoot well with the guns and scopes as they are, once I finally get some good glass on the rifles, I'll be even better off. I have hunted with a scope exactly 3 times in my life, so it's really new to me, long range or not. Give me a peep sight or even buckhorns and I'm in my comfort zone.

side note... it is a dream of mine to go hunt NZ... looks like a lot of similarities to some of the ground I roamed in Alaska as a youngster. Those Red Stags are just cool!

Hi all. I am new to this forum, this being my first post.

I started longrange hunting a few years ago, and as I had little funds to purchase the necessary equipment at the time, I repurposed my trusty old Mauser 98 3006. I developed a load using 190gr Bergers doing about 2600ft/s and with a bit of trial and error using a ziess scope was able to shoot steel out to 900 metres.

Long story short, I am a big fan of the 3006, very versatile cartridge even though many of my fellow countrymen think it is overkill for NZ hunting. I now have a better more tailored LR rifle now, but the 3006 still gets used frequently.

I agree with those above in that your 3006 is halfway there, and any spare $$ you have should be put into optics.

Thanks.

Welcome from another newcomer.
I also am a huge fan of the 30-06... it is by far my favorite all around cartridge. If I had to choose only one rifle to keep it would be an '06. Tat being said, I went ahead and picked up the 270 WSM. It's in almost pristine shape, only 23 rounds through it... 20 at the range, one scope check shot at the lease and 2 dead deer. It also came with 6 full boxes of various ammo (minus those last 3 Winchester Ballistic Silvertips.)
I should point out that my reason for picking this rifle up is that it was a deal I could not pass up, and did not cost me any actual cash money... I'm a die-hard horse trader. Any upgrades I do to either of these rifles will be the result of trading and scrounging... so I will work with what I have until I can get into better optics and gear. The new rifle came with a (good but not great) 3-9x40 scope so I'll move that to the '06 and put the 6.5-20x44 on the WSM. I figure If I can learn how to shoot well with the guns and scopes as they are, once I finally get some good glass on the rifles, I'll be even better off. With the exception of shooting ground squirrels with my little 22 as a kid, I have hunted with a scope exactly 3 times in my life, so it's a concept that is really new to me, long range or not. Give me a peep sight or even buckhorns and I'm in my comfort zone.

side note... it is a dream of mine to go hunt in NZ... looks like a lot of similarities to some of the ground I roamed in Alaska as a youngster.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.