New to long range, looking for setup advice.

1187Shooter

Just getting in to long range shooting, in fact I've never really hunted with a scope other than low power (1-4x) once in a while... a long range shot for me has always meant anything past 200 yards.
I've been looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor, and will pick one up soon, but in the meantime I'm replacing my old (1988) 30-06 Ruger with a slightly less old Ruger (Mk2) in 270WSM. I have a friend that does not care for the recoil of his short mag and wants to downgrade.
It is box stock. My first thought is bed and free float, and replace the stock trigger. My 06 is bedded and sports a Timney, and is a very good shooter. It will keep the low power scope, BTW, and remain in service for brush country and stand hunting.
I'm guessing I'll want to (eventually) replace the stock as well, but I don't want to sink a bunch of money into this one (or buy a better one) until I know I'm going to stick with it.
For a scope I have an old Simmons 6.5-20x44 44 Mag with a simple Duplex reticle. This will have to do until I can upgrade... my brother in law has a Vortex with a lighted triangle reticle on his 300WM, and I like that, but I have so little experience with scopes in general that it will take a lot of time, research and hands on to figure out which way I want to go.
A bipod is probably the only other change I'd make. I don't know if there is a 20MOA base for Rugers, and at this point it may or may not even be a priority.
I'm sure a 22" Ruger M77 is not the ideal platform to build a long range gun on, but it's what I have to work with for now...

My last step will be to work up some loads for the 270WSM. Being a 22" barrel I'm starting off with a handicap. Quarry for this rifle could be anything from coyotes on up to elk, so a variety of loads will be needed.

I'll also be working on the aforemetioned 6.5 CM build, probably on a Savage 10 or Ruger American, but that will be another topic at a later date.

Just getting in to long range shooting, in fact I've never really hunted with a scope other than low power (1-4x) once in a while... a long range shot for me has always meant anything past 200 yards.
I've been looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor, and will pick one up soon, but in the meantime I'm replacing my old (1988) 30-06 Ruger with a slightly less old Ruger (Mk2) in 270WSM. I have a friend that does not care for the recoil of his short mag and wants to downgrade.
It is box stock. My first thought is bed and free float, and replace the stock trigger. My 06 is bedded and sports a Timney, and is a very good shooter. It will keep the low power scope, BTW, and remain in service for brush country and stand hunting.
I'm guessing I'll want to (eventually) replace the stock as well, but I don't want to sink a bunch of money into this one (or buy a better one) until I know I'm going to stick with it.
For a scope I have an old Simmons 6.5-20x44 44 Mag with a simple Duplex reticle. This will have to do until I can upgrade... my brother in law has a Vortex with a lighted triangle reticle on his 300WM, and I like that, but I have so little experience with scopes in general that it will take a lot of time, research and hands on to figure out which way I want to go.
A bipod is probably the only other change I'd make. I don't know if there is a 20MOA base for Rugers, and at this point it may or may not even be a priority.
I'm sure a 22" Ruger M77 is not the ideal platform to build a long range gun on, but it's what I have to work with for now...

My last step will be to work up some loads for the 270WSM. Being a 22" barrel I'm starting off with a handicap. Quarry for this rifle could be anything from coyotes on up to elk, so a variety of loads will be needed.

I'll also be working on the aforemetioned 6.5 CM build, probably on a Savage 10 or Ruger American, but that will be another topic at a later date.
Honestly, there isn't a ton of aftermarket support for the Ruger.
My advice would be to SWITCH your thinking and use the 30-06 for LR and switch the 270 to your short range rig.
You said the 06 shoots well and has a trigger so it would most likely be a better LR platform to learn on than the 270. Put the short range scope on the 270 and use the money you would put towards the stock and trigger to buy a decent LR scope.
Dialing a Simmons for LR shooting would scare most on here. Sell it and get a SWFA, Sightron or Vortex that you can either dial or that has a LR reticle in it.
May not be the BEST way to shoot LR but with the situation you are in it would be the cheapest and most direct path.
The 270 even without a 22" barrel is going to be hindered by the twist rate of the barrel while the 30-06 should easily handle some of the lighter LR bullets such as the 185 VLD, 200 ELD-X or 215 Hybrid.

you do not say where you are, what you are shooting at. or what range. believe me a 30-06 is a great long range round. it is the rifle / barrel that determines.... way more than the cartridge.

you do not say where you are, what you are shooting at. or what range. believe me a 30-06 is a great long range round. it is the rifle / barrel that determines.... way more than the cartridge.
Both rifles are 22", 1:10 twist.
I did state that I'd potentially be shooting anything from coyotes to elk, but you're right, I did not say where. The problem is I could be anywhere from the Colorado Rockies to South Louisiana... possibly even the PNW and Alaska. I'm in a very transient industry and I move around alot.
My last hunt was a ranch in central Texas where shots could be anything from up close and personal to 1000 yards plus. I'll be hunting there at least once a year.
I do love my 30-06 though. I have kind of toyed with the idea of doing what you guys suggest. Maybe I will after all. Not sure about the 270WSM as a dedicated shorter range rifle though.
I guess really the thing to do would be put both rifles side by side and work up some loads for each and see where they wind up.

Both rifles are 22", 1:10 twist.
I did state that I'd potentially be shooting anything from coyotes to elk, but you're right, I did not say where. The problem is I could be anywhere from the Colorado Rockies to South Louisiana... possibly even the PNW and Alaska. I'm in a very transient industry and I move around alot.
My last hunt was a ranch in central Texas where shots could be anything from up close and personal to 1000 yards plus. I'll be hunting there at least once a year.
I do love my 30-06 though. I have kind of toyed with the idea of doing what you guys suggest. Maybe I will after all. Not sure about the 270WSM as a dedicated shorter range rifle though.
I guess really the thing to do would be put both rifles side by side and work up some loads for each and see where they wind up.
A 10 twist should run the 150 Berger VLD in the WSM. That would work for LR also. I just think if the 06 shoots well and already has a trigger and stock is bedded you are way ahead in that area. A 270 WSM would be just fine for shorter ranges or load 150 VLDs and run them BOTH at LR.

A 10 twist should run the 150 Berger VLD in the WSM. That would work for LR also. I just think if the 06 shoots well and already has a trigger and stock is bedded you are way ahead in that area. A 270 WSM would be just fine for shorter ranges or load 150 VLDs and run them BOTH at LR.
Any idea if the new 145 grain Hornady ELD-X would give decent performance with this setup? My brother in law just started using the 210 ELD-X in his 300 WM and he really likes them.
While I'm not necessarily a die hard Hornady fan, I am more familiar with their products than any others at this point.

Any idea if the new 145 grain Hornady ELD-X would give decent performance with this setup? My brother in law just started using the 210 ELD-X in his 300 WM and he really likes them.
While I'm not necessarily a die hard Hornady fan, I am more familiar with their products than any others at this point.
Should work fine. Barrels and bullets can be finicky but the twist will shoot the bullet.

I helped a fella tune his Winchester Feather weight '06 with the short 22" barrel. It shot really well.

Using 190 Bergers he and his brother took two nice bull elk at just under 600 yards.

One shot each. Don't recall the MV but it was certainly adequate.

I recon that in your case the scope is going to be more important than the cartridge.

I helped a fella tune his Winchester Feather weight '06 with the short 22" barrel. It shot really well.

Using 190 Bergers he and his brother took two nice bull elk at just under 600 yards.

One shot each. Don't recall the MV but it was certainly adequate.

I recon that in your case the scope is going to be more important than the cartridge.
I'm definitely seeing the potential in setting up the 06 for LR... so maybe, as was suggested earlier, I'll set them both up for LR. I do have a beat up old 303 that could probably be tuned up for shorter range stuff that the 30-30's can't handle. More tinkering ahead for me...

I have setup my 30-06 for longer range shots. I am shooting the 190 berger hunting VLD at 2590 FPS as per a ballistic calculator for the drop I got at 700 yards shooting milk jugs. Haven't actually chrono'd the rounds yet but i also own a 270 wsm and have it setup for long range as well but shooting nosler 140 accubond with decent results. I have taken a moose with the 140 accubond at 150 yards good result but have yet to try the 30-06 with the 190 bergers.

I have setup my 30-06 for longer range shots. I am shooting the 190 berger hunting VLD at 2590 FPS as per a ballistic calculator for the drop I got at 700 yards shooting milk jugs. Haven't actually chrono'd the rounds yet but i also own a 270 wsm and have it setup for long range as well but shooting nosler 140 accubond with decent results. I have taken a moose with the 140 accubond at 150 yards good result but have yet to try the 30-06 with the 190 bergers.

Hi all. I am new to this forum, this being my first post.

I started longrange hunting a few years ago, and as I had little funds to purchase the necessary equipment at the time, I repurposed my trusty old Mauser 98 3006. I developed a load using 190gr Bergers doing about 2600ft/s and with a bit of trial and error using a ziess scope was able to shoot steel out to 900 metres.

Long story short, I am a big fan of the 3006, very versatile cartridge even though many of my fellow countrymen think it is overkill for NZ hunting. I now have a better more tailored LR rifle now, but the 3006 still gets used frequently.

I agree with those above in that your 3006 is halfway there, and any spare $$ you have should be put into optics.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.