New to long range and big game hunting

I started out hunting White Tail with my Remington ADL 270cal. and Killed everything I pointed it at except one huge Buck and I just plain missed while I was walking.People say this cartridge wont this or that.My 1st Elk was killed with that very 1st 270 I got at 12 years old 35 years later..Its all about shot placement.Now with that said bvecause i like to shoot long range I swapped to a &mm Rem Mag many years ago and also own a Browning White Gold Medallion in 7mm Rem. Mag.
But I dont shoot the 7mm Mag for fun like at targets.I shoot the 6,5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel and others. The 6.5 Creemoor will kill about anything you want in North America if you hit it right.
I have a 338 Lapua and a 338 Edge.I will take the Edge over the Lapua any day of the week.
I dont enjoy shooting guns that kick so hard it hurts.Ny Browning A Bolt White Gold Medallion kicked so hard I finally put a Limb-Saver on it and now it's not bad I am going to put a Hell Fire Muzzle Brake on.it though to help reduce the recoil even more.Its so dang pretty I hate to but I hunt with it ..it still just looks new..
The 270 is way under rated in my opinion. It's a great gun with alot if power and shoots much flatter than a 308 Win.

I have a 338 Lapua and a 338 Edge.I will take the Edge over the Lapua any day of the week.
I dont enjoy shooting guns that kick so hard it hurts.Ny Browning A Bolt White Gold Medallion kicked so hard I finally put a Limb-Saver on it and now it's not bad I am going to put a Hell Fire Muzzle Brake on.it though to help reduce the recoil even more.Its so dang pretty I hate to but I hunt with it ..it still just looks new..
The 270 is way under rated in my opinion. It's a great gun with alot if power and shoots much flatter than a 308 Win.
Cool. I'd I'm with you on roil It dont bother me but I can stand a gun that hurts to shoot after couple of shots.and your right a 270 does shoot flatter than my 308

Cool. I'd I'm with you on roil It dont bother me but I can stand a gun that hurts to shoot after couple of shots.and your right a 270 does shoot flatter than my 308

As I previously noted, felt recoil/muzzle rise can easily be mitigated with an effective muzzle brake. We can provide advice, what you do with it is entirely up to you. The video of a 65 lbs 8-year old girl shooting a .300 WM is a prime example.

Last edited:
As I previously noted, felt recoil/muzzle rise can easily be with an effective muzzle brake. We can provide advice, what you do with it is entirely up to you. The video of a 65 lbs 8-year old girl shooting a .300 WM is a prime example.
You are right about that.im thanking hard on a remington 700 5r with threaded barrel in 300 wm

You are right about that.im thanking hard on a remington 700 5r with threaded barrel in 300 wm

Both chambering has a very strong following and will serve you well. Between the two, "I" prefer the .300 WM. I used to have a 7MM RM and 7MM STW. Don't let anyone including myself stir you away from your personal preference.

ADDED:

Depending on source document, the .300 WM has ~10g of H2O more than 7MM RM. This will make more sense when you start reloading.

Last edited:
I do shoot pretty least as much as I can and I do save all my brass and theres no gun clubs near me that i wouldn't have to drive 2 to 3 hrs to go to the nears range to me is 375 yards but I set up targets in my uncle's pasture and can shoot close to 500.i am looking at buying another scope that has a zero stop because I mess up one day and lost count and it took awhile to figure that one out lol.i would be keeping and shooting both my 308s I'm just in market for new rifle right now and yes a kestrel and log book and a laser range finder are in the budget as well
Then pick out the rifle you want in a 7 or 30 mag. Sendero's and 5R Remingtons top the list just because everyone makes parts to improve them. Plan on buying a trigger for sure. If strapped for cash The Remington long range is a sleeper that usually can be made to shoot very well with a little tinkering.

Then pick out the rifle you want in a 7 or 30 mag. Sendero's and 5R Remingtons top the list just because everyone makes parts to improve them. Plan on buying a trigger for sure. If strapped for cash The Remington long range is a sleeper that usually can be made to shoot very well with a little tinkering.
I have been looking at remington 700 long range in 7mm mag and the 5r with threaded barrel in 300 wm

This post and this post have pretty extensive documentation on a 180 ELDM and 175 ELDX. 26", 1:8, X-Caliber Savage Prefit, H1000, Fed215M, 66-67 gr H1000. The ELDM runs about a grain lower than the X. I'm running about 0.02" off the lands, but my throat is pretty short at only 0.06" over SAAMI 3.29" COAL. Use at your own risk of course.
Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.