New to long range hunting

MarioT

Well i'm actually new to hunting altogether to tell the truth, I havnt gotten my license yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I havnt had the time this season to do it, we were busy moving and so on.

Right now I have a Stevens 200, 30-06. I'm sure that some of you or all of you have seen my posts. I want to know what the range is on this weapon, if anyone knows.

Well I also want to know, how exactly do you "long range hunt"? How do you measure the distance, how high or low you have to aim the weapon and so on. I'm sure its like sniping, well basically it is, since you use a scope and look through it and so on. I know somewhat about sniping, but then again, I dont know anything at all.

So what I'm asking is, can the experienced long range hunters run me through it, if you wouldnt mind?

Thanks to everyone that contributes,
Mario

well the range of you're rifle depends on its accuracy and the bullets you're using. Do you reload or are you factory. If you want to shoot long range an rangefinder is a necessity. I have a lieca 1200 and love it. I havent dealt with the swarovoski but I like my lieca. Dont bother with bushnell because in my opinion they are junk. So you're guns limiting range depends on the rifles accuracy, you're optics, you're shooting abilities, you're bullet, and the conditions you're shooting in. [ QUOTE ]
how exactly do you "long range hunt"?

[/ QUOTE ] You set up and shoots something. Long range is different to everyone. 300 is long for some while others are taking that out at over 1kyrds.

Thanks for the reply. Well I use factory load as of now. I dont think I will be getting into reloading/handloading any time soon. As of now I use Winchester Super-X Power Point and Pointed Soft Point, in 150gr, 165gr and 180gr, for 30-06. The area that I will be hunting in you really cannot get "long range" shots, but there might be that occasion that your target will be a good distance away.

Also, what is MOA and stuff like that?

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Mario

well, we could go on and on answering a lot of questions about LRH, but there is already a ton of info on this site.

use the search button on the top of the page, and type in things like MOA, barrels, and whatever else you are curious about, and it will probably be in the archives.

there is a TON of info on this page, start reading about it and you will learn more then someone answering a couple questions. I know this because it's what I did, you start reading and you learn what a 210SMK (210 gr sierra match king)is, and moa(minute of angle),and everything else you ever wanted to know.

welcome to the site, hope you have fun.

buy some of those 180gr bullets for your '06, and head out and start shooting some rocks a long way away, and see how much your bullets drop, and you'll start to understand what long range is for you. 500yds, 800yds, etc doesn't sound very far when everone is talking about 1000yd + shots until you go and start shooting stuff at 500yds.

so have fun, keep reading on this site, you will learn all you need to know, and then some, just be careful it's expensive to read this site!
take care.

good deal, not trying to be rude, but there is a lot of info, and I learned a lot just using the search button.

have fun

Spades,
I would suggest two of the most important things you will need to find have nothing to do with gungear. First try to locate someone who has the same interest in LR shooting. You need a partner to really enjoy this stuff. The best way to shoot long is to have a spotter and to take turns spotting and shooting. The spotter uses a spotting scope and calls wind, elevation and hits, his job is to get the shooter onto the aiming point. The shooter is therefore free to concentrate on his marksmanship. Second, you will need a safe spot to shoot. Ranges are great but so are big fields with hills or washouts for stopping bullets. Problem is finding a safe place, make sure you get permission. If and when you find a good spot you will need good targets, lots of info here on making target frames and targets. Determine what your practice distances should be, work your way in 100 yard increments to whereever you and your rifle can maintain lethal accuracy. You need to shoot a lot to get confidence with your equipment and build up the knowledge required to work with wind.

Also suggest you accept that notekeeping and math, working with numbers, is going to become important in your shooting. We need to know as closely as possible where each bullet will fly. Don't rely on memory, write it down.

The suggestion to read the archives here is a good one. Also read some of the marksmanship info on Snipershide. Forget about what the gearheads are saying, read about how to handle a rifle, trigger control, follow-through, breathing, natural point of aim, environmental factors that effect the flight of your bullet, data keeping, shooting dialogue, operating the turrets and reticle of your scope - stuff like that.

Going to take some time, read a bunch and then ask questions, most of your questions have been asked and are available here or at snipershide. There is also one more long range hunting site that has good people on it, that would be worth finding and learning from.

Good luck, if you have a question the guys here will help but there is already so much info on this site, just for the finding.

Thanks a lot for the help Ian. Also i'm sorry guys that I post stuff before looking... for now on i'll look around first.

Thanks again to everyone,

Mario

In one way, long range hunting is much like ultra short range hunting (archery). You need to be an animal phsycologist. Timing your actions is critical. Knowing when an animal is going to step forward, turn left, or just run like hell is very important.

The only way you learn this is from spending time in the woods with animals.

Roger that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I cant really long range hunt in my forests here, but like I said, there might be that occassion.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.