New to long range and big game hunting

So, I think I'm caught up reading...the total story seems to be you want a long range hunting rifle.....Maybe bear or elk on the menu

well, do you reload? That is step #1.

step #2 imo is do you have a nice reticle scope or exposed turret scope.....typically the is gonna be at least $600 and most here would laugh at $500. I can't tell you well what to get as I have a $200 Bushnell Nitro, $400 Vortex Viper and a $1100 Burris XTR II. I like them all about equal, but the Burris is a much better setup.

step #3 to me would be a new rifle, unless you have none. Winchester M70 (very smooth), Savage 110, Tikka T3, maybe the Bergara, definitely the Christianson Arms are good rifles. I chose the Winchester 70 for my last two rifles because good triggers are available, good trigger tuning can be done and it is a nice CRF action.
For caliber, I'm going 300 Sherman, but for a new reloader or factory ammo, I like 6.5 Creed, 270 Win, 280 AI, 7-08, 7 Rem mag, 308, and maybe 300 WM/WSM(these kick a lot). 35 rounds of 300 WSM in a 14lb rig with a brake still makes me tired. 6.5 Creed or 280 AI would be much better.

Welcome from NC! What you have will work along with a lot of other calibers. But it's always fun to add another rifle. I'd take a hard look at Winchester 70's. Currently have three that shoot great. One is a 300 wsm which isn't a bad choice for what you are after either. My other 70's are 243 and 270 win. I've taken a lot of bigger animals up to moose with the .270 win. As already mentioned for elk get in all the points you can and get in great shape! Buy the rifle and caliber that makes you happy 🤩 and practice .

What is your 308 ? How accurate is it ? What scope is on it ?

A 308 will kill anything on your list with correct ammo.

If you plan to hunt Elk, start buying points now (if state has them). You can buy points in WY w/o getting a license.

If you like your 308 and can shoot it well, you are fine. Spend your money on ammo and (if necessary) upgraded optics. (NOT some giant variable)

Hire a proven outfitter. He will get you close enough to an ELk to kill it with your 308.
I have two 308s one is a ruger American go wild with leupold vx 3i HD i shoot 165 hornady sst and the other is a savage model 11 police with a riton x1 on it and shoot nosler 165 ballistic tips or federal 168 smk both shoot under moa at 100 yards with no work done to either rifle

At his age, that's gonna be a long time from now. He will have already shot the barrels out if he bought now with that intention.

I think the Howa line is worth mentioning here, too. Some fine rifles with good barrels on them. Smooth actions to boot.
I looked at one of the howa 1500 with hs stock on it and liked the it but I dont know much about them and there made in japan

So, I think I'm caught up reading...the total story seems to be you want a long range hunting rifle.....Maybe bear or elk on the menu

well, do you reload? That is step #1.

step #2 imo is do you have a nice reticle scope or exposed turret scope.....typically the is gonna be at least $600 and most here would laugh at $500. I can't tell you well what to get as I have a $200 Bushnell Nitro, $400 Vortex Viper and a $1100 Burris XTR II. I like them all about equal, but the Burris is a much better setup.

step #3 to me would be a new rifle, unless you have none. Winchester M70 (very smooth), Savage 110, Tikka T3, maybe the Bergara, definitely the Christianson Arms are good rifles. I chose the Winchester 70 for my last two rifles because good triggers are available, good trigger tuning can be done and it is a nice CRF action.
For caliber, I'm going 300 Sherman, but for a new reloader or factory ammo, I like 6.5 Creed, 270 Win, 280 AI, 7-08, 7 Rem mag, 308, and maybe 300 WM/WSM(these kick a lot). 35 rounds of 300 WSM in a 14lb rig with a brake still makes me tired. 6.5 Creed or 280 AI would be much better.
I appreciate your comment.and to kind of answer your points.i do not hand load as of right now but I am planning to buy everything I need before to long after buying a new rig.i hunt deer mostly but I have some places were I can bear hunt this coming season and I am hoping to go elk hunting with in year or two.ive only got two rifles right now and both are 308 I'm wanting to add a new caliber and rifle or 2 to my safe.i really like the looks of a 280 ai but not alot of factory ammo to start off with maybe down the road I'll buy one.im leaning towards either 300 win mag or 7mm mag with threaded barrel my 3rd would be 270 wsm or either of the above two in wsm.and your right good optics is key also

I have not, but there are mixed reviews on them. You may or may not get a shooter. You have a MUCH better chance with a 5R model if your going to go with a Remington.
Okay that's what I thought.i really like the remington 700 5r with the threaded barrel in 300 win mag they look pretty good and I've heard alot of good thangs on line about them my other would be savage long range hunter in 7mm mag or 300 win mag

Welcome
Hello all I'm a new comer to this sight and I want to say thanks for having me.i have been a hunter since I was able to get up in a stand or walk around with my dad.i started out hunting with a 20 ga that I harvested my first white tail with and then to a 30-30 then a 270 win and now a 308 win I mostly hunt white tail but I am wanting to start hinting black bear and hopefully get to go elk hunting with in couple years and I'm wanting to get alittle bigger caliber or just something different in a new rifle that will be used for mostly white tail and then the other 2 game above if I'm able what would yall recommend and what kind of rifle I have looked at a 6.5 but cant really seem to jump on the band wagon right now I've really been eye balling the 270 wsm and 280 ai or 7mm mag but I've not shot any of those yet so I dont know how I would like them
Welcome your 308 will work just fine for anything in North America! I can't wait to try a couple of the WSM I have a 300 wsm and love it. I've got 280AI and 7mag, I'd personally choose the 7mag over the 280 but they are very close to one another. One thing I did when I started hunting out west was go in all the local gun shops and see what ammunition is on the shelf, the calibers and bullet weights are there for good reason! I know almost every shop I went in had 270,308,30-06, 7remmag, 300wm and 338wm. Now I'm a staunch hand loader (I've got handloads for 2 rifles that haven't arrived yet 270&7wsm) but you just never know when you may need to run to town to save a hunt!

Rem
There you go, it looks like you are set. It is a huge plus to have a mentor like @Rick Richard. Take advantage of it, "IF" you can. Long-range hunting/shooting does not happen overnight. Take your time and enjoy the learning process.

BTW, a belated welcome to LRH and enjoy it.

ADDED:

@Rick Richard, sorry, I should have said if it's OK with you. 😇

Ed
[/QUO
I'm looking at couple tika rifles but I'm not sure what model I like the best.also as far as mossberg goes I've never shot one or anything aren't they between a savage and a Remington.also Ive looked at the 300 win mag but I'm not sure how recoil would be I want a rifle my dad or brother can use as well if need be
Dont be afraid to ask the smiths on here what they can build for you within your budget! Then you will have a rifle that you dreamed of. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.