New to Group, got a .308 question

Good point, I rarely will have more than a 250-300yd shot. Thanks
If you're not shooting far, then throw the BC out the window, it won't come into play. I have a 16" suppressed 308 that I use quite a bit for hunting. I started out with the 178's and 180's. I slowly started dropping weight to pick up velocity until I got down to the 150's. Maybe it's just my observations, but the 150's out of my 308 do a better job than the 180's did.

My go to load is 150 Nosler Accubond over Varget. I've probably killed 30 deer with this load. I can't say the BC's great and there are definitely better bullets for when I need to stretch its legs, but this gun was purchased for short range work, and for me, the 150's work for their intended purpose.

130 TTSX I run out of a 18" suppressed rig. Around 3085fps, good to 550 yards for hunting and is extremely accurate. AA2460 is easy to find. Load data below and a 5 shot group.

Attachments

• B44FCEB4-EE6D-4774-97FE-D5203E982629.jpeg
    B44FCEB4-EE6D-4774-97FE-D5203E982629.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Hey guys. New member. Been reading post here for a couple years. Finally joined the group. Thanks for the info you provide. Have a reloading question. New to reloading, just a couple years in. My .308 shoots 175 SMK's very well. Never used it for hunting until this year. Having trouble finding a good load with a "hunting bullet". I bought a box of Barnes 175 gr LRX BT because the sectional density and bc are almost identical to the SMK's I'm shooting. No go on a group, about 1.5 moa. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Curious about what you're shooting for a rifle.and…if you've checked the twist and…if you know what it is??? My son just put together a .308 and it's looking like it's a bit persnickety about bullet weight!! Doesn't like the 150s, but "really" likes the 165s. Also what distances you planning to hunt??

May have found my load…180 gr nosler partition, Varget powder! Had a flyer though.
Might want to check the nut behind the trigger on that flier!!! Sometimes that nut needs a little tightening up!! Nice group. What I have found is that "every" rifle is a unique entity within itself!! We've (son and I) got identical rifles, made by the same smith with the same tooling, and what load/bullet combination works in one rifle will blow primers in the other. It's a matter of trial and error until you find what works for you! Good luck with your rifle, looking like you're on your way to getting there

Curious about what you're shooting for a rifle.and…if you've checked the twist and…if you know what it is??? My son just put together a .308 and it's looking like it's a bit persnickety about bullet weight!! Doesn't like the 150s, but "really" likes the 165s. Also what distances you planning to hunt??
See post #7, it's right there!!!

May have found my load…180 gr nosler partition, Varget powder! Had a flyer though.
This looks promising. I would determine what range you expect to be shooting in the hunting situation and extend this out. I have had loads that group well at 100, but seem to open up more than expected when getting to 200yds and further. A 1" group at 100, in theory is about a 2" group at 200, etc. In my experience this doesn't always hold true. Stretch it out a bit an see what happens. If your hunting situation will put you in shorter ranges, you may be good to go as-is.

This looks promising. I would determine what range you expect to be shooting in the hunting situation and extend this out. I have had loads that group well at 100, but seem to open up more than expected when getting to 200yds and further. A 1" group at 100, in theory is about a 2" group at 200, etc. In my experience this doesn't always hold true. Stretch it out a bit an see what happens. If your hunting situation will put you in shorter ranges, you may be good to go as-is.
Sorry, the AD/HD kicked in and I missed the last sentence.

Hey guys. New member. Been reading post here for a couple years. Finally joined the group. Thanks for the info you provide. Have a reloading question. New to reloading, just a couple years in. My .308 shoots 175 SMK's very well. Never used it for hunting until this year. Having trouble finding a good load with a "hunting bullet". I bought a box of Barnes 175 gr LRX BT because the sectional density and bc are almost identical to the SMK's I'm shooting. No go on a group, about 1.5 moa. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Stick with your SMKs....they kill just fine!

I've had very good luck with 165TTSX, also with Berger 168 Classic Hunter, which is a hybrid and shaped similar to the SMK.
1:10 26" Shilen

This is HOW you join this forum correctly! You watch, you read, read some more, follow along. lurk, then you join, start posting & asking questions. This guy get's it...WELCOME.

I to, learned LR with the 308, 175SMK and mastered it, before moving on to faster, flatter, longer range cartridge/calibers.

REM model 700 SPS 20"barrel, 1/10 twist. 350 is max shooting distance for hunting. Currently shooting 175 gr SMK'S/43.6 gr Varget.

Attachments

• 2780BB72-8D49-4E8B-9CA9-BCAEFC3ADF1D.jpeg
    2780BB72-8D49-4E8B-9CA9-BCAEFC3ADF1D.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 33