New to Group, got a .308 question

I have used the 168gr amax/eldm to hunt deer with for over a decade now. On deer sized game at 308 velocities It works great. I've also never seen a 308 that wouldn't shoot it well with 44gr rl 15. Varget also works around the same charge.

Thanks guys, I had a friend give me 20 nosier BT 180 gr today and I lucked up on the last box of 178 gr ELD-X bullets at a local shop. I will do some testing this weekend. Only powder I have is Varget, so if anyone has a good staring point I'm all ears.

Hey guys. New member. Been reading post here for a couple years. Finally joined the group. Thanks for the info you provide. Have a reloading question. New to reloading, just a couple years in. My .308 shoots 175 SMK's very well. Never used it for hunting until this year. Having trouble finding a good load with a "hunting bullet". I bought a box of Barnes 175 gr LRX BT because the sectional density and bc are almost identical to the SMK's I'm shooting. No go on a group, about 1.5 moa. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
I have a ,308 Win that I shoot 175gr SMK as well, top-end accuracy in the 3/4 to 1/2 moa rifle when I do my part. For a hunting bullet with my load in my rifle, I use the Nosler 165gr Partition it's been a 1 moa load all day long for me, and it fits most of the game I hunt, mostly Deer and so on. Most guys I think would say the Partition are great game bullets but not known for their accuracy, not so in my case... just an FYI Good luck, Cheers

Push the Barnes further in. They like to jump. I haven't found anything I couldn't get Barnes to shoot great in, but it's all about distance from the lands. This is even stated by Barnes themselves.

For hunting ammo I don't chase the lands, I load to shoot directly from the magbox or magazine. As for mono bullets or bonded bullets like AccuBonds I start with a perfectly clean bore, free of ALL copper fouling. You won't need to chase the lands with the Ballistic Tips, Partitions, or standard AccuBonds. When I was stationed in Georgia most of the shots for hunting were fairly close. What's your distance parameters for hunting?

I shot the hog in the profile picture with 175 smk in 308.
found the bullet under the skin on the back of the neck. Hit him between the eyes and had good penetration.

I put together a 308 last year and found best groups with 130 grain Barnes ttsx. I haven't shot super far kills with it energy would start to die off faster then the heavier side but still nice for moderate ranges and some distance. I killed two buck with it last year one in Wyoming and one in pa. Pa buck was 10 yards Wyoming buck was roughly 200 killed both with no problem and left good holes under the hide showed good signs of energy on impact at 200 yards with trauma around hole.