.308 Win Load Question

rangerman

I'm running a little short on my go-to powder for my normal loads for my 308 Win using the 168 grain amax (42 gr. of RE-15) and was wanting to try another powder. I have plenty of IMR 4831 on hand. The Nosler reloading manual gives load data for the 150/155 grain bullet ( 48 gr. - 52 gr. of IMR 4831) and for the 180 grain bullet (46 gr. - 50 gr. of IMR 4831) but none using this powder for the 168 gr. bullet. My question is could I not start between these two loads ( 47 gr. - 51 gr. of IMR 4831) and as long as I started my load development at or near 47 gr. be perfectly fine since the 168 bullet falls right in the middle of the load data for the 155 gr. and 180 gr. bullet?? I'm not terribly concerned about accuracy so long as it will shoot around 1 moa as I will only be using this for whitetail deer at ranges under 150 yards. I am an experienced re-loader but have never made a practice of working up a load recipe that my reloading manual didn't call for.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I like to have specifics from the bullet and/or powder mfg.

If not, then Quickload data is a good source.

Otherwise, extrapolating as you've done should suffice.

I would start at 46 or 47 grains based on the info you provided.

Stay safe/conservative as you approach/exceed the max load for the heavier bullet.

-- richard

4831 is not or never will be a powder for the 308 in my book.its just too slow of burning powder.it's a better powder for 30/06 and larger cases.

IMR 4831 seems a bit to the slow side for 308 IMHO. Performance, read velocity, will likely not be great, Not to say that it won't work, but 4350 or even better 4320 would be better choices. I have seen a few guys running R-17 with the 150+ weight bullets which would likely be a good choice from the R series of powders. In any case start low and work up as usual. YMMV

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like I could try a lot of different powder that would be a better choice than the IMR 4831. I used this powder for my Rem 7 Mag and have plenty of it on hand now that I have sold that particular gun. I have a Sendero 300 RUM with custom barrel that I use for long range hunting and plan to use the 308 Win. only in the woods and in my tree stand where 100 to 150 yards would be a long shot. I realize it may not be the best powder but if it shoots around 1 moa it should be fine. I was just hestitant about trying something that wasn't called for in the reloading manual. When I can find it I will stock back up with the RE - 15 as it shoots the 168 amaxs between 1/2moa and 3/4 moa. Any other advice anyone could offer??

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like I could try a lot of different powder that would be a better choice than the IMR 4831. I used this powder for my Rem 7 Mag and have plenty of it on hand now that I have sold that particular gun. I have a Sendero 300 RUM with custom barrel that I use for long range hunting and plan to use the 308 Win. only in the woods and in my tree stand where 100 to 150 yards would be a long shot. I realize it may not be the best powder but if it shoots around 1 moa it should be fine. I was just hestitant about trying something that wasn't called for in the reloading manual. When I can find it I will stock back up with the RE - 15 as it shoots the 168 amaxs between 1/2moa and 3/4 moa. Any other advice anyone could offer??
Well as the others have said a middle speed powder will give you better performance in your 308. However, I 4831 is listed in the hodgdon #26 data book with 150, 165, and 180 grain bullets.

The 165 with I 4831 starts at 45 and tops at 47 with a top speed of 2329 fps.. Just about a 30-30 or 300 savage ballistically. It would work to 200 yards if the accuracy was there. I'm sure that 47 is their top because of case capacity, since it is 38,400 cup in the test rifle(the 308 can go to 52,000 cup).

In a huntig rifle 308 win Rl - 17 shows outstanding groups, 2742 fps, 210M, and a 180gr Speer
spbt bullet.
For long range matches 175gr SMK, Varget, 210M, win brass or BHM, gave 2655fps and a one hole group in both hunting rifle and match rifle..

308 win Rl - 17 shows outstanding groups, 2742 fps, 210M, and a 180gr Speer spbt bullet.
That's a pretty fast movin' bullet from a .308 Win. case. 'Specially when 190's shot out at max safe peak pressure from a 26 inch barrel left at 2550 fps. And 7.62 NATO match ammo's 172 and 168 grain bullets left at about 2600 fps from 22 inch barrels.

Bethca that load's peak pressure's way on the far side of too much for safety.

Found that the load to be safe. Please look at Alliant web site the load is below their posted load.
Snipershide has a great of information with the 208 gr Amax being loaded with RL-17 past several months. Or maybe just Google the load in a 200 gr bullet load.
As with anything work up your loads and watch for pressure signs....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.