New to forum and need help........257 Weatherby

bdchorn

Just wanted to say hello. I've reloaded for 15 years but know just the basics as I found a load for my Browning .270 that has never failed me. I recently picked up a .257 Weatherby and was hopong someone might point me in the right direction as a starting point for a new load. This will primarily be a whitetail gun with shots out to 500 yards. Based on ballistics charts I've seen from Weatherby, I'm leaning toward a 110 gr. accubond bullet, but am open to anything at this point. I have IMR 4350 powder on hand, but can use anything. Suggestions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Check out reloaders nest.....you can pick the powder the bullet...and get loads others have used might see something you like!

And just stick around someone here is shooting one! welcome aboard!

4350 is probably gonna be a bit to fast for this case and that weight bullet. I was just on the phone with a buddy that has one when I read this so I asked his favorite load , he said that VV-165 gives him the best accuracy and speed with R-22 a close second. He is shooting the 110 accubond over 75grs of VV-165 and getting 3400+fps out of a 28" barrel (Shilen I think) with good accuracy. He has a tight chamber with no freebore so I'd start at 68-70grs and work up.
He said that 4831 was a good powder also and to start at 65grs with the 110 bullet

How old is it and where was it made? Can make a difference if the twist rate is too slow. My new MK V Ultralight likes 117gr Sierra GameKings with 72grs of R-25 going @ 3400fps or the same bullet with 73 grs of H1000 going 3300fps. This is with a 1:10 twist. Had an old German made with a 1:12 twist which would not stabilize any bullet over 100grs.

Thanks for the input guys. Gives me a good place to start which is exactly what I needed. It's one year old and not German. I actually don't know the twist, but will find out. Thanks

How far off the lands have you guys found works best? I'm working with my 257 Wby and find I'm getting 2 real tight groups about 1 inch from each other and can't figure out what the problem is. In a 5 shot group, 3 went into 0.254" and the other 2 into 0.17". This seems to be common across just about any load I use. Just so you know, bedding, mounts, scope and barrel float have already been checked.

You did not specify if this is a custom or factory rifle. I use the 115 grain BT w/H-1000, Wthrby brass, 215GM primers, 3.305 to 3.330 OAL pending which .257Wthrby I shoot. My Japan manufactured is a 24" barrel and my newer is the 26" Lightweight USA. The Japan rifle is actually alot faster but can shoot 2 more grains of powder. Both will shoot 3 shot 1/2" at 200yrds w/ the first 2 on top of the other the 3rd at 10:00...strange for both to shoot the same grouping.

Sorry Kevin, it is partial custom. It has a Mark V action, Broughton 26" barrel, Accumark stock and Nikon Monarch 5.5-15 scope. Sounds like you're pretty far off the lands. One thing I've noticed is that this cartridge seems to not like to be close. I still haven't found the sweet spot, but it sure is frustrating.

Yes frustration is a part of owning a Weatherby..at first but once you find the sweet spot..niiice.
I look to shoot a given bullet at a given velocity using a chrono and look for minimal spread/deviation. From there I mess w/OAL moving .025, then in .005, three shot groups only (both my rifles have buggy whip barrels). As you can see from my previous post I'm not far off from factory over length, yes very from the lands as w/ the factory freebore the bullets would never touch them. So that said I didn't buy to shoot at a medium speed. Fast as SAFELY possible w/the best accuracy. Most guys local to me shoot the H-1000 powder w/ the 115's. I have not tried the 110 accubonds, the 115's have always done the job, if they are close shot them in the ribs. I hunt with a guy that just can't believe the way these .257's smack and "blood coming from every orfice". It will come in for you I'm sure. The one thing about the factories (barrels) though is that they shot better after 200 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.