257 weatherby help

jones

hey guys, i have a 257 weatherby in a remington 700 action that i just got back from the gunsmith. the barrel is a broughton 26" barrel. My scope finally came in and so i went to the range today to put break in the barrel and to sight the scope in. i had 3 factory weathery rounds and they chambered and shot fine. but when i went to my handloads the bolt would go all the way forward but i wasnt able to close it.

the brass was from my vanguard before i sold it and had the gunsmith build my new rifle. i am using froster seater and sizer dies set up per their directions.

does it seem like i dont have the dies set up right? im kinda at a lost as to why my handloads wouldnt chamber. is there something that i can change so i can still use the brass or am i going to have to buy new brass? If yall can help me out i would really appreciate it. thanks for your time.

It sounds like you might have a match chamber, which means a chamber cut to minimum dimensions. The cure for that is usually buying new brass, in fact I would recommend that anytime you have a new barrel chambered. Innovative Technologies makes a die for belted magnums that re-sizes the brass immediately above the belt. I suspect that would work too.The web site is: Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment . I suspect that will solve the problem also. Take your choice, but I would still recommend new brass. Good luck.

Ok thanks for ur help. that makes sense I didn't think about that when I did the loads. Me in my dad both have a 7 mag, his is a remington action n mine is a weatherby action. I forgot which way it is but either I can't chamber his rounds n he can chamber mine or he can't chamber mine in I can chamber his. Guess every chamber is diff.

Got another ? for ya, which brass would u recommend. Wetherby, norma or nosler?
Again thanks for help

Norma makes Weatherby, so whichever you can get the cheapest. I'm not familiar with Nosler's brass but I have heard conflicting reports about it.

Ask your smith how he reamed your chamber. Most factory brass is short as much as .005.You probably just are not getting shoulder bumped back enough. I had to turn my forester die about 1/4 past touch to get the shoulder back .002. I dont like caming my press like that so I just touched my shell holder to my vertical belt sander, they also make shell holders with varing thickness for this sold in a set of 5. you want all same make of brass and track times sized, if your brass is not shot out it should be fine, I prefer the norma brass / weatherby

Last edited:
i played with my sizer die today. i turned it down a little bit then resized the brass and then tired to load it, till i was able to chamber it. i think that might have been the problem, that i didnt have it down far enough.

should i go ahead and resize the rest of my brass this way, or should i do like MT4XFore said and just buy new brass? what is the advantage of using new brass when you get a new rifle?

if you can size them now so that they chamber ok, then go ahead and do that. But like 6x6 said, you should keep track of # of times reloaded. It's always good to start with new brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.