New to 6.5 Creedmoor loading

Kmccord

I just purchased my first Short action bolt rifle, I have a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. All of my reloading has been with 28 Nosler and 7 Rem Mag, so I am behind on what powders are best for the 6.5 Creed. I did check my powder stock and see I have some IMR 4350 and H4831 some I must have purchased years ago, but that is all when it comes to faster burning powder. I have read that H4350 seems to be everyone go to powder for this cartridge, but wanted to see if another powder, something that is always readily available, that works great for this cartridge? I was looking to reload using 135gr Berger Classic and go up to 147gr as the largest size. I would appreciate if anyone could provide there loads that work great in this cartridge. I wish Berger and Hornady would do what Nosler and Hodgdon does and post reloading data on the different bullets they have.

I noticed on the Hodgdon load data using Superformance in nearly all of the bullet weights I have listed, anyone have experience with this powder, not sure how temp stable this powder is though.

It's about the easiest reloading you can do. If you want to start at about 40 grains of h4350 and work up by .3 and use about any 140 gr bullet you should find something there. Should max out at about 42-43 grains of powder. IMR 4350 is about the same starting load as h4350.
I hear the 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty easy to get a load setup, I know the 28 Nosler can be tough at times. It would be nice to have one setup and start ringing steel out to 600 yds and not worry with burning the barrel out while working on a load..

I noticed on the Hodgdon load data using Superformance in nearly all of the bullet weights I have listed, anyone have experience with this powder, not sure how temp stable this powder is though.
Superformance is good stuff in the 6.5 Creed but it's not nearly as temp stable as the 2 main staples (RL16 and H4350). You will get as good or better speeds with RL16 vs Superformance as well. Staball 6.5 may be a better alternative to Superformance if you wanted to go with a ball powder that was more temp stable.

H4350 42.2gr

Accuracy node seems to be in the 2700 to 2800 fps range depending on barrel length

As someone said start at 40gr and work up following proper assessment of pressure

You will read many threads showing charges up to 47gr and even 49gr

Proceed with your own appropriate caution but I would ignore those threads. Personal opinion

I have run the superperformance and have good results. I cannot comment on its temp stability though. However there is another that has become very popular which is Hodgdon Staball. I have had groups shrink with this powder and I am impressed with it in my rifle. Hodgdon claims it is temp stable and has the copper fouling reducer as well, It too is a ball powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.