6.5 Creedmoor loads

stephenr6565

I bought my wife a 6.5 Creedmoor for Xmas it shoots the factory Hornady ammo pretty good but I wanna see what it will do with hand loads with 140 grn bullets like 140 berger, 140 eld-m and 143 eld-x what powders tend to get best velocity and accuracy for the 6.5 Creedmoor I may also try some bullets in 120-130 grn range aswell

R17 in my Browning X Bolt, 123 gr. Hornady SST bullet, Hornady case and CCI 200 LR primer gives me 1/4 inch groups.

I'm trying to find a load that my Howa Alpine likes.
So far most loads tried have been nowhere near the inch, more like 1.25" to 1.50.
It does not like the suggested powders H4359 or RL17.
However, it only has a 20" barrel so maybe I cannot expect better.

I load for my brothers creedmoor and it is extremely accurate with the 140 SSTs and the 140 bergers. That load is 41.5 grains of RL 17, CCI BR2 primer and hornady brass. I am very impressed with RL17 and it seems to handle temperatures fine.

Randy

I'm trying to find a load that my Howa Alpine likes.
So far most loads tried have been nowhere near the inch, more like 1.25" to 1.50.
It does not like the suggested powders H4359 or RL17.
However, it only has a 20" barrel so maybe I cannot expect better.

What Bullet, primer, and brass are you using? I don't think the 20" barrel will negate accuracy. Shorter barrels are stiffer and can even be more accurate. Will affect velocity though.

I'm using Fed 210 M primers, Hornady brass, 120 & 125 Nosler, 129 Hornady 160 Hornady and 140 Sierra bullets to start.
As for powders I have an almost limitless assortment

Maybe try some target grade bullets to see if it gets under 1".

The 140 Berger VLD is very popular. I have great results with it and H4350 and Fed210M. Also had good results with 142 Sierra Match Kings. The Berger 130 VLD might be a good option with the shorter barrel. RL17 is a good fast powder for the Creed. It should keep the speed up in a shorter barrel.

Thanks, I will try those if I can find some.
On this side of the Fence ( Canada ) it can be difficult if not impossible to find components sometimes.
When I was going through my .264 bullet stash I found some Hornady 160 gr. RN so just for fun I made up a load and strangely enough that load is one of the tightest grouping.
That would make it ok for Moose.... LOL..

I took it out again today and the results were no different.
140 gr. loads using H4350 went from a worst of 2.230 " to 1.54 ".
Two loads consisting of the 160 gr. Sierra over IMR 4350 and Win 760 both grouped exactly
1.30 ".
Does that mean that this little guy prefers a heavier bullet?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.