New Tikka T3 SL (super light)

andrew r

Apparently Sportsman's Warehouse
have the new Tikka T3 SL in stock and their supposed 5.8 LB weight has caught my eye.

Has anyone seen one or used one yet? Are there any pictures around?

Factory barrel fluting is fantastic when done properly and I am interested if Tikka have improved an already great product for New Zealand conditions.

A Sako looking for New Zealand Sika deer
DSCF2235.jpg

Last edited:
andrew,

I just bought one last night from Cabela's after crawling all over the web trying to get info with little success. I had to drive 2 hours to buy it, which was no problem, but wanted some more info on weight before I made the trip. I can tell you that the 5.8 lb weight claim comes from a factory sticker on the stock. I had read about the 5.8 lbs but could never figure out where this number came from. I still need to see if the rifle meets the claim. They also claim 3-shot 1MOA like the other T3 rifles. I fully expect every Tikka to shoot that well or better, but I believe a hammer forged barrel needs to be fluted after the rifling process so there might be a chance for the accuracy to be affected but I'm no rifle designer/engineer.

This version has a camo stock. Haven't shot it yet, but I'll try to get some pics. I'll probably update the thread in the Backpack forum since it seems like it'll be easier to find over there. I don't think there's too much interest in mountain rifles in the main rifle forum, but I could be wrong.

Jason

Thanks Jason,
Much appreciated.

I hope your new rifle adds to the success of all your upcoming hunts.

Andrew R
New Zealand.

I cant seem to find the Tikka T3 Lite SL in the Cabelas inventory on line.....how did you get this figured out and what Cabelas did you find it at....is it available in short mag calibers also?

I looked at them at our local sporting goods, saw a 300 wsm and a 300 win. I think. looked nice, seems like they where $1600 +.

Thanks for that info sp6x6,

That seems a fair price, has your local sporting goods store got a web page?

Andrew R
New Zealand

Andrew, I am a Kiwi hunter resident in the US for the past 20 years and the Tikka T3 Superlite caught my attention. By all accounts the Superlite with SS fluted barrel was a special deal with a chain called the Sportsman's Wharehouse.

New Firearms For 2011 | Sportsmans News

My local store has two in stock in .308 WIN and I am going to buy one this week.

The price is USD $680 plus 10% sales tax.

I will bring it to NZ in December 2012 - in about 10 months - to go hunting in Southland and Fiordland.

Send me an email if you want more info.
Nick

I have recently purchased a Tikka t3 superlight in 7mm mag. I have not shot it yet, but plan to soon. It comes with rings and with the rings the gun is exactly 6.0 pounds on my fishing scale. The gun comes with a guarantee to shoot 1.0 inch 3 shot groups out of the box. I hope to shoot is soon and hope to post the results at that time

I have 2 of the Tika T3's that I hunt with. My biggest criticism is that the detachable magazine is too short to allow you to seat the bullets out as far as some like. My .300WSM shoots great. My .270WSM is decent. I think that it might do better with less bullet jump. By any chance have they addressed this in the new T3 lite? What calibers are available? Thanks Bruce

Gillette Hunter,

I reload my bullets and seat them as long as recommended in the Lee reloading manual. For the 7mm Remington magnum this is 3.29 inches. I have no problem loading and cycling them thought the action of my T3 Superlite. Looking at the bullets sitting in the box magazine, it looks as though there is a little room left to seat them a little longer if one would like. I don't know if there is a difference in the length of the magazines between the T3 lite and the superlite. I hope this is helpful. Good hunting!

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.