New StaBALL

ARlife4me

Whether it's HD or Match who has used any and in what cartridges? I've been thinking about buying 1 or both, but site data has me on edge. Kind of like people saying they use the 6.5 version for fertilizer. I do have some of UT also, but haven't used any yet. Does anyone know if either is close to (examples) retumbo, h1000, h4350 or ? as a replacement/substitute? QL doesn't have these yet. Volume and burn rate of what it's substituted/replaced for if you know?

I just started using Staball match in 223 rem with Hornady 75g bthp. I think I've loaded and shot only about 300 rounds so far in testing. I have been impressed with its consistency of powder charges loading on a progressive press and it's extremely low SD. Velocity is pretty much average. Accuracy is averaging right at one MOA

6.5 version for fertilizer? I'll take it if you're gonna throw it out! It shoots amazing in my 300 wsm. I have some hd and actually get better velocity with 6.5 out of my prc
The fertilizer part was from others saying that's what they use it for. I have 3 #s I haven't used yet. Not sure which cartridges I bought it for?

Whether it's HD or Match who has used any and in what cartridges? I've been thinking about buying 1 or both, but site data has me on edge. Kind of like people saying they use the 6.5 version for fertilizer. I do have some of UT also, but haven't used any yet. Does anyone know if either is close to (examples) retumbo, h1000, h4350 or ? as a replacement/substitute? QL doesn't have these yet. Volume and burn rate of what it's substituted/replaced for if you know?
I bought some of both, I plan on trying them in 300 win mag for the HD and 35 whelen, a wildcat 7mm wssm for the match.

7mm prc, 22" barrel, sierra 175 gameking, .023 off the lands, using Winchester stabal hd I started at 69.4 grains working up to 71 grains in .2 grain increments, velocity started at 2848 fps ended at 2852 fps, only 1 shot went up to 2880 fps. This was the flattest node I've ever seen

Gonna say too -- what site is saying its fertilizer? No two guns shoot the same. I am just gearing up to test on a 270 and 6.5 CM. Sweet spot for the 6.5 Staball supposedly. We shall see. But regardless, its always trial and error.

One comment notes a broad node. Music to my ears. We shall see,,,,,,,,

I've only been able to use the 6.5 so far because that's the only one I've been able to find. My 7mm-08 loves it.
FB_IMG_1677643812870.jpg

I just got the 2023 Hodgdon yearly load manual and to my surprise Staball HD is listed as one step slower than Retumbo on the burn rate chart. I purchased two pounds and have not had a chance to load it. This manual also has an article on loads with this powder. 25-06, 270 WSM, 6.8 Western and one other caliber are loaded with Staball HD. And article using Staball match is also in this same manual. I have used Staball 6.5 in my 6.5 Creed with very good results. I have checked the Hodgdon web site and data is given for selected calibers using Staball HD and Staball 6.5

A month ago we did some load work on a service rifle, using Staball Match. Started the ladder at 23.0 and 0.5 increment up to 25.5 pushing the 80.5 Bergers. Powder ignited by CCI41s.

Loading was all done inside the temperature controlled stat house.

The rifle has zeroes already using N140 with the projectiles, 0.010 jump. So, we just copied the CBTO.

It was high 80s, low 90s at that time, and typical heavy fishtailing wind. The composite group of the charges were inside the X with very little vertical.

Between the POI and velocity starting to flatten, we decided to run with 24.8 and did the sitting depth test. It turned out the powder charge is not bad. The small sample of 3 shot groups; the average of four 3 shot groups is under an inch at 200.

I am happy with that (I was not the one jerking the trigger) considering the work was done with only a 4.5X March service rifle scope.

Pictures, or it did not hapoen, still applies. I handed the targets to my buddy, and we both forgot to take the pictures. He took the targets with him

The rifle shot great. Full disclosure, I didn't have anything to do with the upper, the rifle was built by Whiteoak Precision, (WOP) the other business at WOA

The StaBall6.5 worked fine in the 2 rifles that I have tried it in. A Sako 30-06 and a Tikka 22-250.
In the 30-06, it pushed 150 grain Sierras about 3030 fps with good accuracy and 65 grain Sierras in the Teeker.

The StaBall6.5 worked fine in the 2 rifles that I have tried it in. A Sako 30-06 and a Tikka 22-250.
In the 30-06, it pushed 150 grain Sierras about 3030 fps with good accuracy and 65 grain Sierras in the Teeker.
bertzs did a thread using 6.5 Staball in his 30-06 loading a 212 ELDX. Very well written and impressive results. All from a 22" Winchester.