New rifle time again but something a little different

Dave King

It's a disease, I have it and willingly admit I have no desire to be cured!!

This last weekend I came across a Rem 40x Rangemaster single shot (wood stock) in very good shape for $500.00. It was chambered in 7mm Rem Mag and had a Sinclair Bolt stop added to facilitate getting those long rounds out of the rifle. The 40x trigger has also been swapped out for a Shilen.

I was looking for a Rem 700 action for a project rifle for F-Class/TR and maybe F-Class/Open and the 40X looked like a good fit. I'll use the standard wood stock (rebedded of course) and leave the rifle barrels in the bald stainless finish.

I took it to Clay Spencer and chatted for a while. We looked at the 7mm barrel with the borescope (just for grins) to see how much it was worn as so when folks ask for the used barrel I can give them a "well used" answer.

I'm having the Sinclair bolt stop removed and the hole filled, Dumped the Shilen trigger for a Remington 40x or worked standard Remington trigger (2 - 2.5 lbs to match my other rifles). Clean up the bolt face and install a ring to make it .473 again and add a Sako style extractor.

This will be a switch barrel gun (like my other Spencer rifle but I'll get extra barrels straight from the get-go with this one).

We decided another 308 Win would be good (can't ever have too many 308's) with a 10 twist 26" barrel and match chamber. We also decided on a 6mm BR (Remingtom I believe, these are new to me) with a barrel twist good for the 105 and 107 bullets.

What I'm still toying with is what other chamberings to get.

I'd like a few other chamberings and have it all done at once. They must be of the short action length and .473 bolt face, I'm thinking a 338-08 for 300 Sierra Match King, maybe a slow twist 6mm BR for the ~65 grain bullets for varmints and dep. deer, maybe a 22-250/22-243 for the heavy 77-80 Sierra Match King.

I'm open to suggestions, anyone have an idea for something a little different (must be capable of accurate long(er) range use or a neat experiment.

how about a 22 dasher with a 6.5 twist 3 groove pac nor. Shooting richards 100 grain and 107 RBBT at around 3000 fps with a good bc probably .650 and up I'm guessing. Easy on barrels fast accurate and balistics to match or beat most magnums. I have a 22 br 6.5 twist I will be testing as soon as I get some bullets. Or how about 22-243 improved shooting those 107 gr 224 RBBT at around 3100 to 3250 FPS want to talk about performance with a little gun. Just some food for thought. Reed

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I concur Chris...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.