Alberta Bear Hunt deal time again

Dave King

Fella called me and offered to give me a free bear hunt if I could find someone to go at full price along with me. Well, folks that know me, (and the fella that called also knows) I can't do that so it's two (2) half price black bear hunts in northern Alberta.

Hunt cost USD $1,500. Hunter pay their own way to Edmonton and is picked up on Sunday for the trip to camp (near Ft McMurray). Hunt for one (1) week and return to Edmonton on Sunday for the flight back (late Sunday or Monday).

Two (2) bears and I believe a complimentary wolf/coyote tag.

We'll sleep in tents, temps could be near freezing or up in the 60's or both!

We'll have two (2) hunts to choose from, 23 to 30 May or 30 May to 06 June.

The hunt will be over bait in a new remote area, I've been told there'll be plenty of bears and probably some big ones.

Last time I did one of these half price hunts I shot a nice 7ft bear.

ALbertaBear_SMK.jpg

The lucky (I guess he felt lucky) other hunter found the hunt here on this board and got two bears (not giants but he filled both his tags).

I'm not 100% sure I'm going as I have a sniper shoot scheduled for the weekend of 29 and 30 May that I'd need to cancel out on. Just fishing to see if I could find a hunting partner.

I'd probably take a bow along and try for one that way and also carry along a rifle or two or three for those wolves and such.

[ 04-14-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Chris

Better lock-in, I got a lot of folks responding to this post!!!
wink.gif

I just called up there (Alberta) and it's snowing! I just wanted to confirm that the hunt is USD $1500 for EVERYTHING involved in the hunt (Exceptions are airfare to Edmonton and the Edmonton hotel and food costs while waiting pickup and flyout/back (those costs depends on the hunter's flight schedule))

Wolf/coyote and two (2) black bears. The owner/guide is a baker by trade and the food in camp is really great, you WILL NOT lose weight on this hunt.

I've hunted with this fella several times, nice guy and an honest hard working man.

Wow, Dave that was some deal!

If my wife wasn't pregnant and near ready I would have jumped on that!

Good luck to whoever goes.

WaffleMan here with a Fort McMurray bear report just before Chris and I head off this coming Saturday.

I talked with Vern Mochid last Sunday while he was changing out hunters, first set ending and second set arriving. First set of five(5) hunters had 100% success, three (3) archery types and two (2) rifle types. Five (5) bears were killed, one color phase. None of these fellas opted for a second bear (USD $500 additional for the second bear for the non-deal price hunters) One hunter had three (3) misses before he finally connected the last evening. Average size bears but no specific sizes were stated as none were in the 7' range in which I'm interested.

Vern reports the weather has been aittle chilly, snow for the first set of hunters for a while, temps now appear to be in the very low 30's at night and getting to mid 50's during the day.

Bear sign; Vern reports tracks and some glimpses of several bears in the high 6' range but these larger specimines didn't seem to want to come to the first set of hunters, don't know about the second set of hunters yet. I suspect Chris and I will have a change or two at some very nice bears and we each have two (2) bear tags so we can be a little loose on our first bear.

Get packed up Chris, we're getting close.

Next bear report will be an "after action report".

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts