New Rifle Ordered

Jud96

Just ordered my new rifle this afternoon at a local gunshop. I have been wanting to get a Remington Model 700 Long Range and have found a dealer who can get me one and its on order, finally! I him-hawed around on which chambering that I wanted but finally made a decision and I am happy with it. Went with the plain old tried and true .300 WIN. Mag. and am looking forward to it. I already am in the process of building a .308 Norma for long range and this rifle is a classic with fancy wood stock and it is beautiful, but not something I want to pack around or possibly damage on a hunt. These two cartridges are nearly identical but the .300 is more practical with the availability of components and data. This will be the rifle I can do all my big game hunting with and I plan on becoming very confident with it and learn it inside and out!

I have a set of RCBS dies for .300 WIN already and 50 pieces of once fired WCC military casings that were used by the Navy. I also have 1x box of 208 A-MAXs, 1x box of 220 SMKs, and 3.5x boxes of 190 SMKs. To go with a .30cal was just the smart thing to do and having dies and brass already for the .300 WM is just the icing on the cake! Will be using the Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 that I have sitting on the shelf and ordering my rings and base soon. Thinking of getting Vortex Tactical rings and an EGW HD 20 MOA base. Wanted the Precision Matched Rings but being in high school and all, the pockets aren't too deep so to speak haha. Down the road I want to get a Timney trigger for it and will be bedding the recoil lug and 2" of the barrel soon as I pull her outta the box. Really looking forward to this rifle!

Also, I have around 4lbs of 7828ssc and 2lbs of standard 7828. Wanting to see if anyone has any loads using these powders and bullets in the 190-210gr range. I can find this powder around here pretty often and it is much more common than the stand by H1000. Thanks guys! gun)

I have 20 rounds loaded up for ladder testing with 7828 SSC for my new 5R Milspec .300WM. I'm using the Berger 210 VLD's until I can afford 500 of the Berger 215 Hybrids.

I am hoping to go sometime this weekend, maybe tomorrow, so I will keep you updated how my testing goes.

The local range I have to go to is $15 a day, and can get congested, but hopefully since it's deer season, and it's really cold this weekend, it won't be too bad tomorrow or Sunday.

Now, remember, these loads will also be the first ones down it, and my break-in loads, so nobody give me too much grief about the groups. :D

I have 20 rounds loaded up for ladder testing with 7828 SSC for my new 5R Milspec .300WM. I'm using the Berger 210 VLD's until I can afford 500 of the Berger 215 Hybrids.

I am hoping to go sometime this weekend, maybe tomorrow, so I will keep you updated how my testing goes.

The local range I have to go to is $15 a day, and can get congested, but hopefully since it's deer season, and it's really cold this weekend, it won't be too bad tomorrow or Sunday.

Now, remember, these loads will also be the first ones down it, and my break-in loads, so nobody give me too much grief about the groups. :D

Sounds great Mud! I know that 7828 will be accurate, just want to know what kind of velocity it'll make. Look forward to your testing! :D

This will be what I call "initial ladder" loads, because they're seperated by 1 whole grain apart (ex. 68, 69, 70, 71, etc...) to get an idea of where it likes to be, and to find where I get pressure signs at.

My "secondary ladder" is measured out in 1/2 grain incriments once I find a good node between whole grain incriments from my "initial ladder" test. For example, if it shot good at 70 and 71, and started opening up at 72, then, I load 69.5, 70, 71.5, 72.

Then from there, I find the best load and load up a box of 50. Then I do 2x 5-shot strings with the MSv2 attached (because they're established loads, so I don't care how they group with the chrono on), and get my ES and MV. Also I document the weather conditions the day I chrono for the most accurate drop charts.

Then I build my drop charts.

Then I'm pretty much done with the hard stuff, and can go out and enjoy the gun.

This will be what I call "initial ladder" loads, because they're seperated by 1 whole grain apart (ex. 68, 69, 70, 71, etc...) to get an idea of where it likes to be, and to find where I get pressure signs at.

My "secondary ladder" is measured out in 1/2 grain incriments once I find a good node between whole grain incriments from my "initial ladder" test. For example, if it shot good at 70 and 71, and started opening up at 72, then, I load 69.5, 70, 71.5, 72.

Then from there, I find the best load and load up a box of 50. Then I do 2x 5-shot strings with the MSv2 attached (because they're established loads, so I don't care how they group with the chrono on), and get my ES and MV.

Sounds like a solid method! Does your rifle have a 26" barrel as well? I found data in the latest Nosler manual and they show 7828 being one of the slower powders with a 200gr, but their test rifle only wore a 24" barrel. They were close to 2900fps with a max load of 7828 but I believe with the longer barrel, we'll see the velocity bump up a bit because that powder is burning better in the longer barrel. Hope to hear what you come up with! Also hope my rifle doesn't take forever to come in, the curator of the gunshop said the rifle was currently out of stock at the warehouse he normally goes through, but he told me he will look at every warehouse in the country to see if any are in stock! This is my first time doing business with him and right off the bat I can tell he's an excellent man to do work with.

Alright cool! Be interesting to see how close are numbers will be. The only difference in our barrels is the rifling, interested to see how your 5R barrel shoots!
If it's anything like my 5R .308 Win.....I could shoot an F-Class and probably be in the top 5. That thing shoots surgically accurate, day-in and day-out. I'm expecting the same out of the .300 WM, but we shall see.

I have noticed the 5R barrels tend to take about 50 rounds or so before really breaking in. But being the .300WM is a magnum, hopefully it won't take that many.

If it's anything like my 5R .308 Win.....I could shoot an F-Class and probably be in the top 5. That thing shoots surgically accurate, day-in and day-out. I'm expecting the same out of the .300 WM, but we shall see.

I have noticed the 5R barrels tend to take about 50 rounds or so before really breaking in. But being the .300WM is a magnum, hopefully it won't take that many.

Haha it shouldn't beat you up too bad but it'll thump. I'm going to do the, shoot ten clean after every round, break in method. Did this with my Remington 700 Varmint .243 and it shoots excellent! Did notice though, that after putting 130+ rounds down the tube, its becoming a dream to clean! It wasn't too bad before but now it is a few wet patches and a couple times with the brush and its all done!

Still haven't been man... The local range has become overrun with yuppies now, so I'm looking to find some land to make my own private range for just me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.