New rifle modification suggestions

Thanks Mark...weather is just starting to clear here in Maryland so I will be heading to the range soon to shoot this gun.

I like your advice...maybe it doesnt need anything...only way to find out is to shoot it!

Thanks again!

Fred, I don't know what recoil you have experienced, but the 300 RUM packs a good jolt, but I am OK with it. I use a slip-on recoil pad for bench shooting and make sure the butt is very snug right in the pocket of my shoulder. I have fired as many as 50 rounds from it in a 2 hour period (on a cool breezy day). Without the slip-on recoil pad, I would probably be done in less than 10 shots, maybe 5. If it were a dedicated bench rifle, it would have a brake. But since i take it hunting, and I don't wear hearing protection in the field unless I have the time to put it in, I don't have a brake on it. FYI

-Mark

Fred, I don't know what recoil you have experienced, but the 300 RUM packs a good jolt, but I am OK with it. I use a slip-on recoil pad for bench shooting and make sure the butt is very snug right in the pocket of my shoulder. I have fired as many as 50 rounds from it in a 2 hour period (on a cool breezy day). Without the slip-on recoil pad, I would probably be done in less than 10 shots, maybe 5. If it were a dedicated bench rifle, it would have a brake. But since i take it hunting, and I don't wear hearing protection in the field unless I have the time to put it in, I don't have a brake on it. FYI

-Mark

mark,

What slip on recoil pad do you use? Also, what is your bullet weight you use?

thanks,
Fred

I have the black Limbersaver slip-on on a dark charcoal stock with light gray webbing. Appearance wise... at a glance, it looks like it belongs to the rifle. It will lengthen your LOP by about 1" but that hasn't been a problem for me.

I've shot 210 Bergers @ 3100 fps and 180 E-Tips @ 3400 fps through it. My go to load ATM are the 180's.

Fred it can be overwelming. You need to start with reloading equipment. with all the upgrades you want, box ammo could be comparable to putting regular unleaded gasoline in a funny car. Then you will have the capability of fueling your upgrades.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.