New Rifle Build and want Suggestions

newhornet

I am gonna build another Remington 700 Long Action. I want to shoot the very best B.C. bullet in the 95-107 range for up to deer sized game. I have been looking at the 6mm, and have just completed a 6.5X284 with 140 grain bullets...so I want it to be a smaller bore. I would like your thoughts. I have entertained the 6mmAI, the .257 Roberts...(which am NOT that familiar with), and even the .243 though I would honestly like a little more case capacity or "butt" behind it! I went with the 6.5X284 for THIS same reason versus the .260 or the 6.5 Creedmore. It doesn't have to be a 6mm caliber. I am open to suggestions though I wold like to keep the powder charge and recoil minimal. I have shot the .300 Win Mag for years and have GREATLY enjoyed the 6.5 this season with it's limited recoil. Thanks for any responses! Mark

Thanks for the replies.. I have just finished reading up on .257AI...any thoughts in that direction....They are using 100 grainers and quoting 3200 fps. That sounds very effective and the bullet weights are perfect for my thoughts.

Im getting 3175 fps with 115 gr dtacs in my 6x284, it really did a number on my sons whitetail doe this year. It left a fist size hole on the exit at 175 yds.

Nathan

I too hav been very staisfied with my 6.5 X 284..though a lttle larger bore...but I would lilke to stay between 95-107 and possibly 100 grainers. I have a bulleet weight "niche" I am trying to fill...It's the reason I sold my Wife on the fact that I need another rifle... LOL... Just bought the donor Remingotn 700 in a 30.06 LONG ACTION. Love those long actions and ability to set those bullets LONG! Leaning in the direction of the .257AI, unless somebody gives me a BIG negative.....BUT not completely solid yet...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.