New Rifle for whitetail

Dan1942

Ok I am new to long range hunting and I am looking at purchasing a new rifle. I currently shoot a 270 caliber for deer and am thinking I would like to get into long range shooting for both hunting and target shooting. I am trying to decide what my best option would be for caliber , rifle, and scope. I would like to stay at approx. $3,000 or below if possible. I saw quite a few rifles in a 6.5CM would that work for whitetail deer? The longest possible shots I have where I hunt would 500yrds. Besides the hunting I would like something that would do well at the Range and fun to shoot so I can spend a lot of time learning how to shoot at longer distances.
Thanks in advice for any help or insight I appreciate your time!
Dan

just deer. a remington long range in 25-06. or a remington 5-r in 308. if weight is not a concern a savage lrp in 260.

In the .270 you have a suitable cartridge. I'd be curious to hear which rifle, and scope you're using, and how it shoots as is.

I'm always up for a new rifle/scope, and don't need a reason, so I get changing just because.

3 Grand leaves a lot of options open for you. I would look at a Remington 700 Long range, 5R, or sendero. Savage makes some nice rifles for an excellent price, as well as sako/tikka. Anything from .260 Rem on up will satisfy your 500 yard criteria. Whatever is left over from your 3 grand I would then buy nice optics and a reloading kit to get you where you need to be.

Ok I am new to long range hunting and I am looking at purchasing a new rifle. I currently shoot a 270 caliber for deer and am thinking I would like to get into long range shooting for both hunting and target shooting. I am trying to decide what my best option would be for caliber , rifle, and scope. I would like to stay at approx. $3,000 or below if possible. I saw quite a few rifles in a 6.5CM would that work for whitetail deer? The longest possible shots I have where I hunt would 500yrds. Besides the hunting I would like something that would do well at the Range and fun to shoot so I can spend a lot of time learning how to shoot at longer distances.
Thanks in advice for any help or insight I appreciate your time!
Dan

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

lightbulbYour .270 Win is no slouch, esp. when you reload.lightbulb

If you just want to add 6.5 CM into your firearms inventory, check out ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/cYOTKrYhvZA?t=2[/ame]

Ok thanks everyone for taking the time to respond!
I am going to look into the options that people mentioned. So the a 260 caliber would be a better round for my situation then a 6.5CM? I guess I should have mentioned that I am LH shooter as well but I am sure the options listed above should have a LH option.
My current rifle is a Marlin Model X7 .270win. with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 scope .
Also what scopes should I be looking at for this situation and setup.
Thanks!!
Dan

As you get into this it seems your budget is similar to mine its just that i was looking for a larger cal to push the range farther for bigger animals. Some things I considered in my overall budget that you may want to consider was not just gun/scope but a quality base and rings too. Also, reloading equipment and supplies, Kestrel, range finder, things like this all add up too. I am spending as much on my optics as I am on the rifle leaving me with enough to get a good range Finder (Leica) as well as a Kestrel so I will be all set. I am also picking up a range book and getting a good ballistic software program for my Galaxy5. For white tails I would go with a 6.5, .260 or 7mm. If you are not reloading that 7mm would be a great option as ammo is readily available for it and it is a fantastic round. I had one for 20 years and just handed it down to my son. Some incredibly great hunters on this site gave me some solid advice. I truly do love this site!

I'm biased toward the 270 winchester, it was my first centerfire caliber and I love it, for ease of shooting long range with great accuracy a 7mm mag or 300 win mag are great calibers. I recommend the 300 with a muzzle brake, pick a good box of ammo and start shooting. As for scopes the vortex viper have worked beautifully for me and are not ridiculously expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.