Looking for a new rifle

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by KRob, Oct 5, 2004.

1. KRob

KRob Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon this site and you guys seem to know what your talking about so i thought i ask what you guys thought.
    I recently went Deer Hunting for the first time. I got very luck and got my first deer on the first day. I used a rifle i purchesed at the bigginig of this summer for Varmint Hunting (Savage in 223). The rifle did the job but it was more of a lucky shot.
    My question is what would you folks recomande for a hunting rifle that could be used for deer and up but mainly deer. I would be looking for something that did not cost a arm and a leg since i am a poor college student going into the Army after graduation.

2. kmassaro

kmassaro Well-Known Member

If you're on the cheap, get a New England Firearms single shot in 270 or 30-06. About $180 new. Put a Bushnell trophy scope on it, or a Banner for even less $$$.

Learn to hit with the first shot. It will kill anything in the lower 48 with aplomb. You'll learn that there are refinements that you'll like, but a good hunter will do very well with just that basic rifle.

Good luck. You'll upgrade over time, but that will serve you well for years.

If you have more $$$, there are a lot of fairly inexpensive rifles that you can upgrade over time...Remington and Savage are both excellent.

Welcome to the world of hunting.

3. Pahunter

Pahunter Well-Known Member

Savage rifles seem to be very accurate and reasonably priced too. If I was in the market for a budget rifle id be using for deer i would go with a savage. The NEF would be fine too. Are you gonna being using it for long range or just normal deer hunting(300 yards or less, IMO)?

4. Pahunter

Oh yeah almost forgot about caliber. The 30-06 or .270 are great deer cartridges. If you want a little more power you might wanna check out the WSM's.

5. KRob

KRob Well-Known Member

I was thinking along the lines of another savage since i am haveing very good luck with this one. How flat of a trajector is 270 and 30-06. Will these rounds work well with larger game (elk maybe bear). What is the limit on these rounds..max range for a ok shooter useing factory loads?
    Question IMO?

6. kmassaro

kmassaro Well-Known Member

I cannot comment on the max range on any cartridge but I will tell you we have killed 3 elk with as many shots at the ranges you suggest...with a 270/130/partition and a 30-06/150/Rem corelokt.

Shot placement is 95% of killing power. Hit them soundly and good things happen. Shoot poorly, and bad things result.

7. Pahunter

If you want a little more power for the bigger animals like elk and bear I'd take a serious look at the .300 WSM. It would shoot a bit flatter than the '06 and extend your range a little bit.

8. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Lots of elk are killed every year with 30-06 class rifles, and smaller. My daughter uses a 7mm-08, and though that is pretty small for an elk gun, she shoots it well. At 15 she is 4 for 4 years. Shot placement is key. Get something that won't kick your pants off and learn to shoot it well. For that reason I would suggest avoid buying a magnum as a first big-game rifle.

9. KRob

KRob Well-Known Member

I think i have been turned more towards another savage and i am seriously contimplating it in 30-06. Any other sugestions in either riflr or caliber.

Shot placement is everything no doubt. [​IMG]

10. 308 nate

308 nate Well-Known Member

I think the savage is a good choice my only suggestion would be to check out the 260rem

140gr barnes XLC at 2800 fps delivers over 1200ft/lbs of energy at 500yards with minimal wind deflection and very managable recoil.
    FWIW.
    308 Nate [​IMG]

11. erikljoh

erikljoh Member

robins-

I have been in those poor college shoes. But I would strongly recommend selling plasma or your textbooks or start trapping to acquire the extra money needed to pick up a nice used Remington 700 or 721 in 30-06. It is a better gun than a savage, and after you grow out of those poor college shoes you can start to monkey with a new barrel, stock, etc...

The 30-06 is a great round that will do anything you want it to. Plenty of factory loads for a variety of hunting situations too!

12. KRob

KRob Well-Known Member

Ok shooting off to the side now. I go to school in Washington (Gonzaga, Spokane) but my family owns land in Eastern Oregon. How do i move into trapping? What state? Is thier a market for pelts still? Or is trapping and earning money just a joke that i am not in on.

13. erikljoh

erikljoh Member

Kind of a joke, but if you have free time, you can make some money at it. To get started I would search the net or go to a local (old time) sporting goods/hardware and just ask. The DNR or whatever it is called in Washington should also be informative.

There is still a market, however reduced, for fur. It is more of an excuse to be in outside when all the seasons end.

I am in MI, so we don't have the same terrain, but if there are creeks, ditches, and woods there is stuff to be trapped....

Back to the rifle, I don't know what your budget is, but I would think you could get a used 700/721, Bushnell Trophy scope, and mounts for around $450. If you keep your eyes open and look/ask around you can find a used 700/721 for $300. (at least around here).