caliber for new rifle

rb-yea i realize that this gun isn't gonna be a lightweight, but now that i think of it, last year i lugged my mossberg 835 around the woods a couple of days with no real discomfort, and that thing is no featherweight. i appreciate your insight, but i'm still in young enough to carry something of this weight with not much of a problem

"VS" is varmint synthetic right?I believe that rifle weighs 9lb+.By time you dress it up with rings,scope& bipod.I bet you are up around 11-12lbs.Are you planning on hiking far from the truck?IMHO that is alot of weight to pack any length of time.
It will shoot,I have a buddy with one and his shoots MOA at 1000yds.He just shoots at the bench or from the truck though and does'nt pack it.
Just a thought RB

After I lost 15 lbs...carrying around my 15lb rifle was a cinch!
smile.gif

I have a 308 in a VLS. The gun is more capable than I am. The gun and caliber, in my opinion, is capable of 700 yard deer kills providing the shooter can responsibly place the round in the kill zone. I use a 168 grain A-max behind 44.5 grains of Varget and CCI Bench rest primers. On my off season I practice on chucks, practice being the key!
Good luck with your choice and I hope you have a full freezer this next season.

i think that the 7mm is superior in this case. the bullet has as much to do with obliterating a deer as the velocity though. with a partition, you can reach out to 600yds easy (with a good scope of course) and knock them down but on a close shot, expansion is well controlled and won't blow too big of a hole. as long as you do your job and put the bullet in the right place, either rifle will work.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts