Best stock for a new rifle

oldfamily

I am having a 257 stw made up based off of a Remington 700 bdl ss 7mm mag. Barrel will be a Shilen #5 select match grade ss cut to 29 in. The thing is which stock would be best suited for this. I am looking at a hs precision stock, Bell & carlson, or McMillan stock. I have had experience with the hs stocks with a 700 vs in 22-250. Loved that gun, anyway was wanting to get the best out of the rifle when it is done. thanks Adam

Adam

My vote would be for a McMillian A-3 or A-5. Both handle recoil well and form the barrel profile it sounds like it will be mostly shot from prone or a bench. The A-3 is more suited to hunting IMHO.

I have had HS & a MacMillan stocks and was very satisfied with them all. They were well built and comfortable. I had to bed the HS stocks to get the best accuracy, the MacMillan I bedded but it made no difference in accuracy. I have only seen one B&C and it was quite easy to bend the forearm in to touch the barrel when using a sling. I didn't like that, it was detrimental to accuracy. The HS stocks I had felt just like the remington varmint guns, same drop and length of pull, very comfortable to shoot in differant positions. In my opinion you would do just as well with either the HS or MacMillan. I guess the the real choise is what stock feels best to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.