Best rifle under a grand?

Come on, you can't start a fire (or fight) with that kind of wimpy liquid courage! :D

I know, I dont want to fight. That being said I am not a fan of savage rifles, I will most likely hear about it and thats ok if you like them great. I have seen so many of them with barrel problems. I had one last week that had a .015 wobble from end to center and this was a heavy target model. Also dont like adjustable headspace, you dont see custom actions with a barrel nut. like I said I'm not wanting to fight just stating the way I look at it. I have seen savages shoot great. But the thread says best rifle for under a grand.. not cheapest. I just happen to think the 700 Remington is the best choice.

I know, I dont want to fight. That being said I am not a fan of savage rifles, I will most likely hear about it and thats ok if you like them great. I have seen so many of them with barrel problems. I had one last week that had a .015 wobble from end to center and this was a heavy target model. Also dont like adjustable headspace, you dont see custom actions with a barrel nut. like I said I'm not wanting to fight just stating the way I look at it. I have seen savages shoot great. But the thread says best rifle for under a grand.. not cheapest. I just happen to think the 700 Remington is the best choice.

Hello, I am new here. But, not new to shooting. I would have to agree w/338 Legend. I have owned 3 Savage rifles, all needed help. One, had the bore on the barrel off bad ! All of the triggers were bad including the new accutrigger. The best of the three shot one inch groups at 100 yds. I currently own 2 Remingtons. One 300 Win Mag in a Sendero and 6mm VLS. Both shoot 1/2 MOA's at 500yds. Love the 700 Remington, will never go cheap again.

I would recommend going to Wal-Mart, pick-up a 300 WM or 7 RM in the plain 700 SPS. You can find them for under $350 quite often on sale. If you want more horsepower on the 7 - take it to a smith and you should be able to get a 7 STW chamber for $175, a trigger job $75, a crown $50 and you can bed the action yourself. The stock is not great, but will work to get you going.

ya someone posted that a while ago... what an idiot! I guess he has less respect for his equipment than I have for mine. He never did say how big is target was at 750 either. could have been 3' square for all we know.

what an idiot(video)!!!!!

I am really suprised about people bad mouthing savage. Do they look good, no. Do they shoot, yes. I have a friend who uses one in one of his competitions that requires a factory rifle(balloon shoot). I don't know all the particulars because the level he is at is far beyond mine. Several world records and shooter of the year at 600 and 1000 are under his belt. He also was one of the people to start using a 6mm for 1000yd competition. The facts are everybody makes a bad rifle even a top notch gunsmith. The test is what they do once they find out they have a bad one. I personally would wait and build off a custom action. The cost isn't much more than working over a remington and they tend to be just a little better. I paid $750 for a pheonix action(Glenn Harrison owner original Nesika Bay) this action has all the bell and whistles. Now assuming you get a remington for $300 and square it for $150. Install a sako extractor $110. $125 for tactical bolt handle and flute the bolt. You are up to $685. I haven't even touched on accelerated firing pin or many other differences. For the money I think custom is the way to go. I would at least price out the difference. I know you were after a rifle but I went down this road and tried to build for a price and was always disappointed. Wait and get what you want. Spend the money once not three times like me.

Brent

Last edited: