New rifle caliber

I'm kinda between 300 wsm, 300 win and RUM, I feel like the rum would need a little work to be "enjoyable" to shoot if I were to go that route, defiantly needs a brake, also would probably be too much on whitetail but I'm not real worried about that.
So between the .300 WM and .300 WSM, you have the .308 Norma Mag for which Norma still makes brass and you can find it at Graf's periodically. Don't overlook the .30 Nosler, either. It is between the PRC and 300 UM. I shot the .300 Dakota that is basically identical to the .30 Nosler and had no issued with recoil from an 8lb custom with laminate stock and 1" Pachmeyer. More of a push than a kick or whack. Perceived recoil all depends on how the rifle is stocked. .30 Nosler brass is available with regularity, but isn't cheap and neither is .308 Norma. I shot a .30 Nosler in a Browning HC Speed, but it had a small radial factory brake. No issues with recoil again. I would recommend getting the Long Range version if you go with Browning.

I don't think you mentioned whether you intend to handload or not, and I assume you're thinking of building a custom? These factors will help determine your best path. I figured guys would be all over the Sherman .30 on this one, but I may not have scrolled far enough.

I have not offered you a compelling reason to go away from a .300 Win Mag or WSM, and won't attempt to do so. I think a choice like this has to be determined by the shooter and will be based on availability of ammo/components, rifle parts, or reamers the chosen smith has available. As stated, you won't be wrong with any of them. I just wanted to throw out there that you can go up from .300 Win Mag and still be able to handle the recoil easily if your rifle is stocked correctly. The UM will likely require a brake and the blast will be tremendous. Same with .300 Norma (not .308 Norma!) Keep us posted!

I've use a 300 RUM for about 12 years now it is my primary gun for elk and mule deer . Ballistics are hard to beat in a 30 cal. I installed a nice break on it and tamed it down a lot . I'd compare the recoil to a 30-06 . I enjoy shooting it , long range with some punch at the end . Never lost a lot of meat on deer either, I enjoy it . Put a break on it either way , I didn't lose any speed or accuracy , love that break. The 300 win mag is a great choice too. I like em all. My back up is a 270 wsm my son and I both have taken elk with the 270wsm. And use it for antelope too. So yeah I don't know the 300wsm is a really good choice as well. Shot placement is everything Dad used a 243 win for elk for years. I personally wouldn't use it for elk but if I had to yup I'm confident it do the job. In the end be comfortable with your choice, my opinion is if your comfortable with your rifle you'll be confident too. So much fun to be had. Enjoy it . Let us know what your choice will be.

I'm kinda between 300 wsm, 300 win and RUM, I feel like the rum would need a little work to be "enjoyable" to shoot if I were to go that route, defiantly needs a brake, also would probably be too much on whitetail but I'm not real worried about that.
i own all those but my go to rifle in the 30 cal range is a 300wsm model 70. does every thing a 300 wm does and not over the top like the rum, don't get me wrong, i love my rums. i shoot a 168 barnes ttsx at 3260. killed at least 150 head of game , pigs,antelope, deer, elk, black bear, coyotes, jackal, many species of antelope in africa, gemsbok, wildabeast, black and blue, kudu, and 5 big eland bulls. longest range 623 . just cant go wrong with it, on any counts for versatility, shootability. my 2 cents ,

My recommendation is the 300 RUM based on what you've said you're wanting to do (and you reload as well). I run a 180 Gr. Barnes Triple Shock bullet out of the barrel at 3,275 fps so it matches the scope markings in my Quigley-Ford scope out to 1,000 yards...no problems for me...ever! Good luck in your quest. Let us know what you decide on!

You are on the right track with .300 WSM, .30 Nosler, .30 SAUM, .300 RUM, .30 PRC, etc with no belt. These headspace on the shoulder rather than belt cartridges are easier to size with a minimum shoulder bump, the cases last longer and the chambers are tighter. Case separations, just above the belt often happen on belted magnums. To shoot belted magnums at 1/3 minute (at 600 yards not a hundred), you will need a special collet sizing die. Peterson has addressed the belted case accuracy problem by issuing their .300 Win Mag "Long" brass.

Pay attention to what F-Class benchrest shooters are using at 600 to 1000 yards. You will see a lot of thirty caliber cartridges. Note that the most common rifle barrel length for F-Class is 32 inches. Which cartridge I would choose, would be based on how much barrel I would be willing to walk around with. I have owned reloaded ans shot .300 WSM, .300 Win Mag, .300 Weatherby and .300 RUM. Don't discount the .300 WSM. You can actually purchase Superformance powder right now, which will produce amazing velocities, even from a 24 inch barrel. H-1000 and Retumbo are very difficult to find. Reloader 26 is impossible and Alliant isn't even going to tell you which year, if ever they might import some of this fabulous powder from Switzerland. VihtaVuori isn't much help either, there have been shipments in 2022 of slow powders, but these have sold out immediately.

A member of my range club won the "Nationals" benchrest at 1000 yards (and the all around). He shoots a .300 WSM.

Here is a link to the collet die for belted magnums:
or you can buy one of these.
BBD3651
749-012-579WB
300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM BUSHING BUMP NECK DIE
Mfr Part: BBD3651
and use a 45 colt die to iron out the bottom of the case.

If you don't reload, 300 WM. But if you do reload, you should consider the 30-06 Ackley Improved. Some will disparage the cartridge saying it does not provide enough return on investment in terms of capacity and feet per second over the 30-06, but in my experience, it performs within 100 FPS of the 300 Win Mag and you can shoot standard 30-06 cartridges in it as well. Certainly one of my favorites👍

I live on the east coast but plan on headed out west (Colorado) to some land my uncle just bought and some outfitters land that I'm good friends with. I need a rifle that is pretty versatile. One that I can shoot muleys, elk, sheep, antelope but at the same time wouldn't be too much overkill for white tail over here in SC. I'm a big 30 cal fan, my shots would be limited to around 800ish yards but I plan on working on my skills so that I can be lethal at 1000, any thoughts?
Save the RUM for Moose and Bear. The WM will do anything but the WSM will do the same just as well unless you need 210gr and up, in which case use the RUM. The joy of the WSM is it's very easy to get to shoot great groups. It's also more efficient and therefore less recoil than the WM with same bullet. It'd be my first choice for a .300 mag. You'll enjoy it more and shoot it better. And I have several of all 3 plus .300 H&H and .300 Dakota. So have extensive experience. My go to 30 is the Dakota. The smoothest shooting is H&H.

I debated all the fast 30s and I went with a 300H&H it outperforms a 300wm and it's just classy, I figured if I didn't like I could punch it out to a 300H&H improved

I live on the east coast but plan on headed out west (Colorado) to some land my uncle just bought and some outfitters land that I'm good friends with. I need a rifle that is pretty versatile. One that I can shoot muleys, elk, sheep, antelope but at the same time wouldn't be too much overkill for white tail over here in SC. I'm a big 30 cal fan, my shots would be limited to around 800ish yards but I plan on working on my skills so that I can be lethal at 1000, any thoughts?
It is hard to beat the 300 WIN MAG for everything you are planning on doing and more. There is a wide variety of ammo/bullets available that will fit everything from Deer to Large Bears and everything in between. Simply choose the proper ammo for the task at hand and go hunting. Another thing to keep in mind that 300WM ammo is available almost everywhere, not so much with a 300WSM or the RUM.

If you're not hard and fast on the 30 cal, I would seriously consider a 7 mm something. My favorite all time rifle is a 7wsm. Granted, if doesn't have the killing power of a 300 rum at extreme distances but it is so much more pleasant to shoot. With hand loads and 180 grain Bergers, I'm getting just under 3000ft/sec which retains about 1500 ft lbs of energy at 1000 yards. I shoot steel at 1000 all the time with it but doubt I will ever personally shoot at game at that distance. Both my daughters and several of my nieces and nephews have joined the thousand yard club using this rifle and none of them were intimidated by the recoil or muzzle blast. Add to that the fact that I can load approx 20 more rounds from 1 pound of powder than the rum. I am also intrigued by the 7saum,and it may be the next caliber I try, tho I'm not sure it's enough different to warrant a change. The 7s are just hard to beat for an all around caliber for shootability, BC and killing power.