New rifle caliber

jstreater69

I live on the east coast but plan on headed out west (Colorado) to some land my uncle just bought and some outfitters land that I'm good friends with. I need a rifle that is pretty versatile. One that I can shoot muleys, elk, sheep, antelope but at the same time wouldn't be too much overkill for white tail over here in SC. I'm a big 30 cal fan, my shots would be limited to around 800ish yards but I plan on working on my skills so that I can be lethal at 1000, any thoughts?

I'm a 30 cal fan also. 300 WM is hard to beat all around. I like the 300 prc, 300 wsm, and 300 rum. Hard to go wrong, but hard to choose just one LOL. Good luck on your search!
I'm kinda between 300 wsm, 300 win and RUM, I feel like the rum would need a little work to be "enjoyable" to shoot if I were to go that route, defiantly needs a brake, also would probably be too much on whitetail but I'm not real worried about that.

I'm kinda between 300 wsm, 300 win and RUM, I feel like the rum would need a little work to be "enjoyable" to shoot if I were to go that route, defiantly needs a brake, also would probably be too much on whitetail but I'm not real worried about that.
I use my 300wsm on whitetails and love it. I have a 300rum that I used to take to Colorado for mule deer and elk, but mine doesn't have a brake and to shoot a heavy bullet isn't much fun. Lol. I went crazy and got a 338-378 for elk and it flat out knocks the stuffing out of them. I wouldn't recommend that for a normal guy. So recently I got a 300prc I'm gonna try working up a load for whitetail up to elk. It does have a brake and there's getting to be lots of good bullets out there now being a 30 caliber. So it should be a lot of fun.

I have all 3 calibers depending on what gun weight your goal is and how much recoil you can take. My 300 wsm is a rem model 7 custom kicks worse than my 300 win and ultra but fits in a blind in Canada its great to carry. My 300 win is my go to and my 300 ultra is awesome but large and bulky to carry especially in timber. There's no perfect gun that why there are so many calibers. Plus if your going to start practicing with a ultra magnum plan on barrel life being shorter. If your getting started go 300 Winchester and if you decide to move up you will have practicing and training fundamentals started and not wear barrel out on ultra mag so bad.