30 caliber 245 grain Berger - New Rifle Build

30 Hammer

New build started specifically around the new EOL Berger bullet.

Thoughts please!
300 RUM Chambering
Obermeyer 26" 5R 1-9" twist stainless barrel.
Axial Precision Convergence Mag Action
Axial Brake
McMillan Game Warden Stock
Trigger Tech "special" trigger
Nightforce ATACR

Really excited about the new action, having shot their short action hoping for the same great things out of the mag.

will the 4" mag box be long enough? Very interesting. I heard a rumor that they were coming out with 245 gn .30 cal bullet. Where did you get this info? Straight from berger?

I would think in order to take advantage of that bullet you would want a barrel at least 30".

Liking your build specs!
I like the rum (have one myself) but I would seriously consider a 300 off the 338 Lapua case. Much stronger/tougher brass available and pushing the 245 you likely will want all the case size/pressure you can.

will the 4" mag box be long enough? Very interesting. I heard a rumor that they were coming out with 245 gn .30 cal bullet. Where did you get this info? Straight from berger?

I run a 4" with my 230's (Coal is 3.86) I think it should be feasible to run the 4" and still load 90 grains of powder..

I think the 30" barrel would be a lot of fun but not so great getting in and out of a scabbard .

The 26" should get us to about 3100fps in a .300RUM case - it will be looooong just like the 28 Nosler / 195gr Berger combo.

Getting excited now - the barrel is in from Boots -
What am honor for me to have one of his barrels. Some folks wouldn't care or tell me that modern machines are better at cutting barrels but I am old school and think that having a barrel from someone as legendary as Boots is awesome. I will say he was great to work with too - he answered every question I had and even gave me some new ones. I got the feeling he's forgot more than most people know about this type of thing.

The Axial Precision action is special as well as it is made in Boise (home) and I have actually become friends with the owner. Another very kind and passionate gun guy.

Agree completely on the Wyatt mag. Wish someone would build a drop box with a little bump like the old Weatherby optional extra round one. I put that option on a .300 Ultra Light build I did a few years ago and like having that one extra round.

I do have the caliber / weight confirmed from Berger, expect the final specs in 4 to 6 weeks.

245gr of 30cal @ 3100fps at .8 BC could get real serious.

I think the 30" barrel would be a lot of fun but not so great getting in and out of a scabbard ��.

The 26" should get us to about 3100fps in a .300RUM case - it will be looooong just like the 28 Nosler / 195gr Berger combo.

What am honor for me to have one of his barrels. Some folks wouldn't care or tell me that modern machines are better at cutting barrels but I am old school and think that having a barrel from someone as legendary as Boots is awesome. I will say he was great to work with too - he answered every question I had and even gave me some new ones. I got the feeling he's forgot more than most people know about this type of thing.

The Axial Precision action is special as well as it is made in Boise (home) and I have actually become friends with the owner. Another very kind and passionate gun guy.

Agree completely on the Wyatt mag. Wish someone would build a drop box with a little bump like the old Weatherby optional extra round one. I put that option on a .300 Ultra Light build I did a few years ago and like having that one extra round.

I do have the caliber / weight confirmed from Berger, expect the final specs in 4 to 6 weeks.

245gr of 30cal @ 3100fps at .8 BC could get real serious.

I seriously doubt getting 3100 at safe pressures out of a 26" pipe with a 245. I'm getting 2950 out of the 230's.

I'm going to have to talk with Kirby about it but I'm thinking about doing a 28" 1-8.7 bartlien barrel for my 300AX for this bullet and set back the current barrel and have it rechambered for 300WM. I figure 3200+ FPS to be reasonably obtainable from the 300AX.

What am honor for me to have one I got the feeling he's forgot more than most people know about this type of thing.

I believe that. He even forgot my barrel order. And after my third reminder - months later, he forgot I ordered a .308 barrel and built a .338 barrel.

Never heard from him again after I supplied my original order specs. So I ordered from another barrel maker. Just one of the reasons it took 2 1/2 years to complete my rifle build.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.