New reloader

Guys on this forum could probably be classified as using two basic types of reloading equipment and loading techniques.

First might be termed as benchrest grade reloading whereby they are doing everything necessary to wring out the maximum accuracy potential of their components and gear (using arbor-type presses and doing fanatically precise things to the cases, bullet seating etc.). Hitting targets past 1000 yards requires the degree of perfection that the benchrest guys also demand. Speed of production is not a high priority with these accuracy bugs.

The second type might be classed as average to advanced reloading using standard gear. I believe that there is no standardized brand - although RCBS and Redding probably dominate. Learning to reload ammo is fairly easy, learning to reload really accurate ammo takes a bit of experience and skill. I have a couple of progressive presses that can turn out near half-miute shooting ammo - if I can hold onto the rifle with enough skill, not sure I need much better for much of my shooting.

You mention electronic accessories - I happen to use them and appreciate the added speed and usually increased accuracy that they offer - this includes electronic scales, powder dispenser and trickler, case trimmer. They are not essential to producing good ammo, and sometimes the unit does not function as quickly as expected, but the tools that I use all work well (all RCBS). I find that I sometimes have to get out the manual to calibrate a scale or dispenser - they have too many buttons (2 is far too many in my opinion).

You cannot go wrong with Redding or RCBS reloading equipment. If you demand even higher accuracy then obtain a catalog from Sinclair (lots of benchrest stuff) and go to the next level up. There are lots of guys on this forum who use this equipment, I am sure they will help out with info if you need it.

Thanks Ian for the usefull information!Oh by the way,is it true that Sask now holds the world record for whitetails?Just heard from a guy last night.Dont know if its a rumor or not.It wouldnt suprise though,with Sask being the largest producer of B&C whitetails!Thanks again.

You are correct. A guy named Milo Hanson shot the buck a few years back on his own land - it scored a little over 213 B&C. I was fortunate to be selected to do virtually all of the photography on the trophy so I have been around it a bunch.

Call me if you shoot a bigger one...
ian

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.