New .338LM reloading help

bast0573

I bought a Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua Magnum And started reloading. Im using Lapua brass, H1000 powder, magnum primers and I believe 250 gr. Hornady projectile (cant remember the name of the primers or which projectile it is off the top of my head - but will get that here in an hour). Basically, I'd like some help with safe loads for accuracy and help figuring out the best COAL. any help would be greatly appreciated! please keep in mind, I'm pretty new to this. Thank you in advance.

edit: I'm using Federal magnum primers and Hornady GMX 185 proojectiles. I am open to a different projectile though... I heard Nossler and Berger are amazing but maybe I'm misinformed. again, I'm looking for accuracy more than anything. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Do a search on here or check out snipers hide reloading depot section. This shouldn't have to be said but... remember everyone's personal loads are subjective to their rifle. Start low and slowly work up. Grab a couple reloading books while you're at it! Here's from my digital Hornady book.

Attachments

• 2F3270AC-1A89-488C-937B-E7AE7506419F.png
    2F3270AC-1A89-488C-937B-E7AE7506419F.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 77
I shoot a 338 Lapua my current load with federal primers Lapua brass 94 grains of retumbo and a burger 250 grain elite hunter bullet shooting one hole cloverleaf groups at 100 yards velocity is about 2950 But it goes with the usual disclaimer start lower work your way up Also compare information from several loading manuals they vary quite a bit you don't necessarily have to buy one most companies offer their information online for free

Last edited:
I bought a Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua Magnum And started reloading. Im using Lapua brass, H1000 powder, magnum primers and I believe 250 gr. Hornady projectile (cant remember the name of the primers or which projectile it is off the top of my head - but will get that here in an hour). Basically, I'd like some help with safe loads for accuracy and help figuring out the best COAL. any help would be greatly appreciated! please keep in mind, I'm pretty new to this. Thank you in advance.

edit: I'm using Federal magnum primers and Hornady GMX 185 proojectiles. I am open to a different projectile though... I heard Nossler and Berger are amazing but maybe I'm misinformed. again, I'm looking for accuracy more than anything. Thanks again!
If your looking for accuracy......when is the last time you saw Hornady or Nosler win a serious bench match????

My 338 RUM hated H1000 but absolutely loves RL26. With the H1000 I was able to get 2750 with 300 gr Bergers at 88 grains and 2950 with 285 ELD M at 92.5. My velocity was up and down all through the ladder test so I switched to RL26. But the accuracy was there with both bullets. CCI 200 primers were used for both

When I loaded .338LM, I tried H1000,and RL25, I tried 250gr Sierra bullets but settled on

300gr Sierra MKBT
Federal 215M primers
92.0gr/ Retumbo
Lapua Brass
OAL = 3.60"

Retumbo gave me the best in accuracy and a lower felt recoil impulse.

FWIW I tried the Winchester LRM primers and had a lot of misfires.

I also tried to reload Hornady brass - Crap!

The way it sounds, I'm on track with the lapua brass and federal 215 primers, but need To test the h1000 vs retumbo with a better bullet like Berger.

My 338 RUM hated H1000 but absolutely loves RL26. With the H1000 I was able to get 2750 with 300 gr Bergers at 88 grains and 2950 with 285 ELD M at 92.5. My velocity was up and down all through the ladder test so I switched to RL26. But the accuracy was there with both bullets. CCI 200 primers were used for both
Try reloader 33 or Retumbo

Last edited: