NEW !!! Prototype Stock

Joel Russo

This new stock is a joint effort by Glen Seekins and myself. It has been in the "makes" for quite some time. Glen worked his magic on a blank of pattern wood, and came up with this masterpiece.
I will be producing them in laminate as early as next week.
We don't have a name for it yet, so we'll just call it "the new stock" for now.

What are your thoughts?

AR5-16.jpg

AR5-15.jpg

AR5-13.jpg

AR5-14.jpg

AR5-12.jpg

That´s the A3-A5 clone many may have been waiting for.

Looks great; do you think the forend could be thinned? in order to save some weight if used in a hunting rig.

Awesome for a LR hunting rig ¡¡

alg,

The forend, in it's present state, is 2.5" on the flat. I can certainly shave it down, and conversly make it wider for the F-class shooters.
I could marry my 3" A-5L modified forend to this stock.

Hmm,....I am gonna have to buy a barrelled action just to use that stock¡¡¡ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Looks like a great prone stock. Only thing I would change is to narrow the forearm a bit, and add a little to the comb & heel (I realize that you would then have to slot the heel for a cleaning rod, but for me it is worth it).

How about "the rangemaster" (if that does not infrige on Remmy).

Doug, why not make the comb high enough so you could bore a hole through the stock for passage for the cleaning rod?

Joel, i bet you love that idea!!!

How about a version precut for an adjustable cheek piece. If you supplied them cut with an extra chuck that needed minimal fitting to get in place that would be a nice option. It might be more of a duplicating headache than you want though. It looks nice the way it is too.

This stock is a quite bit different than an A3 rear A5 front McMillan combo. The but pad is slim so it fits a normal sized person and is also rounded and shaped more like a traditional stock, it's not flat sided like the A series. The top of the comb is rounded and a bit narrower as well as the bottom. The bottom just happens to fit in my bunny ear rear BR bag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. The grip is shaped completely different and is no longer ambidextrous. The goal was to make your hand fit perfectly when it was in its relaxed state. The grip is offset and canted just a bit, similar to what a prone stock is just not as exaggerated so it is comfortable in all positions, not just prone. There is a swell on the palm in the correct position and I carved out a place for the base of your thumb to set into the stock. This allows your hand to position on the stock while it's relaxed. Your trigger finger will naturally fall in place and you don't have to search for that sweet spot on your grip so you will be more consistent from shot to shot. The comb is about 3/16" higher than McMillan. It should be just high enough that you will be able to get a bore guide in without a problem.

Joel and Heetseekins...

Very nice....might have to sell my laminated A-5 I just got from Joel and get one of these.

"why not make the comb high enough so you could bore a hole through the stock for passage for the cleaning rod?"

Dave,

A high heel is (IMHO) VERY neccesary for prone shooting. When you set the buttplate into your shoulder for a solid position, the higher the heel the better. If the heel is low, the stock wants to; a) slide down off your shoulder and b) not engage the full mass of your shoulder (this results in dificulty in consistantly reproducing recoil motion).

I shoot with a lot of pressure pulling the stock back into my shoulder: Using either a front rest with my hand pulling back, or a target sling (my background is Highpower)

I recently got a similar stock (Richard's benchmark), and ordered it with a 1/2" highter comb and heel. First I inletted the comb so that I could get the bolt out, then I mounted a boresighted scope, dialed up 20 mins. of elevation, and cut the comb down until I got a perfect cheek weld. Then I notched the heel so that I could get a cleaning rod through.

Sure, and removeable comb/heel would have done the same thing, but I was trying to keep this rifle simple. The end result looks very much like your stock, Joel.

I will post a pic when I am done, if anyone is interested.

Doug

Well I wish this would have come alog sooner , it would have saved me alos of time with a rasp and some blisters!!!

I take a rasp and dremel sander to all my stocks in the grip area so its more coped out to fit the right hand better , I got a pretty big hand and I find that this works the best. I'm also working on both of my A5L's getting an adjustable comb unit figured out , I haven't decided what style I want to build yet ,

Hey Joel , you remember that thing that I did to the Sako L691 stock , I did it to the SA Rem 700 to , this time trying to tap a newly bedded action free. I thought about putting a pin in it first but got in a hurry and wanted the gun bedded , oh well live and learn.

These stock gonna cost the same as the A5L's

Thanks for all the comments guys. The stock will allow a cleaning rod to be utilized without notching the comb.
The price for this stock will be the same as the A-5L. All the standard options will also be available for this stock. Recoil pads, studs, pillars drilled, etc..

Hey JD, call me 717-805-0940

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.