New Laminate stock faulty?

Sendero4406

I purchased a new laminate stock. The color is "Pepper" aka black and gray. The stock arrived in a unmolested box and has quite a few imperfections in the finish. The imperfections appear to be rust colored spots as if a wet paint brush with rust colored stain had flicked nearby it. I called the vendor and they informed me that it was a "common" trait of all laminate stocks. She said it is very common for the stain not to take at spots on the stock and the underlying wood to show. My stock as 20 "flecks" on one side and 6 spots on the other. One long one on the bottom of the stock.

Seems like a line of bull to me though I have not owned a lam. stock before. Is this type of finish to be "expected" from a new laminate stock? Do I return it?

My factory Remington LSS with the Pepper stock has a few of those flecks. Not that they bother me at all. I think it adds character to the wood.

I've seen that on every salt/pepper stock I have ever had. I get other colors since they don't seem to show it as much.

I've seen that on every salt/pepper stock I have ever had. I get other colors since they don't seem to show it as much.

Chances are, the laminated stock you bought was made with material from Rutland Plywood.
For some reason, the black/black panels seem to encorporate more of the rust colored flecks you are describing. It is streaking in the birch wood that does not take the dye.
I used to hate them, but learned to deal with them as they do add character.
If the stock is un-finished, and they really bother you, you can hit them with some black Aniline Dye.

I purchased a new laminate stock. The color is "Pepper" aka black and gray. The stock arrived in a unmolested box and has quite a few imperfections in the finish. The imperfections appear to be rust colored spots as if a wet paint brush with rust colored stain had flicked nearby it. I called the vendor and they informed me that it was a "common" trait of all laminate stocks. She said it is very common for the stain not to take at spots on the stock and the underlying wood to show. My stock as 20 "flecks" on one side and 6 spots on the other. One long one on the bottom of the stock.our Granite Gray

Seems like a line of bull to me though I have not owned a lam. stock before. Is this type of finish to be "expected" from a new laminate stock? Do I return it?

When I got my first load of pepper laminates in years ago I inquired about that fleck in them. I also spoke to the Rutland rep. It was explained to me they were "heartwood" and nothing could be done. Then I was asked to look closely at a pepper shaker, darned if that color was not in it. Shut me right up LOL.

FYI the Revolution "Bone Gray" stocks we carry are not Rutland. Much darker black with far less if any of it. I actually put a pic of both stocks up on another forum and took a survey, figuring the Bone would beat out the Pepper, I would make the changover on our new lineup and save the world from pepper flecks. Not. Lengthy arguments were made for the beauty of those flecks. You'd thought I decided Pluto was no longer a planet. So I brought in our "Granite" from Rutland, but we still carry some Revolutions in Bone.

Thought you'd like to know ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. My only experience with a laminate stock was with an early 70s Herter's varmint stock and since I did not observe any color imperfections in the old stock ( dark brown, blond combo) I assumed that any imperfections in color with the new technology would be a QA issue.

By the way..the LRT is one sweet stock. My buddy, an Alaskan and former Navy range master, scoffed at laminates..but he left my house with a changed mind and will be ordering one soon for his 700. :D

The gray flecks did not bother him either! Said it gave it a proper wood "character".

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts