New stock for Rem. 700

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by mrbofus, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mrbofus

mrbofus Well-Known Member

Looking for advise and opinions for a stock replacement for a Remington 700 30-06.
    This has been my primary hunting rifle for many years then kinda worked it way to the back of the safe.

I replaced the stock wood with a boyds thumbhole a few years back and never felt that comfortable with it.

Now I am considering bringing new life to the 700 with a new barell and different stock and glass.

This is by no means a 'long range build" so in YOUR opinions which stock should I look at in the say up to $500 range?

This will be a general hunting rifle carried over many a mountain.

Any input appreciated.
    MB

2. PhulesAu

PhulesAu Well-Known Member

B&C A3 was my choice, for a R700 in .308. light, non absorbent, and under your desired price.

3. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

4. mrbofus

Thanks,

I have been looking at B/C, Mcmillian and HS presision ( on line ) but without actually touching and feeling its hard to pick one.

I know I want synthetic and like the aluminum block.
    MB

5. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

I've played with all of them at the SHOT Show, and own a few B&Cs, one HS and one McMillan.

It's hard to beat the B&C, and I don't know that the HS is worth the extra $100 difference, especially for a "regular" hunting rifle. The two appear very similar in design and execution. So, I buy the B&C myself and install them on my rifles.

The McMillan is another level, and are at their best with pillars and bedding (though I highly recommend bedding the B&C as well). It's just that I'd never use a McMillan without doing that. Thankfully my McMillan was exquisitely bedded by Hill Country Rifles for the previous owner before I bought it, and it is a wonderful piece.

6. mrbofus

Thanks for the advise.
    I will give B/C a real close look.

MB

7. Damascus

Damascus Well-Known Member

I've used almost all Remington 700 stocks available out there... In my opinion, for a hunting rifle, you can't go wrong with an H-S Precision Police Tactical stock, preferably with the adjustable length of pull option. I carried this stock into combat in 2002/2003, and can vouch for it's accuracy and dependability.
    The other H-S tactical stocks (and McMillans) that have high cheekrests and vertical grips are good-looking, and are excellent for prone and bench shooting, but a hunting rifle (as with a sniper rifle) needs to have a stock that is comfortable shooting in ANY position, since you never know what you'll need to do to make a shot... The vertical/high cheek stocks are also generally heavier than standard contours are.
    My favorite stock for the 700, for ANY use, is the Accuracy International AICS 1.5, which runs around $850, but by the time you buy another brand stock that is fully adjustable, than add a detachable magazine bottom metal, you've probably spent more than $850!
    Bell&Carlson makes decent stuff - I've used their Lightweight Tactical stock, which runs around $250, and it's a good all-around unit. Also used the fully adjustable A5 unit, which I'm not a fan of - rough blocks, and huge lug recess requiring bedding... All B&Cs have the rough blocks, but that can be overlooked for $250 - but not for $475! Add another $100 and just get an adjustable H-S or Manners T2/T4!
    I recently ordered a Choate "Ultimate Sniper" stock for a customer, and for $200, was actually surprised at the quality. I was expecting a piece of crap, but it actually seems decently built, with a decent V block for bedding. Although tacky looking, and extremely heavy, that might fancy you.
    Good Luck!