New pack recommendations

Smokepoles

Looking for recommendations on a new pack. I've been using a badlands superday for a couple years that fits my needs pretty well but looking to get into a frame pack that's not too bulky but has more space and pockets. Just need carry a bow or rifle, drink bladder, spotter, normal small stuff, enough gear for an unexpected sleepover and hopefully an elk quarter. outside of an occasional elk hunt it'll be used mostly for day hunting where the frame won't be needed so if possible I'd like to find a lightweight less bulky option. Thanks for any advice, I have nowhere anywhere near too feel them out in person.

I have this pack frame:

Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter Frame and Harness Only : Cabela's

I bought it last year and while i didn't manage to bag anything, i used it to pack in some materials for a spike camp as well as a couple shorter backpacking trips. It carries very well I can tell you that!

In fact, i found to be as comfortable under load as my big internal frame expedition/winter backpacking pack (Gregory "Denali Pro").

All the fabric, seams, welds, straps and connector bits are of the higher quality I see on my expedition and climbing packs. The "fastex" connectors are all from durable material (Delrin?) - not the cheap, plastic stuff you find on bargain pack frames.

I used a day pack to actually store my gear in while hunting so i don't have the "matching" pack bag Cabela's sells, but i don't really need it either...

Thanks major, i bet that would be great for hauling meat. I'm thinking more along the lines of the eberlestock team elk or just one if you have any experience with that style of pack. I guess I'm looking for more of a beefed up day pack than a bare frame, I apologize if I worded it wrong.

i got a Eberelstock x1a2 from the LRH store and am quite pleased with it. it is a little stiff at first, but with a little break in period it will suit me perfectly. the structure/frame of the pack is rigid enough i would not hesitate to put a bit of meat in it without any reservations. the scabbard i am not sure i will use, but i have been playing around with it to get used too it.

Check out Stone Glacier. Eberlestocks were too heavy for my liking in the western mountains. Very please with my Stone Glacier.

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here. Kuiu. They make several sizes from 1800 cu in on up to 7200 cu in. They have an ultra lite line and a icon pro version. They have a carbon fiber frame and you can pack your quarters between the pack and frame. The ultra pack doesn't have a lot of pockets and the harness system to me doesn't adjust quite as fine (this is to me), believe the 3000 cu in pack weighs right at 3 lbs total. The icon pro packs have quite a few pockets and the harness seems to me to adjust for a better fit. With that said I don't know which pack I really like the best. If I was keeping the weight fairly lite (20-40 lbs) I would probably say the ultra. If I was going to pack heavier loads quite a bit and was wanting more pockets it would be the icon pro. If I remember correctly they are both rated to 150 lb. Good luck

I have a eberlestock just one pack,Nimrod pack,and 2 kifaru suspensions old duplex and new hunter version with a mtn rambler/AMR with a cargo panel also. I like he Nimrod for day hunts and being able to come out with a quarter if needed. but the kifaru does most everything better for me. eberlestock is a extra now. it's hard to choose without being able to try them on to see how they fit. packs are like boots to me. try a few to find what works best for you. I do like the kuiu design also. exo is another brand out there I don't think anyone has mentioned yet,but haven't been able to use one of them yet

Thanks guys, I got the superday a few years ago on a whim and have been happy with it except for that if I fill my bladder with ice in the morning I can't put my spotter in the pack or it will fog up. I stalk hunt south Florida most of the year and there's not much need for a frame (our average mature buck is about 140lbs on the hoof) but I could see it being useful here if I could keep the weight down enough to carry it in our 95 degree archery season.. it seems without being able to try them on its more or less a guessing game on what will fit. I'll check out everything mentioned, thanks everybody for all your help

I bought the Kifaru new hunter frame, AMR bag, and the cargo panel. I had been using a Blacks Creek Canadian. It's about 3000 ci and weighs around 6.5 lbs. The Kifaru frame and AMR weighs around 6.5 lbs, but it's 7800 ci. Don't let that big of a bag scare you. It packs down very nicely into a day pack mode.

I love my eberlestock x1a1. Here is a pic of me packing out my first antelope buck last fall. I am carrying the full cape (along with a 16lb rifle, spotting scope, tripod, sand bag, and 2L of water) and my stepdad had the meat in his team elk pack. I'm not sure exactly how much weight I had in there but I'm sure it was over 50lbs and it was a little much for the x1a1, but I think the x1a2 would handle the load much better. I tried carrying the team elk and it didn't feel quite right no matter how I adjusted it. I'm making a fiberglass frame to stiffen the x1a1 up a bit (free) but I'm also toying with the idea of getting a just one since I have elk on the "to-do" list in a few years. One thing I like about the x1a1 is that there are pockets and webbing everywhere on that thing and it makes organization a breeze.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.