New Norma brass 30.06

Cubbear

Hello everyone. I'm new to your site although I have enjoyed many of your discussions for months now. I recently began to reload again. Lot has changed since the early 80's. I recently purchased so 30.06 brass Norma brand. After opening the new bag and examined a few I felt I could just add primers and begin my loads. After priming about 50 cases I began re checking my primer depth and found these cases I primed and was disappointed in the quality control I got. Many of the cases were out of round on the mouth slightly flat on one side with the exception of the obvious case mutilation. I hand primed them with my Frankfort hand priming tool. These cases reminded me of lessons you learn from previous lessons that I've forgotten. I'm not complaining by any means. I'm glad I found some brass and will re correct these abnormalities and will strive to be a better reloader so I can teach the generations to follow to do things right. Inspect all your new brass first. I hope this doesn't happen to you. I feel the pandemic will create some quality control issues which I took for granted. I'm also seeking advice for sizing bushings for my Redding dies and powder charge using Barnes 165 ttsx bullets in my tikka rifle. I will use lupus brass exclusively for my hunting rounds. I have shot many cow elk with factory rounds and shoot the lead free bullets because of condors in the area that re introduced near the area I hunt. The bullets are very impressive in the Ethics I hold to harvest an animal to feed my family. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and shoot straight and often.

Attachments

• 0F98903A-38D3-4E74-910D-AC223C25B35A.jpeg
    0F98903A-38D3-4E74-910D-AC223C25B35A.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 1288113E-8913-487F-A610-7C2AF174753D.jpeg
    1288113E-8913-487F-A610-7C2AF174753D.jpeg
    952.7 KB · Views: 40
That's, a SHIPPING, or, Packing,.. Issue !
I have, NEVER seen, Norma Brass, look like, that.
Got in, 200 rds of, Norma 6 XC Brass from Bruno's, a couple of months ago and they were, "perfect" !

Last edited:
First of all welcome to the forum from Tennessee as far as your brass yes it's a little beat up and it happens but with any new virgin brass I always full size before using.I definitely like my Redding competition dies as far as bushing sizes make a dummy round measure the neck deduct .002 or .003 and that would give you your bushing size.

thank you y'all for the expert advice on neck sizing bushings and comments made regarding this topic of conversation. I emailed Norma with additional pictures and received a email response that afternoon. I was informed my information was being re directed to their warehouse indicating to me it maybe be a shipping issue or a problem with the lot number I provided. To my Suprise I was informed i could be receiving replacement brass which was totally unexpected. Thank you Norma and everyone for your expert advice. It was inspirational as I set at the reloading bench made my dummy rounds and ordered my bushings. Thank you all.

Cant add anything regarding the brass as I think the others nailed it.

I have been around a couple years but like you listened and learned a while. Still listening and learning too. I would like to offer one correction to your initial post and that is that you said "I'm new to your site...." - it is our site, you included (actually it is Len's but he lets us play here) so welcome!