30.06 or 6.5 Swede

michael30.06

:confused: Hi I'm new to the forum and have been reading lots of the posts. Great information. I have 2 old military surplus rifles in good condition both have nice tight actions and have good bores. I want to develope one for long range hunting for deer and wildpigs. The rifles are a 1942 swede in 6.5X 55 and a 1943 Springfield 1903 in 30.06. I am comfortable shooting and reloading for both. Which would you recommend for a stock and bedding job and an investment in nice glass. And most importantly why would you pick one over the other? Thanks for your time.

I would go with the Swede! It has less recoil, plenty of excellent 6.5 bullets to choose from, and better ballistics.

The Swede for sure! Why? (1) don't like .30-06 (2) my dad had a 6.5 x 55 Swede and it was very very accurate (sub .5" @ 100yds) (3) better LR ballistics and bullets (4) way less recoil. JohnnyK.

Is there something to be said for leaving them in origional condition for colector value in the future??

I just sighted my CZ 550 in 6.5 Swede in today for my first ever hunting trip this Thanksgiving. I've gotta say, it's more accurate than I'll be any time soon, it's got nearly zilch for recoil, and it's just a neat cartridge to shoot. I recommend it in theory... hopefully after Thursday I'll recommend it in practice, too!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.