New Lightweight Rifle

ANDREW RICKETTS

I recently had a custom 300 win mag built for me, with intention of going out west (I'm in Virginia) on an elk hunt or something similar. My intention were to build a fairly lightweight rifle, and the specs were as follows -

Action - Defiance Hunter LA
Stock - McMillan Game Hunter
Barrel - Proof Carbon Sendero 26"
Trigger - Jewel Trigger
Bottom Metal - OEM Remington 700
Scope Rings - Leupold Mark 4 ALUMINUM
Scope - Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50

However this rifle didn't exactly end up being all the light, however it is extremely accurate within what I have practiced at. (Has not been beyond 300 yards, however I do plan to practice out to 600/750)

So, I am looking to build a rifle for strictly whitetail/black bear in Virginia, light as I can possibly get, like super light. Something I can sling around and walk mountains with.

I am not opposed to a light factory, yet accurate option. I also am not opposed to having one built.

Does anyone have a lightweight rifle they swear by? That can reach 300-400 yards accurately.

Thanks guys, let me know.

Tikka t3 308 is what I pack in WV. Leupold 3-9. Also check out the ruger Hawkeye compact, I believe it has a 16" barrel, would also be ideal. Best wishes

How much does the package weigh....scoped, loaded, and slung? Though, it would be a pretty insignificant drop in weight, a 26" barrel really doesn't help a .300 WM very much! Plus, with a shorter barrel of same contour, "may" be a little stiffer, perhaps giving "slightly" better accuracy! memtb

Personally I'd (actually I am) swap out the stock for an edge fill, second lose the rail n rings and get talleys. You'll drop a solid pound or more. Also are you running the sendero light proof?

I have almost the exact set up minus the proof on a stiller with a modified med Palma 25" bartlein. I weigh in at 10.2lbs, after my mods I will be a lot closer to 8.75-9lbs. You could lose an extra 0.3lbs with a different scope.

I've been toying with the idea of spiral fluting but like yours my gun hammers. I don't think I want to be too much lighter than 9# bc of recoil. I'm running 215's @ 2900fps 93B04875-52F6-4C58-8451-C31E697FB22A.jpeg

Sendero vs sendero lite saves a few ounces, but barrel flexion goes way up between the two. Anything 24" or longer I recommend full sendero. There are stiffer carbon barrel manufacturers out there as well.

Tikka T3 lite can be found in the $6-$700 and from the ones I've handled shoot MOA or better. Have used one in 300 mag and it did kick a bit pre-muzzle brake, but what do expect with under 7lbs and that caliber? Personal choice on how to proceed with that. Also I've been eyeing some of the browning hell's canyon or even western hunter rifles - have hunted with guys that used them and was pretty impressed overall for what they are.

From all the times I've tried it's hard to build something long range that actually turns out "light" :) Have a whole closet of 9-10lb rifles because of this.

Also like some said, a bit can be saved with scope and rings/mounts, eg:

Leupold backcountry integrated ring/mount is an option
Maybe a vx3i would work on a "mid range" gun, maxing out at 14x and saving weight, and cost, over your vx6 for sure. There are a lot of scopes just under or at 1lb that do the job as well as 20-24oz options at closer range, but I understand mag power is personal preference. I personally like 24-30x for anything over 4-500 yards. Just feels better
This may or may not matter - some may say why save 8 oz in mounts/scope on a 9 lb gun? That being said I would think twice about a once piece mount and certain rings + vx6, or vortex razor, or steiner, etc on my tikka t3 or christensen summit TI. It's all situational.

As a 10+ year deer, elk, and goat guide in Colorado I've finally (almost) learned to be realistic in expections. You can shoot 4-500 yards with a light gun that is built for more "normal" hunting (timber stalking, meadow sitting, etc), and then have a rig if you're into long range that weighs as much as it needs to (legally) and is built to pack in and set up. I've personally messed up hunts (and have seen several clients too) from trying to have a single, heavier "do all" rifle option that wasn't right for the task and not being able to complete a quick pull up off hand shot, even though they could hold sub MOA at 800.

You can buy a Christensen Mesa in 308 win. 6.5 pounds, 2.7 oz for tally lightweight mounts. About $1200 retail

My 2 factory Remington 700's SPS Buckmasters in 7mm-08, both shoot sub half MOA with hand loads and weight just over 8 lbs, for me this is light weight vs my 10.5 lb 7mm Rem Mag.

I'll take my 7mm-08 againt anything any day of the week, I know it inside out including the drops of the several bullets I use out to 500m.

I take it when hunting coues deer and will in some cases go 5 to 6 miles in one day with it.

My sons Rifle's Inc Strata weighs 5lb 4 oz. Around 7lbs with a VX6 3-18 HD, Talley rings, a sling, and full mag.

It shoots 3 shots with either the Barnes 129gr LRX at 3200 fps or the 150 Nosler Long Range AB at 3000fps into 1/2 moa groups. Either load is plenty good to nearly 1000 yds at 5000' elevation. The 129LRX has been great on deer and elk. We shoot it prone out to 800 yards accurately. We have never shot it further.

I recently had a custom 300 win mag built for me, with intention of going out west (I'm in Virginia) on an elk hunt or something similar. My intention were to build a fairly lightweight rifle, and the specs were as follows -

Action - Defiance Hunter LA
Stock - McMillan Game Hunter
Barrel - Proof Carbon Sendero 26"
Trigger - Jewel Trigger
Bottom Metal - OEM Remington 700
Scope Rings - Leupold Mark 4 ALUMINUM
Scope - Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50

However this rifle didn't exactly end up being all the light, however it is extremely accurate within what I have practiced at. (Has not been beyond 300 yards, however I do plan to practice out to 600/750)

So, I am looking to build a rifle for strictly whitetail/black bear in Virginia, light as I can possibly get, like super light. Something I can sling around and walk mountains with.

I am not opposed to a light factory, yet accurate option. I also am not opposed to having one built.

Does anyone have a lightweight rifle they swear by? That can reach 300-400 yards accurately.

Thanks guys, let me know.

There are literally tons of options out there.

You don't want an ultralight magnum though so you might want to think more in terms of something like the .264wm or 6.5 PRC. Both quite adequate for your purposes but won't beat you completely to death.

I have a very nice .264 CDL SFII that is an excellent shooter.

The Winchester Featherweights would also be ideal.

I have been here before! I have sold a 338 norma mag, and rebuilt a 264 Win Mag for a second time due to the same reason. I decided to do something opposite of what I usually do and I bought a factory gun, put the lightest quality scope I could find and started reloading. That gun was a Tikka T3. After 2 sessions at the range I fell in love with it. I highly recommend the Tikka T3. I have a 7mm Rem Mag with a VX3 4.5-14 x 40 with CDS. I can consistently shoot under MOA at 500 yards. It is right around 8lbs and it does not need a brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.