New Lightweight Rifle

I recently had a custom 300 win mag built for me, with intention of going out west (I'm in Virginia) on an elk hunt or something similar. My intention were to build a fairly lightweight rifle, and the specs were as follows -

Action - Defiance Hunter LA
Stock - McMillan Game Hunter
Barrel - Proof Carbon Sendero 26"
Trigger - Jewel Trigger
Bottom Metal - OEM Remington 700
Scope Rings - Leupold Mark 4 ALUMINUM
Scope - Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50

However this rifle didn't exactly end up being all the light, however it is extremely accurate within what I have practiced at. (Has not been beyond 300 yards, however I do plan to practice out to 600/750)

So, I am looking to build a rifle for strictly whitetail/black bear in Virginia, light as I can possibly get, like super light. Something I can sling around and walk mountains with.

I am not opposed to a light factory, yet accurate option. I also am not opposed to having one built.

Does anyone have a lightweight rifle they swear by? That can reach 300-400 yards accurately.

Thanks guys, let me know.

I recently had a custom 300 win mag built for me, with intention of going out west (I'm in Virginia) on an elk hunt or something similar. My intention were to build a fairly lightweight rifle, and the specs were as follows -

Action - Defiance Hunter LA
Stock - McMillan Game Hunter
Barrel - Proof Carbon Sendero 26"
Trigger - Jewel Trigger
Bottom Metal - OEM Remington 700
Scope Rings - Leupold Mark 4 ALUMINUM
Scope - Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50

However this rifle didn't exactly end up being all the light, however it is extremely accurate within what I have practiced at. (Has not been beyond 300 yards, however I do plan to practice out to 600/750)

So, I am looking to build a rifle for strictly whitetail/black bear in Virginia, light as I can possibly get, like super light. Something I can sling around and walk mountains with.

I am not opposed to a light factory, yet accurate option. I also am not opposed to having one built.

Does anyone have a lightweight rifle they swear by? That can reach 300-400 yards accurately.

Thanks guys, let me know.

I have a Remington Model 7 with a laminate stock that my son and wife gave me for my birthday years ago. It has a 20 inch barrel and is chambered in 7mm-08. It shoots anything I load for it from 140 grain Berger's to 160 grain Accubonds or 150 grain partitions sub MOA. It is good enough for any of Virginia's big game and will shoot 300-400 yards as long as I hold up my end. It's topped with a Leupold 3-9x40 and I've added a Timney trigger. I'm considering a Leupold firedot 3-9 with a milling reticle as an upgrade.

Here's a boring answer. Our's will stack em up with 120's to 150's . Havent tried anything heavier.

Attachments

• D38E5A02-8C09-4679-9E2A-42EFA44126F5.png
    D38E5A02-8C09-4679-9E2A-42EFA44126F5.png
    360.5 KB · Views: 310
I have a Remington Model 7 with a laminate stock that my son and wife gave me for my birthday years ago. It has a 20 inch barrel and is chambered in 7mm-08. It shoots anything I load for it from 140 grain Berger's to 160 grain Accubonds or 150 grain partitions sub MOA. It is good enough for any of Virginia's big game and will shoot 300-400 yards as long as I hold up my end. It's topped with a Leupold 3-9x40 and I've added a Timney trigger. I'm considering a Leupold firedot 3-9 with a milling reticle as an upgrade.

I have a 7 MS that I purchased as soon as they were available in .257 Roberts.

X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed 6.5 Prc Talley rings 3x15 42 SWFA scope
Right around 8 lbs
1/2 inch groups at 100 yds

Last edited:
I just got a Ruger Scout 308 website says 7.1 lbs comes with open sights and rings if you want to scope it. I put a Nikon P Tactical Superdot on it 4.2 oz. Already has removable mags pick up some 3 or even 5 shot instead of the included 10 round (2). So its about 7 1/2 but I got to tell you it don't feel much over 5 really light points good and shoulders fast. Maybe ol Jeff Cooper was on to something

I've built a couple ar's that were sub-6lb sub moa guns. Even got one under 5 lbs(before optic). It's not that the super light stuff can't shoot well its just that it's harder to do it without a really good shooting position, you have to be really solid and wind fights you more the lighter the gun is.

I've always hunted with a Remington 700 in 308. Tikka t3x superlite would be high on my list if I was looking for a new hunting rifle, you could put a carbon fiber stock on it to save a little more weight. Mesa makes their altitude stock that shows 24 oz for the tikka.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.