New Hand loader

RCrem700

I'm pretty new to long range shooting, and up till now I have just been practicing with factory loads.I want to start hand loading for my 7 rem mag, but I really have no idea where to start. It seems like pretty much every company sells kind of an entry level kit. Wuold one of those be a good place to Start? or would I be better off buying everything seperate?How much do I really need to get started? Thanks for your help.

RCrem 700

I started loading back in the early 1960's (under my dad's supervison). He had a Lyman 310 tool. It was like a pair of pliers that you screw a die into. One die for decap/resize, one for expanding, one for priming and one for bullet seating. He also had a cheapie balance beam scale for weighing the powder. We didn't know about (or at least ignored) case length/trimming. We were hunters and didn't shoot all that much so we got away with that. It turns out that there was a lot we didn't know.

I would recommend that you read the excellent book "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee (the guy who started Lee Precision). After you have read the book you will have a much better understanding of how to proceed for the kind of reloading you want to do. I load for accuracy where some load for volume.

When I got tired of the Lyman 310 tool, I bought an RCBS Rockchucker. RCBS equipment isn't the fanciest but it works and is easy to find in stock most everywhere - but though it works for me, it may not be the best for you.

In summary, get educated then buy the equipment. (I would not buy a reloading kit as kits don't have the best of everything which you can get if you buy individual pieces.)

It's really not that hard to get started. Hornady and RCBS make decent kits. You can spend as much as you want, it's up to you. But you really don't have to. Simple kits produce accurate rounds every day. Make sure you get a nice digital scale. A caliber is nice also. YouTube videos can walk you through every step. It can be a simple process, but the more you put into it the more you get. Components, like powder and primers can be a pain to find, so just be patient.
Just start with a simple kit like the Hornady L-N-L classic single stage kit, and add to it later. A case trimmer is a nice add on. That's the same kit I bought and I'm slowly improving my setup. It turned my 260 into a tack driver. Both my 44mags love it as well.
But seriously, YouTube is great! I know for a fact there are videos on there that show you how to use that exact kit. Once you get started you'll see that it's not really that hard.

I agree with both post. A few things you will need with rifles especially, is a case trimmer you don't want to load over max length. Also once you get good at making accurate loads you will want them to look pretty so you will probably want a tumbler. I would look at a bullet puller also you will need to pull some bullets at some point. And if all possible find an experienced mentor to learn from. Good luck. I enjoy reloading as much as shooting..

RCrem 700 has a lot of good points. The best is the modern reloading manual, get it and read it! A second manual for cross reference is also recommended, (I myself use the nosler and IMR web page for cross referances).
You cant go wrong with the locknload classic kit, add a trimmer a trickler and a set of calipers

At the risk of being accused of heresy, let me begin by saying that I'm not a big fan of kits. Every "kit" I've ever seen has items you may not want or need and items that range from good quality to inferior to some degree.
OK - so what?
First, read a very good book on reloading. Don't buy anything until you've read the book. A good one (previously described) can be purchased here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N8OKAU/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Next, when you know precisely what you will need, study all makes and models of what you want to put into your first set of tools.
Do you want a turret press, a single stage enclosed press, or something else.
Should it be a Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Dillon ?????????

https://www.google.com/search?q=rel...YJY&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1375&bih=1035&dpr=0.9

Do you want RCBS dies, Hornady Dies, Redding Dies, or something else.

Will you want a digal of beam scale (or both)?

Perhaps you want the RCBS 1500 ......

https://www.google.com/search?q=rel...=1035&dpr=0.9#channel=fs&q=RCBS+1500&tbm=isch

Will you prefer the Hornady powder trickler, the RCBS model, or something else.
What case lube .... Lee, RCBS, Hornady (Spray, wax, cream)
Read a wide range of forums where reloading is discussed. This forum is great, So is SHOOTERS' FORUM - Index and others where reloading is discussed AND ASK QUESTIONS. Serious, mature reloaders are happy to answer your questions and none of them will demean you for asking - there ain't no dumb reloading questions.
Watch the listings on the various forums for items that other reloaders might want to sell. You may find something that's on your list at a better price than you cold get it commercially.
You're going to be looking at reloading presses, powder measures, dies, scales, trimmers, turners, primers, powder, primer seaters, primer pocket cleaners, brass cleaning tumblers and tumbling media, and lots of other neat stuff. After you've read that book you'll understand what you need to build your own "starter" kit with items you feel you truly want and not something that someone else has assembled with good intentions that may not actually suit your fancy. gun)

RC, all responses make good points. I started with a kit and have given away most of it. Replaced with more accurate and better quality tools. I could have saved a lot of cash researching and purchasing a piece at a time. I will probably never be satisfied with everything and my son likes the hand-me-downs. Just my thoughts. Good luck

I have a forester press, rcbs scale, a Lee trimmer, rcbs puller, Lee measure, rcbs and forester dies. And a rock polisher for a tumbler. Its a Hienz 57 set up but I found what works for me through trial and error....

As all the post above gave lots of good info and a kit is probably the easiest way to go but I think one of the best things is to get with someone that reloads and you can run through some of the reloading steps with them. Lots of good presses out there to buy...but almost all the stores carry RCBS stuff. Mine has been a great press and if I would have bought a hornady it would be a great press as well. There is only one press that I know of that I would stay away from and that is the light weight Lee challenger press. I had a hard time getting my 257 weather mag brass to size right in this press. Later found out the pine in the ram had warped a little. Its still on my reloading bench but I only use it now with a bullet puller die. I use a single stage rock crusher on all my reloads. I use redding dies because I think they give me the best resizing on my necks and cases. I started off using reddings from the get go though. The best thing I added to my reloading bench was a electric powder dispenser with the intergrated scale. Its and RCBS charge master. My next item I want is a stainless steel wet tumbler to clean my brass. Just my 2 cents to add in here.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have now ordered the book, "Modern Reloading" as was suggested by several people. As soon as it gets here I will get reading, and see where I decide to go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts