Equipment List for new loader

Blacktail

Getting ready to place an order for my first reloading set. Was thinking bout starting with the supreme RCBS kit with the digital scale and such. Can you guys get me a list of all the other stuff i am going to need.. Going to be loading primairly for my 7mm STW..thnx

Blacktail ,

Howdoo -The rcbs stuff is a good place to start.
I -myself have never seen the need for a digital scale.I use a powder measure and a small beam scale and a rcbs powder trickler.The powder measure will get you very close then you can dump it into the pan and weigh it,i make sure it throws a kernal or two light then get it just right w/ the powder trickler.
You'll need dies [i like lee collet myself].
A caliper to measure with -rcbs is good.
A reloading manual or three.
I looked at the kit in my midsouth book -->dies and caliper.
Brass , powder ,and 180gr jlk vld bullets.
Do you know how to measure your chamber? -Mike

if you do want to go the the collet die for the 7STW... they don't make it. You can however use 7REM mag collet dies with a short stack of washers between the shell holder and the die. Saves you about$30 over having lee make one custom. The do stock flsizing and seating dies for the stw however.

The RCBS kit is a great way to get started. However, you can also just look at the items in the kit and purchase what you really need seperatly.

I just switched to a Forster Co-Ax press and really like it. My old Rock Chucker press is still set up though and some 20 years after I purchased it in an RCBS kit is still working just fine.

Here are the basics;

Press: RCBS or Forster

Powder measure: digital or balance beam (both work just fine)

Powder dispenser: RCBS is fine to start with.

Case trimmer: RCBS is fine

Chamfer and deburring tool: RCBS, Wilson, Lyman....

Primer pocket cleaner: any

Sizing lube: Imperial sizing die wax or Hornady One shot case lube

Shell holder(s): For cartidge you will be loading. (not needed with Forster press)

Priming tool: Every serious loader I know uses a hand held priming tool. RCBS, LEE, Sinclair (spendy, but the best)

Caliper: most are good, the more you spend the better.
Micrometer: not as necessary as the calipers but still usefull as you progress.

Loading blocks: get more than 1. They are cheap.

Reloading Manuals: Nosler, Barnes, Sierra to start with.

Optional

Neck turning tool.

Concentricity measuring tool.

I'm sure I left something out that someone will correct me as necessary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. RCBS, Lyman, LEE all make good equipment and for the most part it is a Ford, Chevy, type debate on which one you like. There are other brands out there for some items, Forster, Sinclair, Hart, Wilson........ their equipment is often superior, but is always more expensive.

Check out Midwayusa.com and Sinclairintl.com. You can max out your credit card in a hurry on either site /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Again, the RCBS kit is a good way to get started as it will have just about everyting you need. However, you will want to add some things pretty quickly or upgrade as you get started and learn more about loading.

Good luck, have fun and most of all, don't deviate at all, not even one single component from the loading manual. A bullet of the same weight from a different manufacture can alter pressures significantly (up or down) some primers are hotter than others, etc..... You will learn over time and experience to deal with these and other things and be able to safely branch out a little. But to start with, stay with a known load listed in a manual and start at the low end of the load and work up toward max. NEVER start with the max load.

I like RCBS but what ever you do buy a kit as it will save you alot of money to spend on other items.Start with a balance beam(comes with kit)then go electric,Dies I like RCBS,Redding, and Hornady.
Manuals- Speer(comes with RCBS kit)Lyman,also Bullet manufacter manuals as they will be bullet specific.
Lots more to add.
Be safe and don't be afraid to ask alot of questions the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask

I might as well hop in here...
I like the information you've been given, I'll just add that I'd go for the Forster case trimmer. It doesn't have nearly the flex that the RCBS model has.
Hornady makes a really nice priming tool.
If you can afford it the RCBS case prep station is fantastic, making short work out of tedious case preparation. When the bits wear out, replace them with the Lee set that's way better.
If you go for the RCBS powder measure (well, any of them really) go the extra $ and get the baffel for it. Keep the measure 2/3 full and the charges will be incredibly uniform.
Get a log book for your load developement! Write down seating depth, charges, primers, trim length, group sizes, everything you can think of! 10 years from now, you won't begin to remember what loads you've tried or how they worked, but if you've gotten it archived the info will be there for you.
Good luck and happy shooting.
Coyoter

I like my forster seater dies with the micrometer top. Makes seating a breeze. They come in a two die set with micro seater and fl seater. I also bought a redding neck sizer as well. I neck size only until it gets tight then I fl. Forster & Redding dies are in a league of their own.

I highly recommend a RCBS chargemaster dispenser & scale. Accurate and convienient.

If you really want to spend some $$$ the Giraud trimmer is simply amazing. Just stick a case in and it trims, chamfers, and deburrs in seconds.

I also recommend a redding T-7 turret press. You can keep 7 dies in it at one time and simply rotate the top to change dies. It's NOT a progressive press, just a single stage with multiple dies. Plus, its build like a tank.

Most important, get a good set of calipers.

Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.