New Guy question

As a matter of fact I shoot pistols rather a lot. Additionally I'm old enough to remember being taught the push pull grip in my military days. For clarification, are you saying that the push is coming from the shoulder and the pull is coming from the firing grip bottom 3 fingers? Or is the non firing hand coming into play?
Great! Yes. I try and use the bottom two fingers to equalize minimum pressure from my shoulder, establish a good cheek weld, unload the thumb(no squeeze) on the side of stock. Practice good trigger pull and reset trigger after returning rifle to its original position. I want a straight recoil with no barrel lift. I think when your bipod moves with recoil it needs to slide backward smoothly(no bounce). Some even put skies on their bipod: I don't. I use non firing arm to stabilize my body, but I am a bit inconsistent with its location: wind and the like. I hope this helps and there is still more to learn from others on this web. I do use a MB with an Omega suppressor. Good luck

A lot of great information on form and technique related recoil management. I had never thought of the off-set bipod leg length. I did however start shooting a brake back in 1991. I had a 700 classic in 300Wby and from the prone recoil would fill my shirt with dirt or whatever I was laying on. With the addition of an inch and a half radial brake I went from almost selling that beast to adding it to the plinking arsenal. That one took some practice and it's distance dependent, but I can usually see the impact before the gun shifts out of the field of view. The biggest challenge is overcoming the blink reflex with the addition of the brake concussion. That does add a level of concentration, and at least for me actually helps my follow through and completing my trigger pull. I spend a lot of time chasing pheasants and waterfowl so my trigger pull can get a little "slappy".

So yes 4 inch groups with factory ammo at 800 yards is really good. Your doing great and are doing better than average easily.
I don't shoot 4 inches at 8. I shoot 4 inches at 500 yards on my good days, with hand loads. I only have hunting type rifles and the heaviest I own right now is a Ruger #1 in 30 cal. I am just super impressed with the results and methods to get there from a lot of you guys that compete. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

One thing I've learned is most guys shooting competition or just for hunting are very sharing of information. Seems everyone wants to help in some way or another. Just a great community of people.
Shep

From your picture I don't see that accuracy is a problem. By putting a brake on it should only make it even better because it will reduce the recoil that will in turn help you see your impact. It might change your impact zone a little but once you re-zero you'll be shooting the same size if not smaller groups because of less recoil. Then take it up one more notch and put a can on and you'll never go back. It does change your impact by 2" low but once you re-zero you're spot on. I've never experience flyers.

Yeager, Thanks for the clarification. I'll give it whirl. Handguns is a language I speak. Once upon a time I could hit 6" plates at 100yds pretty easy.

To clear up something on my accuracy, I wasn't shooting 4" groups at 800. I was testing my cold bore reliability on a 4" plate at 350m. One shot can I hit it on demand yes or no. It seems I can but just can't spot the hit. I have to wait for the rifle to settle out of recoil then re-acquire my sights on target to see if the hit is there. The pic I posted was a 3 shot group fired from 400yds on a 12" steel plate.

With that rifle I'm usually good for 3/4 to 1.25 MOA depending on the day I'm having. Like I said to someone earlier, the rifle shoots better than I do for now.

You guys have been great with the advice. I have a brake on its way. I'll do some before and after testing and let everyone know how that helps.

I've been reading the forums here for years. I've finally decided to ask a question that I don't remember seeing previously.

I've been having a hard time spotting shots from my .308win. Its a varmint profile factory barrel and mounted in a B&C stock with the aluminum block bedding. Its topped with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2, 3-18x50. I have printed some really good groups with military Mk316 Mod 0 ammo. I have access to a big range in eastern NC and shoot to 800 whenever I get a chance.

My problem is spotting my shots. I know I have pressure on the bipods. I check NPA, inhale, close eyes, exhale, open eyes still on target. I believe I'm square behind the rifle but obviously I can't see myself to confirm.

My question is: Is it possible to overload the bipod? Could I be putting too much pressure on it causing it to slip under recoil? Shooting surfaces vary, sometimes its gravel, sometimes grass some times rooftops.( like I said its a big facility), today was in my pasture with real tall grass.

My accuracy seems fine. I was shooting a 4" steel plate today at 350m. I could see the target swinging after the hit but can never seem to watch the impact.

Let it rip fellas, I got thick skin, and thanks.
Good shooting even if you didn't see the impact.

D
I've got the measurements written down and been to their website at least a half dozen times, cart filled and just never placed the order.

If I don't like the result I can always take it off I guess. That's why I was looking into the clamp on brakes in the first place. Maybe I'll spend the money and just drink cheap coffee for the next month.
drinking "Cheap" Coffee is like Liking Cheap Wine, and Cheaper Women! 😂😂😂

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.