New Guy, old California

Appreciate all the info and I'll definitely check out those videos. I'm not against forgoing some 5 star meals in exchange for those million star vistas at night.

And you're right… I, like others, have a tendency to get caught up in the planning but without an actual activation date it ends up feeling like I'm just doing donuts in a parking lot. Fun for a minute, but I'm not getting anywhere!

He's a good kid living the dream!

You all are super welcoming, thank you very much!

I grew up just outside of SF so my outdoors experience only came when we could get out of the city to do fishing, camping or hiking. I live in Los Angeles now which puts me close to the 395 and I already like backpacking there. I've had offers from friends to do some local hog hunting but my more adventurous friends are trying to get me out to Idaho or NM (which honestly sounds pretty great too, but I feel I should start small)

I do promise to share what goes on out there, I figure if I'm doing something right or could be doing it better, I should be as aware as possible. I know the best way to learn is from my own mistakes but I think if I can learn off our collective experience, I'm making the most out of this forum
I missed the part of being in So Cal. I'd take up the offer to hunt pigs if you feel like the friends would fit your hunting style and ethics. And then branch out to more adventurous hunts. Whichever fits your wants. After many hunts with friends I'm pretty careful who I hunt with now. Probably because I'm getting old and grumpy lol.

I missed the part of being in So Cal. I'd take up the offer to hunt pigs if you feel like the friends would fit your hunting style and ethics. And then branch out to more adventurous hunts. Whichever fits your wants. After many hunts with friends I'm pretty careful who I hunt with now. Probably because I'm getting old and grumpy lol.
I definitely take it as a compliment they are inviting me! It's good to have friends you can be happy talking with as well as being comfortably silent. Even better if these friends enjoy the great outdoors and have some good recipes to share haha

Hello!

Looking to get into hunting one day but for now just enjoying reading and learning what I can. Still working on the fundamentals but I think once I get comfortable it will be a great experience.

Thank you for all the great info!
Welcome from another SoCal member. You will get some great info here. Hunting here is getting tougher by the day.
Mike

Welcome from another SoCal member. You will get some great info here. Hunting here is getting tougher by the day.
Mike
Thank you for the welcome! I wish I had an extra day of the week just to surf these forums. I really feel like if this lifestyle takes ahold I may not stay here, or at the very least the Los Angeles area.

Thank you, Josh! So far only enjoyed Colorado Springs in February but I'd like to go again and see more. I think a clear highlight of the visit was and is Garden of the Gods