New Guy, old California

Hello!

Looking to get into hunting one day but for now just enjoying reading and learning what I can. Still working on the fundamentals but I think once I get comfortable it will be a great experience.

Thank you for all the great info!
Good to read! Put what seem right on paper. To prepare for reloading. There more to it and meets the eye. Been reloading now for 60 years, and still learning. I am from Cal., but I now call it Mexico-North. Just about to complete my move to Montana, been there 14 yrs now.

Good morning all! Some coffee and a little bit of reading go well together. Super happy to be welcomed so warmly. Warm as the North Mexican sun as Mike M might put it!

I dove into handloading as my pandemic hobby. Probably not the best timing to get components but I had most of the actual equipment I wanted by then and it seemed a shame to let it sit. Didn't help that my first load development took me about 200 rounds.

Lessons were learned and now when I get close to an actual, performing load… I plan to stop messing with things and just be happy. Honestly a lot of life lessons can be learned and applied through these disciplines.

This is way, way down the line but one day I want to try hog hunting in Texas. I'm still new and learning about what every state has to offer but I've seen photos of my buddies hunting at night for their Bachelor parties so that landed firmly on my bucket list.

Unfortunately I'm somewhat unfamiliar with PA so far but I found out yesterday one of my best friends plans on moving to Pittsburgh to be with family. I have family in Virginia so that would be a nice visit to see both and maybe check out some ranges on the east coast.

Thank you! I need to see more of Oregon!

I plan on my first one or two excursions to be with someone seasoned and I'm hoping to just be their pack mule in exchange for some eyes on/hands on experience before I make an attempt myself. I'd like to know in advance what to do in the event of a successful hunt so I'm not caught in some ravine somewhere trying to YouTube a how-to video. Now that I'm thinking about it, a guided trip for first hunt wouldn't be a bad step at all, although I know those aren't cheap!

Thank you! I need to see more of Oregon!

I plan on my first one or two excursions to be with someone seasoned and I'm hoping to just be their pack mule in exchange for some eyes on/hands on experience before I make an attempt myself. I'd like to know in advance what to do in the event of a successful hunt so I'm not caught in some ravine somewhere trying to YouTube a how-to video. Now that I'm thinking about it, a guided trip for first hunt wouldn't be a bad step at all, although I know those aren't cheap!
No they aren't cheap but that's how I got started. Of course there are other ways to do it. Hunting was much less expensive when I got started. It's a process/ journey. I went on two semi guided self hunts. After that I'd go on hunts with friends and then all alone. After awhile the harvest became less important than just being out there for ME. You'll find your way to hunt and your perspectives on it. Enjoy the process!

No they aren't cheap but that's how I got started. Of course there are other ways to do it. Hunting was much less expensive when I got started. It's a process/ journey. I went on two semi guided self hunts. After that I'd go on hunts with friends and then all alone. After awhile the harvest became less important than just being out there for ME. You'll find your way to hunt and your perspectives on it. Enjoy the process!
Thank you!

I'm still in that honeymoon phase and figuring out the whole workflow. I know if I go with a formal hunt, I'll get a chance to get some proper top down instruction. Not that I wouldn't glean anything from my friends and peers but professional guidance is appreciated. I remember taking a rifle class knowing that each dollar spent on that class is two dollars I'd save on a miss downrange.

Or at least that's the mental gymnastics I perform to justify it

In my opinion the honeymoon phase reoccurs with each type of new adventure you undertake. Experiences are second to none, not even the best articles, stories and forum posts.
I thought a massive whitetail deer would be the biggest thing to get me going, but then I fell in love with dove hunting in Missouri. Couple years later it was pheasants in SD… now I'm trying to get out for big game or to try my hand at western public hunting and it's like the passions start all over again. each species is almost like a new girlfriend. Some new Different gear to buy to keep her happy, different places to go to get her done.
There is a guy on our Missouri Whitetails forum "teenagehunter" that made a bunch of videos about DIY public hunting all over the US, especially out west. Lots of YouTube videos of it. He without a doubt has proven to me that if you have the desire, you can absolutely hunt without paying tons and tons for guided hunts… of course, he isn't going back to the lodge for 5 star cuisine in the evenings either.
My advice, don't wait for the perfect hunt or the perfect guide. Plan something, plan it soon and get out there… each day we are all one day closer to not getting to go back out for whatever reason.
Good luck and Godspeed

Appreciate all the info and I'll definitely check out those videos. I'm not against forgoing some 5 star meals in exchange for those million star vistas at night.

And you're right… I, like others, have a tendency to get caught up in the planning but without an actual activation date it ends up feeling like I'm just doing donuts in a parking lot. Fun for a minute, but I'm not getting anywhere!

You all are super welcoming, thank you very much!

I grew up just outside of SF so my outdoors experience only came when we could get out of the city to do fishing, camping or hiking. I live in Los Angeles now which puts me close to the 395 and I already like backpacking there. I've had offers from friends to do some local hog hunting but my more adventurous friends are trying to get me out to Idaho or NM (which honestly sounds pretty great too, but I feel I should start small)

I do promise to share what goes on out there, I figure if I'm doing something right or could be doing it better, I should be as aware as possible. I know the best way to learn is from my own mistakes but I think if I can learn off our collective experience, I'm making the most out of this forum
You should accept your friends offer and go pig hunting. It is a great way to start leaning about hunting and having some fun.
Besides there a way too many pigs running around...