New Gun...Shooting Tomorrow!

I know that, but mag length should not be an issue. The greater issue is the length of the tip to ogive that would cause it to jump quite a bit. The bullet measures 1.521" which is a fairly long bullet. Almost half of that length is the taper to the ogive.

I have read an article on 6mmbr.com where a guy using a .284 Win. actually seats a hair bellow the ogive because the bullet is to long to seat to the lands. If I remember correctly, he is using the 162 A-Max. If you work the powder up slowly, pressures should be seen before it becomes a safety issue. I have a feeling that mag length would not seat his bullet that deeply.

Tank
i dont think i made a clear statement. what i ment to say was "to low of a powder charge" (and yes seating can do that also)

I have several loads worked out some fit my mag some dont. my 180 grain loads fit my mag nicely (hornady sst) but my 208 grain loads are way to long. thats ok because to vmax 208s are my long range load and i would rather fire them single shot style so as not to damage the tips with recoil.

3 fingervic how do you like that vortex? how is it on 32x?

I haven't shot it at max power. I did set it up at the kitchen table and focus it on a telephone pole that's 750 yard away. It was clear as a bell. My buddy from work came over to see the gun. He got behind the scope and was shocked at how clear it was at that power and distance. I would have loved to get a high dollar scope, but the funds weren't there. I did a lot of research on scopes, and the Vortex kept coming up. I'm very happy so far, and I'm told if I'm not in the future Vortex will stand by thier product.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts